We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting little scam... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2919 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
So I was home by myself yesterday and the phone rang. Caller ID said it was a cell phone, but, in this day and age, I didn't think anything of it. The guy asked for Donna and I said she was out and could I have her call him back. So he said he was "Lt. Snow" with the Sheriff's Dept. and needed to talk with her about a missed jury summons. I asked for some details and he gave me the date and such and his phone number.

When Donna got home, she said she had never received a summons in that time period. When she called back, he said "it was a good thing you called, because I was about to issue an arrest warrant." Long story short, he said she would need to pay some fines and guarantee her appearance in court, so she needed to go get a pre-paid credit card at the local supermarket and then get an add-on card, put almost $500 on it, and call him back with the number so he could issue her a court date.

Long story short again, the clerk at Safeway told us it sounded like a scam, especially the part about the add-on card and giving the guy the number on it. We have never used these pre-paid cards, so the whole thing was new to us. Anyway, we called the Sheriff's Dept. (the real one), and they told us there was no "Lt. Snow" there, and it was a scam, and that the number sounded like a disposable cell phone. Needless to say, "Lt. Snow" didn't get his money last night.

Although the waste of time was irritating as **** (Donna was making egg foo yong for dinner, and I do have my priorities), I thought it was interesting the way the guy used modern technology to set this up: the disposable cell phone, which could not be traced, and the add-on card, which had to be paid for in cash (again untraceable). Plus the fact that he called on Friday, which meant we were very short on time if we wanted to call the court and verify the jury summons. There were a few "strange things" in his story, which we didn't catch until afterwards, but, overall, coming out of left field, I thought it was pretty clever.

Ah, entrepreneurship...
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
George-

The tip off was when he told you to buy a pre-paid reload card. No government agency or any legitimate business would ask you to remit payment that way. And when you don't show up for jury duty, you get a notification in the mail. They don't call and ask you to send money.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2919 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Yup, now we know that. But yesterday we didn't, and we weren't prepared for it.

We have been warned. We have learned our lesson. And we did have our egg foo yong... and it rocked. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It took the clerk to tell you it was a scam?

These things always depend upon you being caught up in the moment. Have to act fast to avert disaster. Talking to others is always a good idea.

Always be suspicious of those who demand fast action.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2919 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Yes, unfortunately it did, and no we weren't caught up in the moment. We have been warned.

So don't call here and tell me you're with the CIA and I need to send you some money or I will disappear. Smile
www.georgefledo.net

Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 00:15, George Ledo wrote:
We have been warned. We have learned our lesson. And we did have our egg foo yong... and it rocked. Smile

I've been looking for a good egg foo yong recipe. Any chance you would share yours?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Any time you are worried about fines or some such thing they have you pretty caught up in the moment. Once a clerk says it sounds suspicious (Thank goodness he did.) you reset and look again.

I am very happy you were not victimized to the point of losing money. It can happen to anyone and darn fast.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Watch out for this one. The news today mentioned a phone scam where they hang up after the first ring hoping you will call the number back from your caller id to see who it is, at which point you are charged $20.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
If he calls back tell him about the flaws in his phone script and if sends you a pre-paid card for $xx7 (make sure it ends with a seven!) you will clean up his script so he can make more money with his scam. Smile

Bazinga!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
My father-in-law keeps getting these notices and he has been dead for several years. I waiting for the warrant for his arrest for a no-show.
Dennis Michael
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2919 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
[quote]On 2014-01-26 00:53, Dr. Van Van Mojo wrote:
Quote:
I've been looking for a good egg foo yong recipe. Any chance you would share yours?

Donna doesn't use a written recipe -- it's more of a concept, but I'll see if we can write something down for you.

Bazinga - I actually thought of calling him back and telling him about the holes, Smile but then realized the phone he used is probably history. I wonder how many phones he goes through.

And thanks for the tip on calling back for $20. We just ignore numbers we don't know. I'm guessing that one may be marketed to women who live alone, but it would be a lot cheaper to just make up a huge list and let the autodialer go at it.
www.georgefledo.net

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
There's so many scams out there it's hard to keep up with them. The latest one I've experienced is a phone call, from someone telling me that they're from some company and my computer is giving them data that tells them it needs repair. If I would be so kind as to let them take control of my computer they will fix the problem (much in the same way other tech groups help fix problems). Of course, once they're controlling my computer, there's no telling what they can steal from you.

I usually just hang up. But sometimes I like to have fun with the ***s too. If they ask for me by name, I say, one minute, and I call my name out and say "Someone wants to talk to you about your computer." Then I just let the SOB sit there and wait. I call my name out a couple of more times and tell the guy to wait a bit longer that "he's in the middle of something but will be right here." This can go on for a couple of minutes before they finally get the message and hang up. If they're gonne eff with me, they're gonna' get effed with back.

Another good one is to keep a whistle near the phone and blow it in the receiver hoping to dent the guys eardrum a bit.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
572 Posts

Profile of Circusman
I've won so many competitions over the phone, that I need never work again !

I love it when I get scam phone calls.
Because of these, I changed my phone number to a Premium number.
So, every time I get a scam phone call - I make money, and it cost's THEM !
The longer I keep them on - the more money I make !

Bobby.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well it's a numbers game. A % will fall for whatever.

People are brought up today, trained, to trust authority. That is what they are playing on. Experts or anything in a uniform they will obey. OK next five, into the ditch.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2919 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 16:41, Circusman wrote:
Because of these, I changed my phone number to a Premium number.
So, every time I get a scam phone call - I make money, and it cost's THEM !
The longer I keep them on - the more money I make !

I don't know if we have something like that here in the U.S., but how does it work in England?
www.georgefledo.net

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
You could also do a search for "what is the penalty for missing jury duty in xyz city' or some such query.
We have so much information at our fingertips it's mind boggling.

When someone tells you it's now or never, you can't go too far wrong by choosing never.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting little scam... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL