The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Books on f*lse sh*ffles (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 13:25, mrehula wrote:
Also, I like to practice my false shuffle when I don't have to - it helps build confidence for when it is actually needed.

Very good point.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I just attended a lecture by Karl Hein. He has a DVD devoted to false shuffles. His Heinstein Shuffle is very good. Here's a link: http://www.karlhein.com/

Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
@BarryFernelius, unfortunately the link to the video doesn't work :/

@mrehula, I agree with you, the more the false shuffles you do look like real shuffles you also do the more deceptive they are. I don't have Simply Simon yet, I'm already working on the false shuffles from Green's Masterfile, I'll see that later. I also do perform my false shuffles at other moments, it really helps.
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Sorry about that. Perhaps the video isn't viewable in France.?

Other folks: did the link work for you?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
I didn't work earlier but now it does Smile I do it more angled than he does, is that a problem?
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2537 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-30 09:48, Artemis17 wrote:
I didn't work earlier but now it does Smile I do it more angled than he does, is that a problem?

It's not necessarily a problem. If it leads you to slide the cards from both packets forward in a way that looks nothing like a real shuffle, just to provide cover, it could be a problem. Remember, I've never seen you execute this sleight!

JJ Sanvert is another person who does the Zarrow shuffle beautifully: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAKSNyb7tk
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
FlorianHeller
View Profile
Regular user
Bonn, Germany
200 Posts

Profile of FlorianHeller
Could I send you a link with a video of me performing it by PM? It would be great.
Eeeeeeeet hop disparu !

www.florian-heller.com
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2537 Posts

I'd be happy to take a look at your video. I look forward to your PM.

-Leonard Bernstein
djacob
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of djacob
Here's one more link to a video of a Zarrow Shuffle, being done by none other than Herb Zarrow himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly7xf0FccvI
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
I don't know how you intend to use the false shuffles, but one characteristic that the false shuffles (also cuts and heap cuts) from Lennart Green that I like it is that they don't look "normal" shuffles. If you can take advantage of that in the design of your trick it is really powerful.

Also, as it has been well pointed above, the gaze and the way you interact with the audience are important. But be careful. Interacting on the wrong time or manner could have the opposite effect, the audience is not sure whether you have shuffled, or is a foggy memory. It's like they didn't see the tricky part of the shuffle but neither the shuffle itself.

Tamariz calls the attention to the shuffle in a subtle manner, to make sure everybody remember the deck is really shuffled. In his show it goes something like this: he asks people, while doing a false riffle shuffle, "How do you call this action", when he gets the answer "shuffle" (or any other) he changes to a false overhand shuffle and asks again "How about this one?" and maybe people respond "To mix the cards". Everybody will remember the cards were mixed, but at the same time asking questions to the audience, and look them at the eyes is strong misdirection.

This relates with what I said above about Lennart Green's shuffles. Because they are "strange" they are able to compose an image that stays in the audience's visual memory.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2014, eetu wrote:
@ Mike : I was actually referring to his earlier set “The Classic Green Collection”. Although some false shuffles are introduced in Masterfile, I think you get a lot more variety from these dvds (among them, I can think to some angle shuffles, which are extremely convincing, but mostly for table work, where you are sitting). In Masterfile, the focus is particularly on his Green Shuffle, and Rosetta shuffle which brings a nice display of chaos, but in my view doesn’t really match with what a casual shuffle looks like.

eetu,

Thanks for that response. I have been remiss and failed to check your response until just today. My bad. And, of course, my apologies for such poor manners.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Books on f*lse sh*ffles (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL