The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » James Randi is wrong (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..13~14~15 [Next]
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2014-01-30 15:07, Wizard Benjamin wrote:

Long before the Greeks,....I believe a civilization known as Vikings.....did think that the earth was flat.

The Viking civilisation was perhaps at its height around 700 - 800 AD. Ancient Greece (the period that I think we're talking about here) 700 - 400 BC. The Greeks of Aristotle et al walked the earth 1000 years before the Vikings. Not to be pedantic, but just so we know.

The Vikings also didn't really think the world was flat. They thought it was a giant serpent eating its own tail, so a kind of continuous loop which is why the earth's oceans didn't spill over the side. And they found their way across to North America, so the fear of falling off the edge must have been quite negligible.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
That wouldn't have been Vikings, Wizard Benjamin. Vikings came much later in history than the Ancient Greeks. But my semi-informed understanding has been that humanity flip-flopped between flat earth and round earth models a number of times over the centuries.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-01-30 15:07, Wizard Benjamin wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 17:34, mastermindreader wrote:
I beg to differ. Even the Greeks of the classical period (long before the advent of modern science and before the profession of "scientist" even existed) knew that the earth was round.

Long before the Greeks,....I believe a civilization known as Vikings.....did think that the earth was flat. But I think the point was that "scientists" are not necessarily the "high Priests" of all that is called "factual". Many in history called "scientists",...were later proven by concensus to be factually wrong. Even more recently, see the "Thought Reader Craze", and the reports by more than one scientist, but for one example, Willam Crookes (discoveror of thallium), that 'thought transference" between the minds of teo humans was something that was real and existed in certain practionrs.

As pointed out by Voodini, the Vikings were way after the ancient Greeks of the Classical era.

And "scientist" was not the term used in ancient times. In the days you refer to, most were thought of as philosophers and later, around the 17th Century, "natural philosphers" (which later was termed "natural science")

"Scientist" was a term that came into its own in the 19th Century with the development of the "scientific method."

There were no scientists, in the modern sense of the word, in the ancient times you speak of.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Isaac Newton.... Obviously a "Scientist" in the 1600's.....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes. Newton lived from the mid 17th Century through the early 18th, At the time he was considered to be a "natural philosopher" or "natural scientist." In retrospect we can see the foundations of modern science developed in his work.

It should be noted, though, that Newton also pursued studies in astrology and the occult.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That's why I like him ... A Mystical Alchemist....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've asked to be banned
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Copernicus... I named my pet frog after him.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
James Randi doesn't really care what you think of him. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Johannes L.
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
692 Posts

Profile of Johannes L.
What I've seen of the Randi Prize is that it seems impossible since they make it impossible to prove. It's like taking a professional swimmer and change the circumstances so that he has to swim in glue. I don't know. Doesn't seem like it is possible even if there were paranormal abilities?
The Rain Man Glimpse

Effect: The mentalist memorize any kind of information in less than a second. $5
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
JohnLinden:

I think it's like having a swimmer say that he can swim in a pool and having them swim while being watched, and having been prevented from using floaties, motors, etc.

If you could REALLY read minds, how could they stop you? Did you watch the utube of the test of the guy that had the balance bracelets (I think it was)..could you explain how they "trapped him in glue", cuz I don't see it.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I can read a book ... But I can't read it in the Dark ... I can read a book, but I can't with the pages covered. I can read a book, but I can't if it's in the other room .... bottom line is ... I can read a book but the circumstances must be mine ... That's the problem with Pseudo Skeptics ... THEY want to set the rules. And it's easy to see how that doesn't work. Smile
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 17:07, granterg wrote:
James Randi is wrong to think that the paranormal does not exist.

He is perfectly entitled to his opinion. His opinion is based on the scientific method, a method that requires a procedure to prove what is happening. That procedure can equally prove the existence of paranormal activity, just as much as it can disprove it.

Quote:
He bases this belief on the fact that he has found no evidence of it.

Well... duh! Why would someone be obligated to believe in something if they are yet to find any proof? Let alone any sort of EVIDENCE?

Quote:
In my opinion, this is foolish reasoning because absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence.

So we should all believe that aliens are shape-shifters that change into mail boxes when we aren't looking? And the reason we can't see them is because our brains can't find evidence that those mail boxes are actually aliens? Come on, that sort of cycle of logic is just silly.

As on the JREF website, Webster’s Online Dictionary defines “paranormal” as “not scientifically explainable; supernatural.”

All of the claims that have come to the JREF has been testable, and proven to have no evidence of paranormal activity. If there were claims that could prove something was not on this universe, then the evidence done by the tests would AT LEAST prove that we can't understand it.

That being said, to quote Arthur C. Clarke, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

The entire IDEA of "paranormal" is ridiculous (which is why it is, at its best, "entertainment"). Something not be explainable by science? Even IF something came from a different universe, or different dimension of some kind, it would still HAVE to have some sort of chemical and psychical mechanism to make it work. Meaning something can prove why that certain something exists, even if not by our own world's devices.

Meaning, if we were to find some person who could, let's say bend metal with their mind, we would produce tests to figure out WHY & HOW they could do it. It would be an abnormal feat by normal human standards because no human in history has had that ability outside of conjuring techniques. Therefore, it would prove why these abilities exist, and yet it would still be subject to the rigorous testing that people like Mr. Randi subject all paranormal claims to.

If these abilities exist, it would not be because they are "not of this world." It would be because they ARE of this world, and simply haven't been discovered or studied yet. No one has come forth with those sorts of testable abilities, nor with evidence or proof of their existence other than testimonials. And therefore, people should have no reason to ACTUALLY believe they exist. It's really not that difficult. If it can be defined, it can be rationalized, and then it will have to be subject to doubt. This is basics of philosophy, and also of science.

Quote:
On 2014-01-30 20:09, John Linden wrote:
What I've seen of the Randi Prize is that it seems impossible since they make it impossible to prove. It's like taking a professional swimmer and change the circumstances so that he has to swim in glue. I don't know. Doesn't seem like it is possible even if there were paranormal abilities?

Again, see above what I wrote. If they are paranormal abilities, they would still be subject to the basic physical laws of someone's universe (likely ours). Therefore, subject to the scientific tests known in our time. If they can't be proven with current methods, that still doesn't necessarily mean it is paranormal. Taken directly from the JREF website:

"Some claims are, unfortunately, untestable. For example, claiming that you are able to make someone feel happy by talking to them is untestable, because it is impossible to objectively gauge someone’s level of happiness, especially if they have been told that after talking to you they should feel happy.

If your claim is untestable, there is nothing that can be done to alter that status unless you find a new claim or negotiate a protocol in which the results are self-evident and objectively testable."

The JREF honestly makes it about as easy as it can get. And if you can't prove your claim using simple logic then you don't deserve the million dollars.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-01-30 00:11, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 21:51, landmark wrote:
This section is devoted to mental effects achieved through normal means.
That's odd, my technology produces a screen which clearly shows this section of the Café is for " The general discussion of Mentalism." Do you have any extraordinary proof of this extraordinary claim of yours?

My ordinary computer looked up ordinary Wikipedia and found this definition of mentalism: "Mentalism is a performing art in which its practitioners, known as mentalists, appear [italics mine] to demonstrate highly developed mental or intuitive abilities.

But I suppose we all have different definitions.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I guess I've been hanging out in the Not Very Magical section so long that I didn't realize that there was another section of the Café where we could discuss non-magical related issues. I look forward to the discussion here of whether the development of psychic powers is a result of atheistic evolution or depends on political party affiliation.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2014-01-31 08:22, Close.Up.Dave wrote:
Quote:

He is perfectly entitled to his opinion. His opinion is based on the scientific method, a method that requires a procedure to prove what is happening. That procedure can equally prove the existence of paranormal activity, just as much as it can disprove it.

Quote:

Well... duh! Why would someone be obligated to believe in something if they are yet to find any proof? Let alone any sort of EVIDENCE?

Quote:
In my opinion, this is foolish reasoning because absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence.

So we should all believe that aliens are shape-shifters that change into mail boxes when we aren't looking? And the reason we can't see them is because our brains can't find evidence that those mail boxes are actually aliens? Come on, that sort of cycle of logic is just silly.

As on the JREF website, Webster’s Online Dictionary defines “paranormal” as “not scientifically explainable; supernatural.”

All of the claims that have come to the JREF has been testable, and proven to have no evidence of paranormal activity. If there were claims that could prove something was not on this universe, then the evidence done by the tests would AT LEAST prove that we can't understand it.

That being said, to quote Arthur C. Clarke, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

The entire IDEA of "paranormal" is ridiculous (which is why it is, at its best, "entertainment"). Something not be explainable by science? Even IF something came from a different universe, or different dimension of some kind, it would still HAVE to have some sort of chemical and psychical mechanism to make it work. Meaning something can prove why that certain something exists, even if not by our own world's devices.

Meaning, if we were to find some person who could, let's say bend metal with their mind, we would produce tests to figure out WHY & HOW they could do it. It would be an abnormal feat by normal human standards because no human in history has had that ability outside of conjuring techniques. Therefore, it would prove why these abilities exist, and yet it would still be subject to the rigorous testing that people like Mr. Randi subject all paranormal claims to.

If these abilities exist, it would not be because they are "not of this world." It would be because they ARE of this world, and simply haven't been discovered or studied yet. No one has come forth with those sorts of testable abilities, nor with evidence or proof of their existence other than testimonials. And therefore, people should have no reason to ACTUALLY believe they exist. It's really not that difficult. If it can be defined, it can be rationalized, and then it will have to be subject to doubt. This is basics of philosophy, and also of science.

Quote:
On 2014-01-30 20:09, John Linden wrote:

Again, see above what I wrote. If they are paranormal abilities, they would still be subject to the basic physical laws of someone's universe (likely ours). Therefore, subject to the scientific tests known in our time. If they can't be proven with current methods, that still doesn't necessarily mean it is paranormal. Taken directly from the JREF website:

"Some claims are, unfortunately, untestable. For example, claiming that you are able to make someone feel happy by talking to them is untestable, because it is impossible to objectively gauge someone’s level of happiness, especially if they have been told that after talking to you they should feel happy.

If your claim is untestable, there is nothing that can be done to alter that status unless you find a new claim or negotiate a protocol in which the results are self-evident and objectively testable."

The JREF honestly makes it about as easy as it can get. And if you can't prove your claim using simple logic then you don't deserve the million dollars.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha... Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:

Respect,

granterg

Can you show any evidence that James Randi does not BELIEVE in the paranormal? For all we know, he actually does - depending on the definition of belief and paranormal that is.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I don't believe in James Randi. Lots of rumors, even pictures and vids. But I've never seen him, therefore…
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Well you can be certain of death and taxes, oh and obamacare lol
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
You are all wrong. The world revolves around me.
I have proof. My wife says it does, so it MUST be true.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On 2014-01-29 18:21, RCP wrote:
Power is of little use unless you are willing to abuse it.

...that's what I said to the judge just before the court injunction.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » James Randi is wrong (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL