The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Lovers of the pasteboards... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
I haven't seen a post in this forum regarding this topic. It seems only fitting to share this thread those who love cards and card magic.
A deck of cards to take your magic to a whole new level....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/694......-j-gould

We've been very excited about these over in the "spooky" forum.
If you're on the fence about the case... take a gander at Chris's "Devil's Library" over at Alchemy Moon.
The case will be a work of art.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
"A deck of cards to take your magic to a whole new level...."? Yeah, but I'd prefer that "whole new level" is UP, not down. The artwork looks very intriguing and masterful, but I wouldn't get caught dead performing with those cards. Magic relies on sometimes taking advantage of the audience's assumptions, and other times overcoming their assumptions. There's no possible way you're going to overcome an automatic assumption of "trick magic store cards" with this deck.
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 15:49, magicwatcher2005 wrote:
"A deck of cards to take your magic to a whole new level...."? Yeah, but I'd prefer that "whole new level" is UP, not down. The artwork looks very intriguing and masterful, but I wouldn't get caught dead performing with those cards. Magic relies on sometimes taking advantage of the audience's assumptions, and other times overcoming their assumptions. There's no possible way you're going to overcome an automatic assumption of "trick magic store cards" with this deck.

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree with you more. Obviously it's not your cup of tea, but this deck is more designed for story telling magic than the ambitious card routine. IMHO an audience can only stay intrigued by "pick a card... is this your card?" for so long.
If you take a look at the updates, you'll see that there is a lot more to these cards than the art work. - Which I agree is masterful. There is a well thought out cold reading system you could use to provide a deeper connection to your spec or use as part of your routine. I think it's brilliant.
The whole vibe harkens back to carnivals and fortune tellers of days past. There are two optional books for add on that explain the different paths of the cards in detail. "the readers path and the magician's path".

My intention behind the original post was not to start a debate but to pass on the info to any others, like myself who might be interested and are not aware of the deck / campaign.
Regardless, I wish you well on your own path. Smile
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Oh, well since it IS a gaffed deck you'll have that working for you too.
horus1
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of horus1
Yup. It is gaffed if you need. (This is the gaffed and funky forum!).
But again, it's worth a deeper read into the merits of the deck for anyone who might be curious about what it's all about as the gaff is a very small part of the deck and possibilities.
A pdf here touches the surface.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1771......eyes.pdf

A deeper read into the KS site itself
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/694......-j-gould
will speak of the two book add ons and help clarify what the possibilities are. Again. It's designed for much more than "pick a card".

I'm just a guy and frankly one that doesn't need a gaffed deck, that would like to see this funded. And again, I put out the info not for debate but for anyone this deck my resonate with.
I'm a fan of Chris' other offerings and am hopeful that this deck and the cool leather case will become a part of my arsenal.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Horus1 - these look awesome. So many possibilities with these cards... they can be an innocuous as a 'Magic 8' ball and as deep as offering a full reading... nice!! I'm in for a brick!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Lovers of the pasteboards... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL