The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why don't we colonise the Moon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
As a space station, it makes the most sense, for practise and ease of return, relatively of course.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I'd like to know the cost of all before I can be certain.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
They'll be spending any way...

This makes more sense imho...
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
MONEY

The cost for such a project would be out of this world. (Sorry, couldn't stop myself). Smile

NASA did have a plan to put a telescope on the dark side of the moon. I think it was scraped in favor of planetary missions.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
For what purpose would we colonize the moon?

I suppose it could make going there and returning easier, as you say...but no one goes to the moon much, anymore (the Chinese are there, but unmanned, I believe).

Why do you think we should colonize the moon? To study the moon? Other? Would the required funds be best used there, do you think?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
"Why don't we colonise the Moon?"

It stinks of cheese.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 15:57, Chessmann wrote:

For what purpose would we colonize the moon?

Helium 3

http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/......Page=all
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6761 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Because we can't.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
One of the major problems with a "moon base" is the dust. The astronauts on each mission complained about the dust which stuck to their boots and got everywhere on their ships. Imagine this on a highly technical base. Eventually it would get into something important and cause a siezure whereupon you can be pretty certain there would be casulties.

The other problem, as it's been suggested here, why? What would be the purpose of the base?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Haven't you heard? It's already been colonized but they are keeping it a big secret. As Criswell would say, "Your minds could not handle the horrible truth!"

:eek:
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16261 Posts

Profile of tommy
Another problem is Stanley Kubrick is dead.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
sammagic
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Just want the unmanned chinese vehicle to drive around the moon and settle the argument.........find the vehicles the appolo missions left up there!!

Did they get there, no! or we would have found the answer to clean and safe energy.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 22:23, mastermindreader wrote:
Haven't you heard? It's already been colonized but they are keeping it a big secret. As Criswell would say, "Your minds could not handle the horrible truth!"

:eek:

My first encounter with Criswell was shortly after college, some friends and I watching Ed Wood's "Orgy of the Dead". When I saw his eyes start darting between the cue cards and the camera, I knew I was in for a treat!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Why?

Why did we go in the first place?

Because we can. Smile

Here are reasons for a base though...

First, to train for the colonies on Mars and future other planets. On the Moon at least, we know we can get back if there is a problem. Relatively safer than Mars.

That means it is a study of humans on a another celestial being in a station for a long period of time. Different than just the International Space Station, this is a Moon.

Second, laugh at this if you will, humanity needs this both on a scientific mindset level and a bonding level.

Third, a lookout for those meteors that might kill us.

Fourth, a great telescope location.

Fifth, in the future, the base can be the training baee are and launchpad for other projects.

Sixth, tourism in fifty years. Call Branson. Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Excerpt from http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-deb......6490311/

"Of course, it’s wrong to anthropomorphize these creatures. As we know, humans are so much more evolved than antelopes and lions that any similarities between our society and theirs are completely coincidental. Still, I couldn’t help noticing that we, too, are plagued with more and more young males who seem to be surplus to requirements. We used to send our surplus off to sea, or war, or penal colonies in Australia. Now that those options are off the table, we really have no idea what to do with them."

Send them to the moon, I say!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6950 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Seriously? You really wanna know? Why haven't we been back? Ask NASA. However, you'll never get the truth! Smile

Doug
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh Lord Doug you must be the keeper of a greater truth. LOL.

Why don't we? Physics.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
No local supply of exploitable labour.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 23:22, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Why?

Why did we go in the first place?

Because we can. Smile

Haha. Well, that's true Smile But since we've done it, the question here is much different.

Quote:

First, to train for the colonies on Mars and future other planets. On the Moon at least, we know we can get back if there is a problem. Relatively safer than Mars.

Hmmm.... Gotta start somewhere. True!

Quote:

That means it is a study of humans on a another celestial being in a station for a long period of time. Different than just the International Space Station, this is a Moon.

Ok.

Quote:

Second, laugh at this if you will, humanity needs this both on a scientific mindset level and a bonding level.

Not sure on this one, but ok. Not laughing, though Smile

Quote:

Third, a lookout for those meteors that might kill us.

Fourth, a great telescope location.

I'm assuming this is based on a telescope not going through the earth's atmosphere sees more/better? Gotcha, no problem there.

Quote:

Fifth, in the future, the base can be the training base are and launchpad for other projects.

At first blush, it seems launchings could be done more efficiently and with better risk/emergency services here on earth. OTOH, if you're going to land on the moon you'll need to launch from the moon - same with from other (future) locations.

Quote:

Sixth, tourism in fifty years. Call Branson. Smile

Yup, only a matter of time. We should form up a list of young country stars and comedians and project which will be playing on the moon in 50 years! Smile

Have you been to Branson?

Here's another thing that just crossed my mind...a future Botany Bay.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks for going through my list Chessman... Smile

And I think you're kidding but I meant Sir Richard Branson...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Branson

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why don't we colonise the Moon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL