The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Recommend me a book (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
All very good suggestions. I would suggest not to neglect the magazines that were put out by Racherbaumer, Harry Lorayne, Kaufman, Fulves Any of those magazines are very worth having.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2722 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 04:22, Magic-Daniel wrote:

What about The Art of Close up Magic by Lewis Ganson?

Yes and there are two vols and both are in ebook form from L&L Publishing.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
679 Posts

Profile of smullins
Now that I think about it, the apocalypse books might be good to start tracking... That wouldn't be a bad road to go down.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1326 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Maybe I would start with one of the apocalypse books. All four at once would be too much I think
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3740 Posts

Profile of Julie
For the record regarding Tarbell:
There is more (and more recent) material in the smaller single volumes aggregate than in the one large single volume or the CD.

Julie
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Hello Daniel,

Considering the writers on your list who explore theory and then apply it to their magic...

1) Have you read The Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder and Stephen Minch? They are an exquisite blend of finely honed material and well-considered theory, with superb writing. They are modern classics. http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_info.php?products_id=46

2) You may also enjoy Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring anthology, for its refreshing variety of creative presentations and clever, thoughtful, workable methods. http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/pro......id=17523

3) What Lies Inside by Florian Severin was the book I most enjoyed last year. It provocatively inspires the reader to thoughtfully create vivid presentations for mentalism. This book is like Maximum Entertainment (Weber) for Mentalists, or Eugene Burger for the next generation. http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/m......-inside/
neocatalyst
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of neocatalyst
Have you read the other Carney books? Magic by design and Book of Secrets.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1326 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Yes, I have. Have pretty much everything John has put out
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1326 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
@duanebarry

I really don't do any mentalism. Would you still recommend what lies inside?
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1326 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Also Duane. That Jim Steinmeyer book sounds very intersting.

Good recommendations!
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Quote:
I really don't do any mentalism. Would you still recommend What Lies Inside?

In my view, thoughtful writing by smart thinkers is always worth reading. On the other hand, after the book's opening effect, the effects are pretty much wholly mentalism and Severin puts a lot of focus on problems and strategies which are very specific to mentalism. So I'll recommend it like this: Maybe this isn't the book for you, but if at some point you do develop an interest in mentalism, then after you read the fundamentals (Annemann, Corinda) and are brimming with methods for mentalism effects, this book can be of great value to spur creation of clear, vivid presentations.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6079 Posts

Profile of motown
Do you have "The Book " by the Flicking Fingers?
An excellent range of material in there.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1326 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I don't have that book motown. I have seen some of the material, but Its not really for me. Too wacky, I would think.

I mostly like the classics tricks in magic. Done simple (not in method necessarily) and naturally.

The Book of Wonders have been on my to-buy-list for a year now or so. Will definately pick those up.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1326 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
And I am DEFINATELY also getting Mike Caveney's "Wonders" books!
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
Although it is not a book of effects, you can't go wrong reading "Maximum Entertainment"by Ken Weber.
JFmagic
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
75 Posts

Profile of JFmagic
ONE DEGREE by JOHN G is by FAR the best book I ever read!
MrQuinn
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of MrQuinn
The books of Eric Lewis, especially his "Miracles" trilogy, are filled with ideas.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1639 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Modern Magic Manual by Jean Hugard
Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay
Anything by Walter Gibson
Anything by Bill Severn (the clearest writer I've come across)
Anything by Karl Fulves

Barry
theghostcompany
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
82 Posts

Profile of theghostcompany
How about a book by/about Rene Lavand? Both "Magic from the Soul" and "Mysteries of my Life" are incredibly interesting (as are his DVDs). Not only for their technical content (which is pretty unique, given the limitations he masterfully overcame), but above all because he is one of the most accomplished artists, one of the very few that makes you forget that he employs tricks and takes you on a wonderfully intense, moving magical journey... Nothing of the quick, flashy kind, but if you are interested to see what you can achieve when developing your persona, his books (and DVDs) are a lesson for life. Up there with Tommy Wonder.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1326 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Thanks for still recommending me books!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Recommend me a book (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL