The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonica Miracles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
DVD Alert!

Juan Tamariz's Mnemonica Miracles: Card Magic to Remember by Dan and Dave
http://dananddave.com/products/mnemonica......tamariz/

I'm excited about this one. I ordered mine over the weekend. Once I've watched all of it, I'll review it.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1503 Posts

Profile of Cain
Pricey. I look forward to your review.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2531 Posts

I'm curious. What's your definition of pricey?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1503 Posts

Profile of Cain
Expensive.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
To me, seems like a very reasonable price for a 5 disc set of the master himself. I suppose it comes down to how into stack work one is. Tracking says mine will arrive within the hour. Can't wait!
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Don't think it is expensive at all!
I'm just wondering why there's so little buzz about the DVDs. Probably because of the mem deck guys who know the value of the stack and want to keep it as secret as possible.

(p.s.: You should see what some mentalists charge for work that hasn't even come close to the years Juan put into his work.)
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2531 Posts

Cain,

I'm not criticizing you; I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. I understood that you meant Pricey = Expensive. But at what point does something become expensive? Here are a few possibilities:

1. You could say that ANY magic item that costs more than $50 is your definition of an expensive item. (The threshold dollar amount could be wherever you'd like to set it; it's your definition, after all.)

2. This is a 5 DVD set. $150 works out to $30 per DVD. I've seen a lot of magic DVDs that are around that price. But in this case, you can't buy the individual DVDs, one at a time, for $30 each; you have to buy the whole set, whether you want it or not. That could make it seem expensive to you.

3. 5 DVDs is a lot of video material. You'd have to devote quite a lot of time to them. Further, if you haven't done much memorized deck work, the task of learning that sort of magic can look daunting. You could have meant that the set is expensive in terms of the time that it would require from you.

4. Maybe you've never seen Juan Tamariz perform live. Maybe you've seen a few video clips of him, and you aren't fond of his performance style. Therefore, you perceive that there might not be enough material on the DVDs to make them valuable to you. In that case, you might say that the set is expensive.

By the way, since you live in or near Los Angeles, are you a member of the Academy of Magical Arts? The Academy dues run around $525.00 per year. Would you consider that to be expensive as well? If so, why?

-Leonard Bernstein
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1503 Posts

Profile of Cain
Barry,

While I still look forward to what I'm sure will be a comprehensive review, you really should keep the speculative verbal diarrhea in check. I've heard a doctor describe $200 medication as "pricey," but she insisted it's still "worth it." Something can be expensive and still pay dividends. I'm not sure why magicians are so eager to take a perfectly reasonable off-hand comment and use it as an opportunity to swing from Tamariz's nuts.

Quote:
Further, if you haven't done much memorized deck work, the task of learning that sort of magic can look daunting. You could have meant that the set is expensive in terms of the time that it would require from you.

No Barry, I could not have possibly meant that. My original comment described the set as "pricey," which was then unnecessarily clarified as "expensive" as per your unnecessary question. I don't think any reasonable person could interpret "pricey" as meaning expensive in terms of my time. Indeed you open your post saying "I understood that you meant Pricey = Expensive." I must say, I suspected your question was a wispy pretext to play Socrates, and this seems confirmed by your follow-up reply. The extent to which I think you failed -- well, I'd rather not say. Maybe you should have spent your time reading up on the sorties paradox.

I've used a memorized deck for probably seven or eight years.
I have seen Tamariz perform live.
I am not a member of the Society of Magical Arts, and I'd rather not discuss why since it's completely beside the point. If you're genuinely interested in understanding my reluctance for purchasing this set sight-unseen, here are a few reasons off the top of my head.

1) I almost never buy anything without first reading the reviews.
2) I own Mnemonica (which I bought used for much less than a $150). How much of the material overlaps?
3) I do not use the Tamariz stack.

Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Cain, I think those are good justifications. I bought it immediately because 1) I use the Tamariz stack exclusively; 2) I HOPE the material overlaps so I can understand it and perform it better; and 3) it's Tamariz! Also, even though pricey, I've paid a LOT more for crap I now regret.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2531 Posts

Cain,

For goodness sake, I didn't show you any hostility. I just wanted to understand why you thought the set was pricey.

Lighten up!

-Leonard Bernstein
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1503 Posts

Profile of Cain
Barry,

You may not have been hostile, but you were definitely patronizing. And c'mon, how many items at a typical magic shop cost more than a $150? It's not rocket surgery.

Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1574 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 12:04, RickDangerous wrote:
Don't think it is expensive at all!
I'm just wondering why there's so little buzz about the DVDs. Probably because of the mem deck guys who know the value of the stack and want to keep it as secret as possible.
(p.s.: You should see what some mentalists charge for work that hasn't even come close to the years Juan put into his work.)

Indeed, those who know the value of Mnemonica will not want more people to know and keep them exclusive for themselves.

Interesting that local community thought it is not good to have the material release in DVD format, many young one thought it means exposure. I just have no idea what is the difference. The stack have been publish for decades, and I only saw no more than 5 person besides Juan perform effects in the book. Will the DVD release made everyone around me perform materials inside and made me look stupid to perform them in front of audience? I doubut it.

I am glad this set is out, provide that I am such an admirer to Spanish School of Magic.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2014-01-22 22:46, Steven Leung wrote:
Will the DVD release made everyone around me perform materials inside and made me look stupid to perform them in front of audience? I doubut it.

I absolutely agree. To learn the stack, faro shuffling, shifts, peeks and glimpses, f***e shuffles, the psychology, presentation, body langugage, timing, deck s******s etc. to a point where you are able to perform the material takes more than just a set of DVDs. It's months and years of practice not many will put in. At least I too haven't seen many since the release of the book.
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2531 Posts

The set arrived yesterday. (I've got to hand it to Dan & Dave. Their customer service is superb.) I'll work my way through the material and post a review.

But it's not going to happen overnight.

-Leonard Bernstein
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I'm really interested in your review, but take your time
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3231 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Barry, I'm interested in even a PARTIAL review. I should be getting my set in the next day or two.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
In the hopes it may be of assistance to stack workers considering this set, I've done a fairly comprehensive write-up on it over in this thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Thank you so much, very nice review!
Robert A. Wilson

Timothy Leary
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
2531 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-01-24 09:33, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
In the hopes it may be of assistance to stack workers considering this set, I've done a fairly comprehensive write-up on it over in this thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

I have a brief comment about this great review in the same thread...

-Leonard Bernstein
MichaelMann
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MichaelMann
Received my set today. I'm excited to work through this material.

MM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mnemonica Miracles (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL