The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Seen any good movies lately? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I've actually stumbled upon some decent stuff on Netflix lately.

A really good documentary about Jewish refugees hiding in a cave in the Ukraine during WWII called: No Place On Earth.

Another holocaust based movie called The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. An interesting film that looks at the effects of the war on a family of an SS member who runs a concentration camp. Fiction, but makes you think about the humanity of the families of Nazis and the horrors of the war in general.

Hachi- a movie about a dumb dog that waits for years for his master to come home after he dies. Based on true events. Stupid mutt. Did someone start cutting onions in here? Smile

A Christian movie called Upside. Actually a decent Christian film. Good writing and decent acting. A rarity in Christian cinema. A great delivery of the message without wooden, preachy dialog.

I just watched The Sum of all Fears. A little late, I know- but good movie.

And Jack Reacher- good also. I don't think there was maybe one swear word. Good movie that felt like watching a cop drama from the old days. Not an explosion a minute, but drama and suspense.

You catch any good ones lately?
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The last four movies I've seen (over the past couple of months) were Gravity, American Hustle, August: Osage County, and The Wolf of Wall Street. I thought the middle two were very, very good, and the other two were fairly good. Word of warning, though- Wolf of Wall Street is very long and has a ton of nudity.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I just saw "The Butler" with Forest Whitaker. Really good.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Twelve Years a Slave and Nebraska. Both worth seeing.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I haven't seen it yet but I hear The Lone Survivor is pretty intense from start to finish and rivals Saving Private Ryan. The only difference being The Lone Survivor is a true story. I plan on seeing it this week or next.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
If you get a chance, go see The Book Thief.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I was pleasantly surprised by "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone." Also saw the newest Hunger Games (in a rare trip to the theater because I got passes for my birthday) and I am enjoying that series far more than I expected. I usually watch documentaries and "America the Beautiful 2: The Thin Commandments" is very interesting. "Deceptive Practices" about Ricky Jay is also on Netflix. Pretty similar to the last doc I saw about him but kind of interesting anyway.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'd like to see the new Hunger Games. I watched the first one out of desperation and was pleasantly surprised.

Gravity- I really want to see this one. I really like Sandra Bullock. I just saw The Blindside recently and really liked that.

I think I'll pass on Wolf of Wall Street. lol

My son really liked Lone Survivor and my daughter loved The Book Thief.

Oh yeah Critter, I've got the Ricky Jay movie in my list. Glad to hear it's an interesting watch.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
La Camioneta ........Netflix. A nice documentary following a used school bus from an auction yard here in the states to its end purpose: a privately run city bus in a big Guatemalan city...where drivers are shot by the dozens by the mafia for not paying off mo they. Interesting, sad, chilling, revelatory. It's a nice hour-ten.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Do TV movies count? If so, I really enjoyed Lizzie Borden Took an Axe, that premiered this past weekend.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Wolf of Wall Street was spectacular...and not in any way a family film. It's a VERY hard R.
Captain Phillips was also incredible. I was physically tired at the end of it, due to the suspense that builds. Definitely a great film.
Saving Mr. Banks was also a lot of fun, and I was surprised that Emma Thompson didn't receive a Best Actress nomination from the Academy. She was very good.
Gravity...beautifully shot. I'm glad I saw it in a theater.

I think that's all I've seen.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Captain Phillips! Want to see that one too.

Yes Michael- TV movies very much count! I'm usually priced out of the theater. lol

Tom- that sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I rented Captain Phillips for my Mom. I'll have to ask her if she liked it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Looking for a movie to go see on Sunday Afternoon. Not much is playing in Seattle that I haven't already seen. Probably go see American Hustle of The Invisible woman.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I heard from a friend today American Hustle is a good movie. That's on my list too.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
"Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon.

Smile Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
A Day at the Races
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I've seen American Hustle (A+), Nebraska (okay, depressing, black and white, and not as good as Sideways. beautifully filmed, Durn should have been in better films, this was his parting shot to show his chops and he delivers, but it makes you wish hollywood had treasured him more. Good film, but not the career defining role I'm sure he was hoping for), Inside Llewellian Davis - I was really looking forward to this one having taken lessons from Dave Van Ronk, the character the film was billed as loosly based on. Instead of giving us DVR, they gave us an ahole, unlikable character that happened to play Dave's repretroire. I would have liked it better had I not known the character they were assasinating. But with all of the Coen Brothers work, it was interesting and interesting to watch. And it was great that they allowed the songs to be played in their entirity: full song performances with no cutaways to show us something other than the musician playing and singing. I loved that and realized that the only time I've seen that in another film was Annie Hall (and maybe the Blue Angel).

I finally saw Blue Jasmine and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Incredible performances all the way around but Cate Blanchett took film acting to a complete new level. She deserves every award she gets for this career defining role. The film itself was smart, made you think, had a great twist, and kept me guessing and entertained every second. Say what you want about Woody, but he knows how to create a great film when he wants.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Slide, I second your opinion of Blue Jasmine. Great movie, and Cate Blanchett absolutely deserves an Oscar for her performance.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I enjoyed Blue Jasmine, I liked Cate Blanchett and the other actress who played the poorer sister was also very good. The movie as a whole didn't completely satisfy me however. It was a nice change of pace though to see a Woody Allen movie where some of the main characters are working class.

I haven't seen Inside Llewelyn Davis yet. Slide, I had a good friend who also studied guitar with DVR and she would tell the funniest stories about him. He was, from her stories, a lovable gruff curmudgeon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Seen any good movies lately? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL