The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why don't we colonise the Moon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 10:52, Dannydoyle wrote:
How about we clean our own room first before we are allowed to go play outside?


No one really follows that rule.

Look at all the wars and colonisations.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
We can't colonize the moon- that's where The Watcher lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uatu
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 10:52, Dannydoyle wrote:
How about we clean our own room first before we are allowed to go play outside?


why?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Watchers are not fantasy. Do you sincerely want to know about The Watchers? This will tell you all you need to know. This book was taken OUT of the Bible:

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/ethiopian/enoch/

Doug
sammagic
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 09:48, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 22:41, sammagic wrote:
Just want the unmanned chinese vehicle to drive around the moon and settle the argument.........find the vehicles the appolo missions left up there!!

Did they get there, no! or we would have found the answer to clean and safe energy.


I'm not quite certain how going to the Moon would give us the secrets to clean and safe energy.



It's all to do with an extract of helium that is found in the moon's crust called HE-3. Scientists have been researching this for years as an alternative to uranium in nuclear reactors. It is currently being tested on reactors in certain countries. We all know what can happen when nuclear power station leak, just think about Chernobyl. HE-3 produces around the same amount of radioactivity as x-ray machines in your local hospital.

They estimate that a commercial power reactor will be could be produced within the next 20years, however, there is not enough available on earth, it is virtually absent. They estimate there are millions of tonnes of it available on the moon. 20 tonnes of it is enough to power the whole of the electrical supply of the USA for a year and could be brought back in one shuttle. So if you look at it cost wise, in that it costs billions to power the US for a year, you can see the potential value of HE-3.

So why haven't we been up there and brought some back if it's value is potentially billions, not to mention producing clean energy?

Yes there are other factors involved in extracting HE-3 from helium, including the mining of it. But what I don't understand is, if we could send man to the moon over 40 years ago with the technology that was available back then, how can't we with the advancement in technology that we have had over the last few decades work out how to bring it back?
sammagic
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Maybe another reason we haven't brought some back is to do with ownership of the moon. The Apollo missions weren't stopped due to budget cuts, it was to do with not being able to negotiate a sensible fee for mining up there with the little people who live on the dark side of the moon, and transferring the cash would have been a nightmare! Think we should go back up as they probably take Paypal these days!!!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think it's a great idea, especially if I get to pick the colonists.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think that bit coins would be the way to go- or any virtual currency. They do have Internet up there, right?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 19:09, sammagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 09:48, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-25 22:41, sammagic wrote:
Just want the unmanned chinese vehicle to drive around the moon and settle the argument.........find the vehicles the appolo missions left up there!!

Did they get there, no! or we would have found the answer to clean and safe energy.


I'm not quite certain how going to the Moon would give us the secrets to clean and safe energy.



It's all to do with an extract of helium that is found in the moon's crust called HE-3. Scientists have been researching this for years as an alternative to uranium in nuclear reactors. It is currently being tested on reactors in certain countries. We all know what can happen when nuclear power station leak, just think about Chernobyl. HE-3 produces around the same amount of radioactivity as x-ray machines in your local hospital.

They estimate that a commercial power reactor will be could be produced within the next 20years, however, there is not enough available on earth, it is virtually absent. They estimate there are millions of tonnes of it available on the moon. 20 tonnes of it is enough to power the whole of the electrical supply of the USA for a year and could be brought back in one shuttle. So if you look at it cost wise, in that it costs billions to power the US for a year, you can see the potential value of HE-3.

So why haven't we been up there and brought some back if it's value is potentially billions, not to mention producing clean energy?

Yes there are other factors involved in extracting HE-3 from helium, including the mining of it. But what I don't understand is, if we could send man to the moon over 40 years ago with the technology that was available back then, how can't we with the advancement in technology that we have had over the last few decades work out how to bring it back?



Never knew that, thanks. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 19:59, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think it's a great idea, especially if I get to pick the colonists.


Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 20:23, mastermindreader wrote:
I think that bit coins would be the way to go- or any virtual currency. They do have Internet up there, right?


Of course they have Internet. How else would they watch porn?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 16:40, Dougini wrote:
The Watchers are not fantasy. Do you sincerely want to know about The Watchers? This will tell you all you need to know. This book was taken OUT of the Bible:

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/ethiopian/enoch/

Doug


Seriously Doug stop watching ancient aliens and listening to those morons.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Whe the going gets tough, the tough get going!
Let's go!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....!
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 21:27, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 16:40, Dougini wrote:
The Watchers are not fantasy. Do you sincerely want to know about The Watchers? This will tell you all you need to know. This book was taken OUT of the Bible:

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/ethiopian/enoch/

Doug


Seriously Doug stop watching ancient aliens and listening to those morons.


I think he has been this way long before that show.

I like that show, but they just connect EVERYTHING to ancient aliens now that it has become funny... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea it really is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 21:30, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 21:27, Dannydoyle wrote:
Seriously Doug stop watching ancient aliens and listening to those morons.


I think he has been this way long before that show.


You're absolutley right! Smile

Doug
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 22:51, Dougini wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 21:30, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 21:27, Dannydoyle wrote:
Seriously Doug stop watching ancient aliens and listening to those morons.


I think he has been this way long before that show.


You're absolutley right! Smile

Doug


See, I told you so. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
sammagic
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Mining on the moon was probably deemed impossible when they sent up the Apollo missions, and as nuclear fusion using HE-3 was being investigated back then, it was not possible to produce, even to this day they haven't worked out how use it for longer than a few seconds to produce the energy that would be needed to power the reactors.

Did the US Govt and NASA think that it was a waste of money returning??

As I mentioned above HE-3 is virtually absent on earth, and for what is available it costs $16 million per kilo.

It's the reason that private companies are now getting involved with space exploration and developing ways to mine on the moon and are already arguing on mining rights. Why do you think that China are up there? And India have even sent up unmanned craft to orbit the moon to map it out for potential mining.

My tip, buy some shares in the companies that are researching and developing the mining techniques.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-01-28 07:54, sammagic wrote:
Mining on the moon was probably deemed impossible when they sent up the Apollo missions, and as nuclear fusion using HE-3 was being investigated back then, it was not possible to produce, even to this day they haven't worked out how use it for longer than a few seconds to produce the energy that would be needed to power the reactors.

Did the US Govt and NASA think that it was a waste of money returning??

As I mentioned above HE-3 is virtually absent on earth, and for what is available it costs $16 million per kilo.

It's the reason that private companies are now getting involved with space exploration and developing ways to mine on the moon and are already arguing on mining rights. Why do you think that China are up there? And India have even sent up unmanned craft to orbit the moon to map it out for potential mining.

My tip, buy some shares in the companies that are researching and developing the mining techniques.


How long more before you think they are up there, those companies?

20 years?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
sammagic
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of sammagic
Well if the Chinese keep on going the way they are with the development of they're space programme, who know's? I can see the chinese putting man back on the moon within the next 10 years though.

It's probably do-able now to mine on the moon, or will be in the next few years. They've got the technology available now to extract HE-3, but doing it up on the moon is a different story, it takes a bit more than just putting a few mining rigs up there.

I can't understand why the western world is not pumping billions into this, as it's not our generation we've got to think about, it's the next and the one's after that. Fossil fuels are running out and using them is basically destroying our earth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Why don't we colonise the Moon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL