The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Imagination Coins - Quick Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
hankinsk
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of hankinsk
I have worked on stacking the coins and I've had the opportunity to try it out on one of my strolling performances at my local pub. It seems to work just fine. Thanks for the suggestion in your post.

Regards
Trace Hankins
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
I'm going to a lecture by Garrett next week. If I remember, I'll ask him.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Received mine today and I like it, there is no difficult move or anything, but the concept is strong !
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
shakuni
View Profile
Special user
958 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Before I order this, I have a question. Can this be done with an unexpanded shell? I am asking because I want to do it with coins from my country and I only have an unexpanded shell for it. Thanks.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yes. Without owning it, yes it can. Obviously you couldn't borrow the other coins without switching them out.

I have been really intrigued at the disappointment from buyers that the vulnerable phase has not been adequately covered.

Quite honestly, there isn't a sure fire way to do this. Right? I can think of several ways to lessen the tells, as I'm sure can the rest of you. But, really, we all know what's going on here, and you have to do it when optimal, and see when to close it down, and how to move on gracefully and swiftly.

Perhaps this is what was not covered? Although plenty of folks have spoken about the audience management aspect of the teaching. Personally, I think it is less audience management, and more audience sensitivity.

My whopping, limited run, signed and embossed, £2,000 a copy's worth.
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
I think concerns about the visible discrepancy in the open-handed first phase are somewhat misplaced.

Fact is, if *you* were stacking the coins in the spectator's hand -- as you do in the second phase -- they might have some cause for concern. But in the first phase you cleanly place 4 (?) coins in their hand and *they* stack them. They have no reason to be suspicious. As far as they're concerned, the trick hasn't even begun. The moment to be more concerned about, in my opinion, is the moment *after* the reveal, when you tap the stack in their hand to show that only three coins remain. But the heat is immediately displaced from this by picking up the three coins and indicating that the "imagination" coin is really real and handing it to the spectator to examine.

I hope this helps to assuage some of the worries that have been raised. Overall, I found this to be a very good product. My one complaint about the DVD is that I wish Garrett would more carefully script and rehearse his teaching. This would make it easier to learn from him. (Compare, for instance, the careful scripting, rehearsal, and multiple takes that obviously go into Eric Jones' DVDs.)

Jason
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
383 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
Ii'm looking at rhe stack rin my hand rigjt now and if they are neatly stacked I can't tell how many are there... Looking straight down.
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Quote:
On 2014-02-16 12:19, John McLaughlin wrote:
Ii'm looking at rhe stack rin my hand rigjt now and if they are neatly stacked I can't tell how many are there... Looking straight down.

Agreed. *Any* worries I had about this moment were completely assuaged when I did the procedure myself. You really can't feel the 4th coin (?) "disappear," *and* the fact that only three remain is difficult to detect visually for the principal spectator. Other spectators might have a better angle, but they have absolutely no reason to be looking there. All eyes should be on you at this point.

J
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Honestly Garrett does this effect 10 times a day....pay attention to the theory section on the dvd
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2014-02-16 11:06, jpleddington wrote:
... (Compare, for instance, the careful scripting, rehearsal, and multiple takes that obviously go into Eric Jones' DVDs.)

Jason

Really? On the Metal videos he is messing up all over the shop.
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
Quote:
On 2014-02-16 19:21, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-16 11:06, jpleddington wrote:
... (Compare, for instance, the careful scripting, rehearsal, and multiple takes that obviously go into Eric Jones' DVDs.)

Jason

Really? On the Metal videos he is messing up all over the shop.

Yikes. I spoke too soon. I haven't seen those, so I recant. I was thinking mainly of "Mirage et Trois," which is very solid in this respect.
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Don't get me wrong, Jason, the man is a dude. Heaven only knows how most of us would do with these shoots. I admire Eric Jones very much and respect his work. When I watched the Metal series, I liked the fact that they'd left in the odd mistake (only in the explanations, mind you!) It reinforced to the viewer that some of these sleights are hard and require practice. I'm sure he doesn't mess up when performing. Recording of any kind puts you in a different zone, particularly when you are a bit new to it, which he was back then.

It was a facetious comment, and I'm glad to clear it up.

Tom
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Does anyone else have a gimmick that looks a little... fake?
The one I received has very shallow features on the face unlike an actual state quarter which has very prominent raised features. The head/bust sits much higher off the surface of the real coin than on this [. The inside also looks like someone stuck a round piece of copper shim inside it also... it actually has a bit of a shoulder about 1/16 of an inch or so in from the edge and then this round copper shim feeling thing that you can feel with your fingernail. It could be the copper clad but I have never seen a clad [ with this clean of a transition before from the silver face area to the copper clad portion nor one stepped up in the center area.
Just wondering because this [ looks really bad on the face. I haven't been able to find any state quarters that look like this to match up with it.
Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
No. Actually mine is a very good one. I already had a few Tango and Johnson quarter shells, and the one that came with IC is better than both. I was surprised when I received it - I figured that the best it would be was about Johnson quality. I was wrong. I think Roy Kueppers made these.

Contact Kozmo if you thing you got a bad one.

Jim
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Thanks for the reply J-Mac... I've already contacted Kozmo and he replied that a replacement is on the way.
I just spoke with Roy yesterday about some items he's working on for me, had I known I would have asked him about it.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5003 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Where did you purchase it from?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I replaced it....
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2014, Kozmo wrote:
I replaced it....

Excellent service, Koz!

Jim
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yea Jim...i give excellent customer service with reel magic too
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5316 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2014, Kozmo wrote:
Yea Jim...i give excellent customer service with reel magic too

OK... Is that for me?! Smile

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Imagination Coins - Quick Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL