The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear Gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
No kidding,

You should eventually invest in NewsFlash 2.0 if you're going to do newspaper tear.

There is always an audible intake of air from the crowd at the restoral.

I get other Magicians who do paper tear come up and compliment me on the speed of the restoral (and I can tell they really mean it).

But more importantly the public loves it.

-Mary Mowder
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have invested SO MUCH of my life in the Anderson, having used it in the past, I think changing would be difficult.

I experimented with several other tears before settling on Gene's.

But is there a video of your tear in action?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Mary, I watched it, and it looked pretty darn good. The difference is that he seemed to have two squares of paper and the restoration looked like he almost dropped them, them regrasped and pulled left and right with his hands and in a flash the pieces rejoined. In the Anderson version, the papers have more of a ripped, ragged look just before you "fuse weld" them, and as with the one you shared, there is a bit of a "dropping" action as the pieces come together. 

I don't know if it's splitting hairs or not, but both restorations happen in a flash, a split second, and much too fast for the human eye to follow. I'm not sure I'm convinced that to an audience they look significantly different. I think both audiences would go home saying "And the pieces were instantly restored."

What do you think?
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I will agree that the Anderson tear is hard to beat. But I have performed No Tear 2 a few times lately and I think it will take the place of the Anderson Tear for me. Easy to do, reset is easy,
gimmick will not wear out and maybe more of a fooler. I think it sells for around $25.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Only $25.00? That sounds like a fair price. And the gimmick won't wear out??? Seriousy? Wow!

I thought that I had read a couple years ago that the tear was in the two hundred dollar range. My mind must be messing up on me.

Twenty five bucks sounds doable. But getting me to change after putting so much in the Anderson all these years is a tall order.
What are some of the other advantages this version has over Anderson. I'm open minded.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
It is much more like $125. but the folding around action that seems so clear to me in the Anderson Tear (don't get me wrong, I still like it) is absolutely not a part of NewsFlash 2.0

To each his own though.

-Mary
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I guess my mind was indeed messing up. I was thinking in the two hundred dollar range, as I had recalled. My recollection was wrong. I have to admit, though, his flash restoration does look sharp.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I just saw a price of $148. in another link so… ?

-Mary
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
The version I am talking about is No Tear 2 by Andy Dallas and Mark Mason which sells for $24.95.

Go to this link and watch the video: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3650

I have used this in a number of shows and it plays exactly like Mark performs in the video.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Actually, I did go through a time of using the no tear.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
In my opinion, "No Tear" is easier for us but does not get the same reaction from the crowd.

-Mary Mowder
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
There's a lot to be said for the build-up and antcipation that comes with the actual action of you TEARING the newspaper prior to the pieces going back together.

By definition "No tear" nixes that.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I have become a fan of the No Tear. If you watch the link above with Mark Mason performing he is pretending to read jokes off each of the pieces of paper. During that time the audience really doesn't know where he is headed with the effect. Then all of the sudden, bang the pieces are restored and the missing piece just adds to the mystery. With all of the torn and restored versions once you start tearing the paper into pieces the audience knows that you are likely going to restore the paper.

Just my opinion as both are great effects. I would also add that I agree with Mary in that the No Tear version is much easier to perform as is the reset. I also find it much easier to practice
in that your tearing up papers in the process. So because it is easier to practice I find that I practice it more often.

Talk about pack small/flat and play big, either of these effects are hard to beat. Also they a very cheap!!!

Have a nice day and and happy tearing and restoring!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I kind of agree with what you said about cheap. Only problem here is our town newspaper is a buck a copy. And for me practicing at home before I present it, it's really beginning to add up!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I find free papers in nearby towns.

Whenever you find yourself in a town that does have free papers, grab some.
Finding a free newspaper that has a pleasant photo on the cover is always nice.
Unpleasant photos make for good practice papers.

NewsFlash 2.0 works with any size paper.

I can see an advantage in owning a no tear, just in case you don't have papers on hand.

How often do you have to replace the restoral paper for the "No Tear"?

-Mary Mowder
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
As I recall, that no tear lasted a dog gone long time.

I'm still working on the Anderson, though. I don't think it's possible for the general public to appreciate the practice that goes into the simple act of tearing a sheet  of newspaper. On the surface it's a simple act. But as  I watch the master himself, Gene Anderson in the Ytube video, I am struck by the utter smoothness of his routine. Not a hint of fumbling, no hesitation, never misses a beat. No awkward pauses in his patter while he performs the physical act of tearing. This is a man who has done this thousands of times, under every possible condition. Smooth as proverbial silk. 

I'm going to be that good someday. Yeah, someday.

Not that I haven't practiced. I actually practiced and presented the tear in my show hundreds of times in years past. But Gene is the ultimate! Even at the last moment just before he unfurls the restored paper, there is not a hint of his fingers grabbing the secret  _____ prior to him releasing it. His presentation is as perfect as it gets. He makes it look natural and beautiful. 

It brings my mind back to something I read Dariel Fitzgee say in his book "Showmanship For Magicians". I remember him listing "Tireless Rehearsal" as an actual audience appeal. And he was right! It's appealing to an audience because it results in smoothness of performance. It's an intangible. Yet somehow your audience is going to sense it and appreciate it in the final result.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You should see Gene's Picto - Transpo.

It's always fun to see Gene perform. He is incredibly professional, likable and smooth in his handling.

-Mary Mowder
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
They don't come much more professional than Gene. Pure genius, too.

Does anybody have an idea on the circa of that Gene Anderson video? My first guess is late 1960's, but I didn't think the USA today was around that early.

Also, is Gene still alive and performing? 

I also wonder if he personally coached Doug Henning on the tear.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Also, thank-you Mary, for the great tip!
PM'd you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Gene Anderson Newspaper Tear Gimmick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL