The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Try before you buy..... Is this an option for high price effects? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 15:48, Stephen Young wrote:
. . . The 40 folders are then put through an aging process involving 4 separate stages.

Only those who have actually done this can appreciate what a very big task this small sentence really implies.

More power to you, Stephen.

BC
Phasmologist
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Agreed, Prof BC
I didn't want to go into more details for obvious reasons, but this takes longer than all the other processes put together.

steve
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1029 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
I think all the dealers will be nodding their heads on this one Prof!
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
Sicnatius
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
396 Posts

Profile of Sicnatius
So I read through the MIA instructions and I have to say, that even without buying the complete effect, I can use what I've learned on my own private effects.

So thanks to Steve for that opportunity and again, I think it's a great idea and the pricing is reasonable and very OK.

Michael
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3495 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
As an author of 2 books, I know the effort it takes to write. Steve's pdf is a whooping 50 pages and very detailed. I have been wanting to develop a performance effect based upon a local place for over 2 years but couldn't find a method that would work. I have owned several high end, aged effects in the past in search of the right method, none of which I have performed. I was willing to take a chance on the pdf and I think it has a unique method I can adapt to finally get this project off the ground. It may take me a little while but if it gets done I think it only fair to make sure Steve benefits from it. I was thinking maybe offering the effect to place on his site since the method is his. Another option is if I perform it for profit to make sure he gets a portion of each performance. At the price Steve is offering his pdf, I think all of us who can actually use it should do something to benefit Steve for his generosity beyond the price of the manuscript. With the potential future rewards being greater than the selling price of the manuscript, maybe more magic developers would follow Steve's example. If you can't use it you have learned a principle of magic at a modest cost. Either way we take care of our own and everyone wins. I invite each of you who have bought and will use this method to do something similar.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thank you Michael, I knew you'd like it. Smile

And thank you too O Tearful One.
There were many nice things in the BODY of your post, but I don't think I CAD AVA accept payment from your performances. Smile
I would certainly consider putting your effect on my site once you've completed it.

Steve
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3495 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On 2014-01-28 07:38, Stephen Young wrote:
Thank you Michael, I knew you'd like it. Smile

And thank you too O Tearful One.
There were many nice things in the BODY of your post, but I don't think I CAD AVA accept payment from your performances. Smile
I would certainly consider putting your effect on my site once you've completed it.

Why not? I get paid to bury the doctor's performance mistakes. lmcao (same as lmao but add cadaver) You are most generous. If you ever need a double occupancy burial, let me know. You must be willing to go now and with a stranger.

Weepin' Willie
"Your last mile is my first priority"

Steve
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I like this option, for some cases. I have the MIA manuscript (it was a nice gift from Steve during a mutual exchange of some ideas), and I love the effect, some really smart thinking going on here, and I would never be able to duplicate the props if I wanted to build my own. But at the same time, Steve has created a system, which no doubt will be pilfered by others to create "new" effects. I don't see why Steve shouldn't benefit from the system himself, at least as much as possible before the material becomes ripped off by the small minded idiots that thinks if it's on the internet... IT'S FAIR GAME.

I'm not going to get into intellectual property rights issue here, the "everything in the world should be open source" argument (which as a published playwright, I've had that argument too many times), but the bottom line is there are some effects were it would be better to profit (if that's your motive) from the effect as quickly as possible before it becomes a "fair use" softball that everyone is throwing around.

And if you do want a system that you can develop as your own, then I would recommend the MIA manual. Go to his website a read about MIA. And if you like what you see, you may just want to purchase the complete kit. You won't be sorry for that purchase. You'll have a 10-15 minute piece of mental theatre that will serve you well.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
One thing with this effect which I wasn't expecting at all (given the subject matter)...all the interest from performers in Germany.

Steve
NabilT
View Profile
New user
Caracas, Venezuela
16 Posts

Profile of NabilT
That model also should work nicely for us who have to pay a extra bunch in shipping rates, and in my venezuelan case, where there's a currency control, and a limit in the amount of money you can use to make online purchases, it let's you make either more informed choices or less painful mistakes
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
I think it's wonderful idea Steve. There have been many times where I can imagine a method may be very useful, but the theme of the effect is irrelevant to my personal style. More importantly, it shows confidence in your product. ( so many times in the early days, when enquiring as to why a rubber band and a length of fishing line had just cost me £30, only to be told ' you're paying for the SECRET. Always wondered why I couldn't just buy the 'secret' for a £15!' Smile
The fact that you have nothing to hide or be kinda embarrassed about (I'm sure we've all experienced the dreaded ' don't be put off by the simplicity of the gimmick' line in the instructions preface! I always read that as ' yeah ok, we know it's a rubber band/fishing line/thumb tip with a suction cup on it, but please give it a try before you throw it in the drawer!'),
So your offer would lead me to trust that I'm buying a quality product with no dodgy marketing.
If only it was common practise. Good luck mate.
Kneill.
Spiingo
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Spiingo
I like the idea, although I've not seen your product. When I've bought Bizarre magic tricks in the past I've often ended up trying to source antique/aged props to fit in with something my "grandfather picked up in the Carpathians during the 2nd World War" to replace the dodgy Tenko-esque device supplied. If the pdf effect is good and your complete creation saves months of searching for the 'right wooden box', you're not only being honest but have provided an advert for the correct tools for the job.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
@Spiingo I know what you mean about having to replace supplied props with something more suitable.

In an effect like this, although it is the performer who SELLS the effect to his audience, the props are what give it credibility.

Blowing my own trumpet a bit here, But I believe the props to be unbeatable.
That is one reason why I'm happy to let people purchase the PDF.
Because the props are so time consuming to make that if the effect is suitable then most purchasers will go on to order the props as well.

If I could work out how to post pictures here I'd show some examples.
Steve
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On 2014-02-04 04:31, Stephen Young wrote:
If I could work out how to post pictures here I'd show some examples.
Steve

I'd love to see some pics.

Step 1: Upload to imgur: http://imgur.com/

Step 2: Right click on the image when it appears on imgur and select "Copy image URL"

Step 3: In a Café post type: (img)PASTE IMAGE URL HERE.JPG(/img) - make sure you replace the brackets with square brackets

Step 4: Click submit

Ta-Daaa!
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Thanks Mat

I'll have to go open up an imgur account now I guess.

Steve
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
No account necessary, you can upload all you like without a login
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I agree with you Stephen. Your PDF took time to develop and has much value.
How much value compared or included with the physical prop depends, and is subjective and up to you.
I think if the effect (routine) equals the quality of the prop then it's a winning idea.
If the PDF is better than the quality or gaff etc then it could be a problem.
I think selling the PDF proves you believe in and stand behind the quality and that is actually a decent marketing idea.
You stand the chance in the end of making more money, winning some business (selling the PDF) from those who are on the fence and are not going to buy anyways.
Just an idea, maybe if you buy the PDF first, and if you end up buying the prop second, you could discount the prop minus the cost of the PDF?
Turning a sale into a bigger sale.
This may help you sell more higher priced items and also have a higher satisfaction rate with customers?
Those who do not wish to sell the idea before you buy the prop, that's not wrong either, they just may not close as many sales.
Its a win/win. Just my 2 cents Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Try before you buy..... Is this an option for high price effects? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL