The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Different Himber Ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
I need a new himber ring after being re-inspired by Richard Osterlind, but I don't want the typical looking segmented ring. I'd prefer one with a stone, but nothing too huge as I have rather thin fingers. Any ideas of where to get something like this?

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
mowog
View Profile
New user
Wales, UK
12 Posts

Profile of mowog
Christian

RAR Magic here in the UK carry a nice engagement style, with stones himber ring.

http://www.rarmagic.com

I've seen one close up and they seem great quality.

Good luck!
Darren
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-01-03 11:49, mowog wrote:
Christian

RAR Magic here in the UK carry a nice engagement style, with stones himber ring.

http://www.rarmagic.com

I've seen one close up and they seem great quality.

Good luck!
Darren

I saw one of these rings a couple of months ago at Ken Klosterman's. Save your money.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
I think it best to get one of the wedding band style. Check out L&L Publishing they have a good one yoiu can get as a free gift if yoiu buy $150.00 in product from them You can buy it from them as well I am sure.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
IMHO the Wedding Band H. Ring is NG... it SHOUTS gimmick with all the cut lines.

Keep working with what you have, and if what I am working on can be made properly it will revolutionize the effect (the handling part).

Stay tooned.... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I agree with Pete that the wedding band version shouts gimmick...I absolutely HATE all those cut lines.

The best version I ever saw was a signet ring model that Joe Stevens used to sell. I never bought one because I didn't feel like shelling out $750 dollars at the time, and could kick myself now for holding off as it's no longer available.

Larry D.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
The one sold everywhere is a bit gimmicky looking. This is especially true if it starts out from you in your routine.

I do a short routine with it, that may help. If I am doing a small walk around, I give the ring to a helper (or a guest) and after asking to see someone’s ring, I ask the “helper” if I can barrow his or her wedding band. When I started doing it this way, I never was asked to see the ring after the trick.

NOTE: I took a “standard” Himber to a jeweler and asked if he could do the “gimmick” if a gave him a signet ring. He told me it would have to be a very good quality signet ring and he would charge $200.00 to $400.00 to make it. This was out of my price range. But like, Larry, I often think I should have gone for it.

There was also a jeweler on ebay that was asking $300.00 or $400.00 to convert a ring that you would supply, He was going to do only a few. However, I was unable to find anything out about the person.
Bob
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Christian,

You are not suppose to wear the Himber type ring. The ring is of little importance. I own a 10 Karate gold ring that I paid $450, some years ago and have the cheaper model sold for $37, that I believe they are selling for $50, costume jewelery. The both work for all the 3 linking ring routines on the market today.

To my knowledge there is no mens ring on the market with a stone. Remember in the routine it is a borrowed ring, not your ring.

Have fun!
Bill Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-01-11 10:49, wmhegbli wrote:
To my knowledge there is no mens ring on the market with a stone. Remember in the routine it is a borrowed ring, not your ring.

The early Himber signet rings were available with a stone. You could also get a matching non-gaffed ring to go with the "worker."

The new Ted Lesley ring, which will be appearing later this year will have a stone.

But as in any other routine with such a ring, it should not and need not be worn. It is supposed to be a borrowed ring.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tony Venetico
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
238 Posts

Profile of Tony Venetico
I only wear silver -- no yellow gold jewlery at all -- anyone know a good place to get a nice silver Himber so people don't attract to the one odd yellow gold ring I have on?
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17103 Posts

Profile of joseph
Spend a hundred bucks here:

http://www.calmagic.com/index2.html

and get a free Himber Ring. Look under 'Specials'. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dizney97,

Once again, you do not wear the ring. It is supposed to be a borrowed ring.

It is to your advantage that you were silver and the gold ring is borrowed.

Bill
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Well Guys I'm a bit confused

I am thinking of investing in a Himber ring but most of the rings I see depicted on the web have a very unusual shape which I guess is related to the gaff.

So here are my questions :

1) given the weird look of the ring I suppose a lot of people want to have a look at it. Can you give out the ring or do you have to switch it out for a normal one ?

2) Is the basic effect
a - (close-up) interlocking your ring with a spectator's
b - (stage-parlor) interlocking two spectators' rings (actually switching one of their rings for the HR)
c - none of the above, something else

Thanks for helping me make best use of my budget !

Daniel
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Daniel,

The HR is (B) but it is usually done with 3 rings from 3 different areas of the audience. This is the credited to KORAN, I believe you would not perform it for less then 30 people in an audience.

I don't know what you mean buy "unusual". They come in 2 styles:

A. Signet ring (meaning plane/blank flat top that you could have a jeweler ingrave an initial on.

B. Wedding band (meaning a wedding band for male or female)

You could use it close up, simply linking it to a borrowed ring. But I don't think it would be effective at all, because it is your ring. It would be very difficult to find a matching ring in a jewelery store. You would have to buy 2 and have a jeweler soldier the second. That is if you it can be accomplished.

Recently, there is an Engagement ring model, with a stone. Again, this would be only for a woman volunteer.

If you have a budget, get the $50 model, it is electroplated gold. Most HR in real gold are from $500 to $1000.

Hope this helps you. If you want to just do a linking ring effect, I believe REPO in England still sell the original model as Koran performed the linking of 3 rings.

Bill
perlimpinpin
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of perlimpinpin
Thanks Bill,

That clarifies it for me. Since I don't have the occasion to perfom for such crowds the HR is not appropriate.

Thanks again
Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Different Himber Ring? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL