The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why don't we colonise the Moon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
No, it would be a scientific endeavour first. Like the space station.

Just a few astronauts.

Not colonizing like terraforming.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
132 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
We only do things when we are forced, and since we haven't finished destroying our earth yet, there's no rush. Smile
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 15:38, slowkneenuh wrote:
We only do things when we are forced, and since we haven't finished destroying our earth yet, there's no rush. Smile

There is truth there. Sadly.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6950 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Tommy! Thanks for that! Jonathan King, "Everyone's Gone To The Moon"! I played that song on Oldies 95 back in 1995-2001! I never saw that vid! He looks totally different from what I imagined!

And besides Helium 3, there are a LOT of valuable resources that could be mined. Let alone Mars. Rumor has it that's already being done...but that's pure fantasy, right? Absolutely. We know this for a fact. Right. We have a lot to learn...

Doug
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I think a better question is why aren't we trying to mine the moon.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 18:16, NYCTwister wrote:
I think a better question is why aren't we trying to mine the moon.

Wouldn't mines be dangerous for the rovers, etc? They could blow up! Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cool song but King, well lets just say, not cool.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 00:20, S2000magician wrote:
No local supply of exploitable labour.

I'm not so sure about that. We should probably ask Dougini.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall

I'm kinda surprised you missed this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2S4GTD-AAw
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
There are exactly two reasons to build and maintain a base on the moon; one is illegal according to the united nations.

The good reason is for further space exploration. Gravity on the moon is one sixth that of Earth, and as such, launching a deep space rocket becomes far less expensive, using far less fuel on a larger ship if we launch from the moon and not from Earth.

This is a good reason for a base, but a bas only, not colonizing. The lack of resources make the moon a foolish place to build a city, also, lacking atmosphere there is no meteor protection. Just look at the moon and see what that result is. So lets build a base and launch our Mars missions from there.

The other reason is that anyone who builds a missile base on the moon has an unrestricted view of every country in the world. I think it is better to face the missles the other way in case of asteriod strike or invasion. Most governments will not agree with me.

Homework: What are the chances of stopping an asateroid coming to earth with nuclear missiles?

Class Dismissed
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 21:54, Cliffg37 wrote:
There are exactly two reasons to build and maintain a base on the moon; one is illegal according to the united nations.

The good reason is for further space exploration. Gravity on the moon is one sixth that of Earth, and as such, launching a deep space rocket becomes far less expensive, using far less fuel on a larger ship if we launch from the moon and not from Earth.

This is a good reason for a base, but a bas only, not colonizing. The lack of resources make the moon a foolish place to build a city, also, lacking atmosphere there is no meteor protection. Just look at the moon and see what that result is. So lets build a base and launch our Mars missions from there.

The other reason is that anyone who builds a missile base on the moon has an unrestricted view of every country in the world. I think it is better to face the missles the other way in case of asteriod strike or invasion. Most governments will not agree with me.

Homework: What are the chances of stopping an asateroid coming to earth with nuclear missiles?

Class Dismissed

Thanks, I knew that about the military. Smile

Asteroid?

I'm guessing one in a thousand.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I think maybe they're hoping there's more "stuff" they can use on Mars. The moon is basically just dirt and rocks, isn't it? I know very little about outer space and other planets and stuff. That and advanced math type stuff (except statistics) might be the two biggest gaps in my knowledge base.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 06:16, critter wrote:
I think maybe they're hoping there's more "stuff" they can use on Mars. The moon is basically just dirt and rocks, isn't it? I know very little about outer space and other planets and stuff. That and advanced math type stuff (except statistics) might be the two biggest gaps in my knowledge base.

As a launchpad, I think the moon is great.

Like a big space station satellite all ready there... Smile

But the start will always be difficult.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I just hope we start expanding sometime soon. One of these millennia the sun is going to go all supernova and stuff. If there's still a human race by then we'll need somewhere to bring our dogs, cards, and books.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 06:24, critter wrote:
I just hope we start expanding sometime soon. One of these millennia the sun is going to go all supernova and stuff. If there's still a human race by then we'll need somewhere to bring our dogs, cards, and books.

I worry we nuke ourselves trying to prove whose belief is more loving and peaceful, way before that... Smile
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 22:41, sammagic wrote:
Just want the unmanned chinese vehicle to drive around the moon and settle the argument.........find the vehicles the appolo missions left up there!!

Did they get there, no! or we would have found the answer to clean and safe energy.

I'm not quite certain how going to the Moon would give us the secrets to clean and safe energy.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How about we clean our own room first before we are allowed to go play outside?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why don't we colonise the Moon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL