The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Imagination Coins by Garrett Thomas: William Draven's Layout (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4175 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
If this isn't obvious enough, I went for using Draven's layout as best as I could.

Title: Imagination Coins
Artist: Garrett Thomas
Producers: Kozmo Magic (Murphy's)
Link: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3946
Retail Price: $40.00
Learning Difficulty: Intermediate
Length of DVD: Roughly 2 Hours

Includes:
• Instructional DVD
• Gimmick
* Coin Purse

DVD Features:
* Intro
* 2 Phase Performance
* 4 Phase Performance
* Imagination Coins Explanation
* Performance 2
* Audience Management
* OTS explanation
-Trailer
* Coins Across Performance
* Coins Across Explanation
* Zero Coins Across
* Jump Performance
* Jump Explanation
* Bloopers & Credits

When I saw that Garrett Thomas was coming out with a new release I sat up on the edge of my seat and took a look at my finances. I just recenlty dug out my Stand-Up Monte and gave it the practice it deserves and gave it a few performances, it won me over and now I could be what they call a "stalker', this guy has worker material that hits them between the eyes. His stuff isn't the easiest but it's worth the time and effort to gather all the subtleties. The intro starts off with Garrett stating which form of gimmick he uses in certain situations. Justifying why he uses quarters in friendly situations and why he uses something bigger in half dollars in a situation not unlike a paid gig, and it has nothing to do with hiding the method.

Well now that I can stop acting like a Garrett Thomas fanboy, I can get on to the meat of this review, the trick itself. I don't think the secret to this effect is unknown but for safety sake I will call the secret something, "the gimmick". This comes with a nice tiny purse, it feels of rubbery material which seems to only fit the gimmick and dollars worth of quarters. Half dollars will not fit in the coin purse. The 2-Phase routine is shown in live performance at a table, even the 2 phase is hard hitting, but I dig the practice and will go with the "4-phaser". The added phases are a coins across in the magicians own hands, not unlike David Roth's Super Clean Coins Across. The last move from both phases are going to take work to make look natural, and G.T.'s live performances of both are going to give you the timing of the move. He gives alternatives where you don't even have to do the move, but it makes for an impossible conclusion.

There are a few behind the bar performances, one kid has a "EATCT" t-shirt so it's not fully laymen, but a mixture, I assume, more laymen than magicians.

I really enjoyed watching the "Audience Management" portion, he gives sound reasoning for actions and how to manage his audience for this effect. And if you didn't find the important timing of the last move of the phases in the explanation, it's found in the "Audience Management" portion, this one really helped me out on the move."OTS" is the Over the shoulder portion which gives great insight on all the required moves, I believe he did this in the Stand-Up Monte DVD, this is great, thorough as can be, great for following along and practice. He gives an quick performance and explanation to Eric Jones, small G.T. touches here worth learning but not much different than a normal C.A. routine, great to have on this DVD though, the handling is a touch different than other handlings I've seen. "Zero Coins Across" is a great conversation to watch between Eric Jones and Garrett Thomas, they share their theory on the impact of coins across and natural blocking techniques, Eric Jones showcases the way he does coins across, I believe this is on his "Extension of Me" and boy is it great! The "Jump" ending is one to practice when you have a table and they are bugging to ask you to "do it again". Quarters sandwhiched inbetweeen 2 pennies, that are used for a distraction, are place on the table, the quarters vanish from in between the pennies with a wave of the hand and appear under your other hand on the table or in the other hand, depending on what variation you want to use. The bloopers are the guys messing around probably in between shoots, just fun to watch.

I feel that this is a worker routine and one to really practice, even if it's just the 2-phase routine it's sooo darn worth it.

Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 10
Packaging is small and neat, great artwork, perfectly made gimmick, ready to go and practice, you even get a darn coin purse. You get a TON for your money.

Teaching Quality: 10
Garrett Thomas is thorough, there is an OTS view, different variations/handlings for specific steps in the routine, You even get theory along the way I couldn't ask for more.

Video & Sound Quality: 10
I have no complaints, great quality, sound is clear.

Overall Quality: 10
The effect is wonderful, definitley caters to the audience in terms of impact, I love this routine. I can see this working in strolling, cocktai, environments. This is something I would have paid top dollar for.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
734 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Agree with blindside great quality dvd lots of input by garret no knucklebusting moves, average to intermediate coin worker will have no problem. The routine ( 2 phase ) or ( 4 phase ) practice the moves listen to Garret's theory and logic. And you will have a solid real world worker.

Well recommended. I think You will enjoy this.

Graham.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Is this available for EURO currency? I strongly hope so!!
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4175 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2014-01-23 00:22, Memory-Jah wrote:
Is this available for EURO currency? I strongly hope so!!
Sure is, http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S17308
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Thank you
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I really don't see anything new here. Reminds me of Larry Jennings ideas.

Best
Ray
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I recieved mine from Penguin magic,10/10 for the gimmick and the dvd production.
I wish it came with all the required coins as I really like the size of quarters as aposed to the Half dollars that I use for other tricks,because I have a gimmick in half dollar size I was able to learn the effect correctly but it's a trip to a coin dealer if I am to use the gimmick that it comes with.
The first performance was a test on my stepdaughter,she just said "your'e scaring me".
I love this,glad I lashed out and bought it.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
Oh yeah ,I forgot to mention ,four half dollars and the gimmick do fit in the purse that is supplied,a snug fit but the coins will come out as a group easy enough.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4175 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2014-01-24 00:56, Jon Blakeney wrote:
I recieved mine from Penguin magic,10/10 for the gimmick and the dvd production.
I wish it came with all the required coins as I really like the size of quarters as aposed to the Half dollars that I use for other tricks,because I have a gimmick in half dollar size I was able to learn the effect correctly but it's a trip to a coin dealer if I am to use the gimmick that it comes with.
The first performance was a test on my stepdaughter,she just said "your'e scaring me".
I love this,glad I lashed out and bought it.
I'm glad you are loving this as much as I am.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
What is the difficulty level of this?
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
734 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 19:14, JoshLondonMagic wrote:

Not very difficult at all, average to intermediate, no knuckle busting sleights. Just listen and watch garret you will enjoy the DVD and will be performing the effect in no time at all, and plenty of practice " more so on presentation " I'm sure you will be fine.

Graham
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4175 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 19:14, JoshLondonMagic wrote:

Out of 5, I would give it a 2.5.

The gimmick does a lot of the work for you, you have to be okay with audience management. The DVD covers that for you and if you break it down there are a few pointers he gives you that really helps you out and helps you condition your audience to do what they need to do. You do have to be aware of the orientation of the gimmick. One basic coin sleight, or if you want to go for a different variation, no coin sleight at the end at all.
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
547 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
Hi,

I am going to order Imagination Coins.
Wondering if it can be applied using Canadian coins and if so, can someone private me the gimmicked coin required?

Thanks,

Eric
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
916 Posts

Profile of Martino
Eric, no need for private message. It's a [
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
547 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
OK great,I have one.

Thanks for the help.

Eric
Ch. Ahsan
View Profile
New user
Pakistan
19 Posts

Profile of Ch. Ahsan
Do we received 4 coins with gimmick so anyone in any country can use?
MagicDebbie
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MagicDebbie
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 20:14, Ch. Ahsan wrote:
Do we received 4 coins with gimmick so anyone in any country can use?

From what I've read, you get a gimmick, but have to supply the coins.
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
You supply your own coins. Comes with "a" gimmick. Smile

-Alex
Falconer
View Profile
Special user
PORTUGAL
576 Posts

Profile of Falconer
This one sounds very good to me!I loved the effect...

Falconer
FALCONER
IMAGICIANS.DE facebook falcobook
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1782 Posts

Profile of Daren
This is a great effect, I have performed numerous times so far and gets killer reactions, buy it!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Imagination Coins by Garrett Thomas: William Draven's Layout (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL