The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Exposure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I was at a Christmas party where they had a grandchild perform a small little magic show. It was fun to watch a little kid do this. But I have a problem because the kid performed the Hot Rod and did a good job it...but they he passed the actual Hot Rod around the room so that everyone can see how it was done.

As a practicing magician I felt like I needed to talk to him but I didn't want to make him mad or his parents for that matter. But now 30 more laypeople know how that trick works.

Thoughts anyone?
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I suppose it's one of the problems with using tricks that have been mass marketed - they've got a limited lifespan until someone reveals it. If the trick is available then people will buy it to 'have a play', and then either reveal it like this kid did, or do it so badly that everyone works out the method in any case.

What do you do? I don't know. Keeping magic DVDs at high prices is one method, not mass marketing products is another, but you can hardly ask to see someone's IBM or SAM card before selling to them. This new holdout system with the leasing plan might help (but it costs over $1500), but it's not practical with the cheaper stuff.

So, but the more expensive props - I chose the $80 colour change brass over the $20 version - it looks nicer and parents aren't going to fork out $80 to keep their kids amused, so I might be safe longer.

Move to more magic that uses skill and hours of practice rather than the self-working type. I use a little of the self-working, but now have moved towards cards, coins and ropes partly for the reason that people can't just buy the tricks.

And finally, it was a Christmas party, if there was enough alcohol served, 28 of those 30 people won't remember it in the morning in any case.

David.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Alchohol or not, David's last paragraph in the post above is the key.

Unless people have a very clearly defined interest in something, they simply will NOT remember it for more than a day or two, and even then not very accurately.

In other words, don't worry about it.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5359 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Peter beat me to it! Most people don’t remember an exposed trick much more than a day or so after seeing the exposure. They simply are not interested.

I had an almost identical experience at a New Years Day brunch. The kid in question was 13 and did a great magic routine. It included the Hot Rod (as well as a sponge ball routine and CMH). The kid’s uncle sort of took the prop later in the day and was looking at it and showing it to a couple of his friends and discussing how it was done (he guessed right!). The poor kid was frustrated trying to get his prop back.

I took the prop from dear uncle as if interested in it and “found” a button that made it work. I simply did a Hot-Rod performance by pushing the secret button making the prop work. Then the prop returned to normal and I walked away letting them look for the button.

I love it when people don’t know I’m a magician!

Smile Smile
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I love to agree with smart people. And I agree that an exposed trick is like an 800 phone number on TV. Tomorrow nobody will know it.

I also, detest those jerks who think they have added to the entertainment of mankind by exposing the trick. They confuse the terms “entertainment” and “interruption”. An advantage of being an old magician is that I always know that I will get a chance to really sting them later. Would I do that?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander Smile
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Thanks for your help. I don't perform the Hot Rod too often as I have moved on to other and better tricks (sleight of hand for example), but I guess it is the principle of the thing.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Martin Reinertz
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Martin Reinertz
I know what you're talking about. Recently, a major German toy company rleased a new magic set for children. Guess what they put in there?!? A TT!

Apart from the fact that the average kid will not even put enough work into magic to even handle a TT reasonably well, I believe such versatile props (that are used in a huge variety of effects) should be kept a secret until s.o. REALLY decides to get into magic.
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
Quote:
On 2004-01-03 08:31, Peter Marucci wrote:
Unless people have a very clearly defined interest in something, they simply will NOT remember it for more than a day or two, and even then not very accurately.

In other words, don't worry about it.

Even if they DO have a clearly defined interest, they may not remember or properly understand something. I work in a magic shop, and a boy came in today who had already received two high-end magic kits in the past. He was very interested in magic and was looking for something new to try (I tried to steer him towards some books, but people WILL fall in love with gimmicks).

After looking at a number of tricks, he expressed a great deal of interested in a small plastic ball and vase. I was surprised, since he had told me about the magic sets. I commented that most magic sets included a similar item. Thinking back, he realized that he actually already had one and simply hadn't learned how to use it properly.

I told him to skip the purchase, bring in the one he had, and the staff would show him how to use it (To the shock of his mother, who was amazed any store would teach the mechanism of a trick bought elsewhere.) There was no point to buying a repeat gimmick just to learn how to perform it.

He was interested and knew how it worked (he had to if he had one) and still didn't recognize it for what he had seen before.
filem
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of filem
Quote:
On 2004-01-02 18:54, Astinus wrote:
I was at a Christmas party where they had a grandchild perform a small little magic show. It was fun to watch a little kid do this. But I have a problem because the kid performed the Hot Rod and did a good job it...but they he passed the actual Hot Rod around the room so that everyone can see how it was done.

As a practicing magician I felt like I needed to talk to him but I didn't want to make him mad or his parents for that matter. But now 30 more laypeople know how that trick works.

Thoughts anyone?

Do talk to him. Explain about the Golden Rule of Magic (i.e "never reveal the secret") and tell him why, namely because even if the secret is fun to know, it is the longing of knowing the secret that is even more exciting. We are there to present a mystery. We are magicians!
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Quote:
On 2004-02-07 21:57, Martin Reinertz wrote:
I know what you're talking about. Recently, a major German toy company rleased a new magic set for children. Guess what they put in there?!? A TT!

Many children's magic kits include a TT. Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the TT has been a staple of what's known as "slum magic" for decades now.

Don't worry about this stuff, everyone knows magicians use gimmicks, but magicians are the ones who know that it's not the gimmick that makes the magic.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Everyone knows that TT's are only used for "vanishing silk and paper".

No one will suspect it in a bill change, or other sort of change routine.

Check out Losander's work on the TT silk vanish... VERY VERY good and fools everyone who knows about TT's.

Anyway, I don't agree with the:
"but they he passed the actual Hot Rod around the room so that everyone can see how it was done."

I know a lot of magicians that do pass the hot rod around afterwards half changed, I don't think this counts as exposure as it is part of the effect.

In anycase, exposure is bad, but in the end usually won't hurt working magicians.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Relleg writes: ". . . they may not remember the exact details but what they do remember is that they were shown the secret. It reduces any further performances of magic they see to a challenge, the "magic" becomes a "puzzle"."

Uh, yes.

You mean, there are people out there who really think that what we do is MAGIC?

Of course it can be reduced to a puzzle! That applies to every magic trick at every time. In fact, bad magicians reduce any magic trick to a puzzle every time they perform it.

The real "magic" is in the perfomance and the magician.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Exposure (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL