The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging Coins - Help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
363 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Hello there,

today I received some pretty nice gaffed coins. During a routine, I will swap an ungaffed coin against a gaffed coin - thing is, the ungaffed coin is a lot lighter than the gaffed one. The gaffed one kind of looks older/less shiner and is darker in general.

Does anyone here have any advice on how to age the original coin or make the coins roughly the same color? I figured that probably bizarre magicians will have experience with this kind of thing; hence me asking here.

Thanks a lot!

All the best,

Timon
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"
- Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'

www.timonkrause.com
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Most hobby shops carry metal aging products. Jewelers age gold and silver with stuff called "Metal Black"
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
363 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction Roth.
"But overcome space, and all we have left is Here. Overcome time, and all we have left is Now. And in the middle of Here and Now, don't you think that we might see each other once or twice?"

www.timonkrause.com
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
"Gun Bluing," which is available from some sporting goods stores that cater to hunters, can be used to stain/tarnish certain metals. The metal must be clean before application. Some metal products are coated with a transparent plastic-type material to prevent tarnishing. This must be removed before treating the metal. It can be difficult to remove chemically. Paint removers containing methylene chloride will work, but that chemical must be used with extreme care and caution.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I love the advice on this forum... Rick: any hobby shop... Bill: sporting goods / gun bluing ... Smile

Timon lives in the Netherlands and Germany it is quite hard to find chemicals here but if you know the scientific name that could be useful...

My Mum used to tell me to "nip down to ASDA (the British equivalent of WalMart) and grab some self raising flour and Branston pickle" non of which is available here Smile

Oh...! If you're looking for some weed, any coffee shop will sell it... Smile

*the previous comments are meant to be funny... With an underlying message of cultural awareness...
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Depending on the material of the coin, you could use ammonia (just the vapor)
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3495 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I just pee on them and let them soak a few days. urine is available, cheap, and will tarnish almost any non-precious metal. If I need to do a lot, I just sew them up in the cadaver's bladdar until I need to trocar it and it seems to do the job.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3495 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2014-01-24 09:25, weepinwil wrote:
I just pee on them and let them soak a few days. urine is available, cheap, and will tarnish almost any non-precious metal. If I need to do a lot, I just sew them up in the cadaver's bladdar until I need to trocar it and it seems to do the job.

If you don't have a cadaver of your own and need one you may want to speak with your local Death Emporium and see if they can help you out for few bucks.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Must make for an 'interesting' squirting nickel Will.
K
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3495 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2014-01-24 13:00, KOTAH wrote:
Must make for an 'interesting' squirting nickel Will.
K

Ha Ha haven't tried that yet.... Thanks.
Ed Solomon
View Profile
New user
Ed Solomon
70 Posts

Profile of Ed Solomon
A bit of old school here. Egg yoke will darken silver and Easy Off oven cleaner will tarnish copper and brass.
The amount if silver in today's coins may not react like they did back in the days of high quality coin silver.
TimonK
View Profile
Veteran user
Amsterdam
363 Posts

Profile of TimonK
Hey people,

thanks to all of you for the great advice! I tried some of the stuff out & a combination of polishing the darker coin up a little and darkening the lighter coin a little worked for me.

While it may not be hard to come by acid here, coming by chemicals has proven to be yet another challenge. The "night-pharmacist" didn't have what I was looking for this time Smile joking. Thanks to your help it all worked out fine!

Thanks again! Smile

All the best,

Timon

www.timonkrause.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2014-01-24 18:01, Ed Solomon wrote:
A bit of old school here. Egg yoke will darken silver and Easy Off oven cleaner will tarnish copper and brass.
The amount if silver in today's coins may not react like they did back in the days of high quality coin silver.

I love eggs...

Here is an example - very quick and easy to do

http://www.carcosa-collection.com/thresh......temid=37
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging Coins - Help? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL