We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For the Styx fans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I know there are some here from past posts. Saw them last night...fantastic show. Tommy Shaw hit 60 late last year, but you'd never know it. Lawrence McGowan might as well be Dennis DeYoung, and James Young and the rhythm section were awesome. Great venue, sound mix, set list...couldn't have been much better.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Were they playing their 70s-80s hits, or do they have new material for the show?

BTW, I think Lawrence Gowan is a much better musician than Dennis DeYoung, but I can't think of any Styx hits with him singing. Hmm.

Here is a Gowan classic from 1985. I have no idea if it got any airplay outside of Canada, but it was HUGE here.

Sounds like a cool show, Lobo.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
They were playing the 70s & 80s stuff, with Gowan singing the Dennis DeYoung songs. Their set list, as I remember it, in no particular order:

Blue Collar Man
The Grand Illusion
Crystal Ball
Light Up
I'm O.K.
Man in the Wilderness
Fooling Yourself
Too Much Time on My Hands
Lady
Miss America
Encores: Rockin' The Paradise & Renegade

Might have forgotten one or two. There was also an interlude in the middle when Gowan played parts of various classic rock songs and led an audience singalong, including stuff from Queen, Elton John, Clapton, and maybe a half dozen more.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-01-26 21:47, LobowolfXXX wrote:
They were playing the 70s & 80s stuff, with Gowan singing the Dennis DeYoung songs. Their set list, as I remember it, in no particular order:

Blue Collar Man
The Grand Illusion
Crystal Ball
Light Up
I'm O.K.
Man in the Wilderness
Fooling Yourself
Too Much Time on My Hands
Lady
Miss America
Encores: Rockin' The Paradise & Renegade

Might have forgotten one or two. There was also an interlude in the middle when Gowan played parts of various classic rock songs and led an audience singalong, including stuff from Queen, Elton John, Clapton, and maybe a half dozen more.

I would have swapped out I'm O.K., Light Up, and Lady (if necessary) to get Suite Madam Blue, Snowblind, and something else from Pieces of Eight or Paradise Theater (Queen of Spades, Pieces of Eight, Nothing Ever Goes as Planned, Lonely People...) in there. Other than that, it was about a perfect show.

Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Sounds like it was a great show. I'd love to see the Tommy Shaw version of STYX. A few years back I saw the Dennis DeYoung version and it was a really great show.
Bob.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1224 Posts

Profile of imgic
You've inspired me to dig out some of my old vinyl ...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10228 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No Loreli?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Last time I saw them was in the 90s when they did a reunion and played Paradise Theater.

I sat next to Shaw on a plane once. Really great person to talk with for a few hours.

I never know if they are back together or not!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10228 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
No Loreli?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Alas, no.

Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Styx (Laurence Gowan on keyboards) performing "I am the walrus" with The Contemporary Youth Orchestra. With the full orchestra this had to sound incredible live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTvsSnRKw2E
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For the Styx fans (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL