The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Training (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
I have posted this new topic as the point about training has come up time and again on many different posts.

The following is an extract from a debate I took part in on another forum about a year and a half ago.

"I conducted a brief but interesting experiment a few weeks ago involving a posey high security straitjacket and a fellow body builder. This young lad is the same age as I am but about four sizes bigger, he finished 3rd in Mr. Britain a few years back.

Even with tutoring and on the spot advice, due to his size, lactic acid (cramp) built up in his enlarged muscle groups resulting in him being unable to escape from the security section of the jacket. I am not at his size yet, nor do I wish to be, I do however have a fairly good build and enough power to assist in escaping from the restraints.

To add another level to the escape I was asked by asked by a lady who is proficient at Judo and other forms of self defense to place her in the jacket, this was not as some may feel a flirtatious move as her boyfriend was with her and twice the size of the Mr. Britain contestant (I did not use him as he did not fit into the jacket!)

The young lady, who can bend double into yoga moves and reverse handsprings along with other moves that she will no doubt regret when she reaches her later years was soon in the jacket and began her escape. She was able to extract herself after some time. This was not due to her lack of strength (pound for pound she was the strongest in the gym) more down to the misplacement of her strength. Experience and time would teach her the inbuilt weaknesses of the jacket and also how to apply her own abilities.

This was a good way of finding out which areas of my workout could be used to improve my escapes in terms of effect and sustainability. After all if you have a 20 minute show and you are tired after 5 then you are going to be in trouble for the remaining 15."

Now I do not want to offend anyone or upset anybody but I thought it would be nice to try and debate this here and exchange ideas so that improvements and lessons can be learned.

That is my intention anyway.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
UMMMMM Looking at well known escapists Houdini, Alan Alan etc, etc they all seem to be of small biuld with the exception of people like Deval this seems to be the case. David Deval and I talked along these lines a few years back at the Blackpool Convention with no explanation as to the reasons why. Myself a 1st dan in Judo unpractised in the art since 1974 would not consider that any martial arts were beneficial in the escapology world other than giving a slight advantage where self control is required. Technique and knowledge to my mind over rule strength. Just as in martial arts skill and knowledge will beat wieght and strength. Personaly a huge bulky image escapeing from an upside down SJ would look kind of funny to me. I can only sum up with Devals words on this, whatever size you are,shape you are or look you are, providing you are in proportion to your biuld you should not try and improve what is already perfect, or don`t fix it till its broke syndrome.
To rehearse is important, I feel that mental rehearsal time has been the most productive for me. Re getting knackered in the first five minets, I think to be able to pace oneself working up to a veritable climax where the audience throw their underware on the stage is important. (Still working on this !)
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

I think I speak for everyone on the forum when I say, we are all looking for that kind of response from the audience...

I hope you did not mind me starting this discussion as I feel that there are a lot of misconceptions relating to escape artistry and by reviewing the experiences of all the interested people may allow some of the mistaken ideas to be cleared up.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Stuart, I know I mentioned something similar to this in another thread. I trained in martial arts, and found that other than helping me with cardio stuff, the "workout" was entirely different for performing escapes vs. breaking boards. Anyone who has done a straitjacket escape will tell you what muscles get used! Any type of suspended work will require good abs. Of course, I think most importantly is that cardio needs to be in good shape. After all, no one wants to fall over in a heart attack during an escape! I don't think targeting specific muscles is needed, but good overall health (both physical and mental) is the most important thing.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
sarat
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sarat
I am not a professional escape artist but have performed enough escapes to be able to give some input here.

I work out on a regular basis and in spite of basically having a small frame I am fairly musclar.

I won a body building competition 4 years ago but have limited my weight training since then. I wouldn't say my "extra muscles" hurt or helped during the period when I was in intense training.

I found my rope escape (and limited straight jacket escape) attempts to be very aerobic and help with my weight control.

I agree with Margarette, physical and mental health is important to an escape but as far as specific training for an escape I think aerobic endurance would be the most beneficial. Unless you are doing a 200 foot rope escape .. then acting is the most important attribute.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Thank you Margarette and Sarat for your kind comments.

The main reason I wanted to know is that when it comes to being ready to perform, not the acting part or the selling of escapes but the actual being ready to do some of the stressful stuff, no one has ever sat down and said what could be a good idea in the way of keeping yourself in trim (a problem I have right now after Christmas Dinner.)

I hope that, as long as the ideas and comments keep coming in, this topic helps.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
On a serious note. I am convinced that the mental attitude and mental rehearsal of any performance outway the physical and practical rehearsal / preparation.
Of course one should always look after the body, escapologist or not but the mental attitude is of most importance. If you feel good about yourself, confident in what you do, happy with the image you project then you can make the goals that you set yourself.Keep fit yes. Healthy mind makes for a healthy body. In escapology keeping ones cool at all times is of great importance, ask anyone who has faced failure during an underwater escape, being Mr Atlas will be of no use, keeping your cool and doing the job you have mentaly rehearsed thousands of times before should give you a better chance of survival.
Not everyone will agree with these statements, I base them on my own experiences over the past twenty years, take it or leave it.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I can agree with the mental attitude part. When I did my first suspended straitjacket, in preparation for it, I knew I was physically able to carry out the task, but my fear of heights almost called a halt to the entire thing. While I was preparing for this, I talked with the guy in charge of the equipment. He had done many suspended straitjackets in the theater (we were using his rigging). I asked him how he did it, and he just told me to tell myself that I can do it..no ifs ands or buts...I can do this. When my feet were being raised (still seated on the ground, though), I was thinking, "What the h*** am I doing?" I then kept telling myself, "I can do this" over and over, and when I got to the full height (about 20 ft.), I had no problem doing the escape. Only problem I had was pulling myself up. I had overdone the workout the day before, and my abs were sore, so I couldn't "right" myself. No big deal, though, Sean (not x-treem) said it happened to him on a few occasions.

I'm sure my next suspended straitjacket will be a real test of my mental attitude since the last suspended straitjacket I did ended up with me falling.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Smile
This is an interesting topic, and interesting to note how many EA’s are/were into martial arts. Like Kondini, I am (was?) also 1st Dan Judo but “retired” from the mat in 1978.(after 14 years enjoyment). Useful training in self confidence. I also agree with the comments made about “mental rehearsal”…vital!!

I wouldn’t usually be able to add much to a SJ thread, as my thing is cuffs and locks. But on the subject of training and tiredness… last year I had two engagements on “St. Patricks Day” – two evening engagements. The first had been booked well in advance, the second I didn’t want to refuse as the request came from a friend. I accepted both jobs. It happened I had a terrible head cold, and really just wanted to be home in bed! On arrival at job No. 2, I was already feeling pretty tired, but the show must go on, eh? It was a supper, maybe 60 – 70 people, informal seating around small tables etc. You know the kind of thing. I had been asked to perform a SJ escape, and I a 20 minute spot finished with this. Now, I have to tell you that I was using a gaffed SJ (DeVal) and mine can be examined, including the inside, sleeves etc (but that’s another story!). With some good acting the escape gets a good response – but that evening (with my bad head cold) the perspiration (I can’t spell ‘sweat’) was running down my face . . I could tell by the expressions that some were wondering if I was going to make it (?). The response was brilliant. (No underwear thrown, though)

The point?
Always use gaffed SJ’s ? No.
Always try to have a head cold? No
Try to arrive already tired? No

Read up Houdini’s escape from that safe at the Euston Palace.

Was it Edison who said 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration ?

The point? We have to make ‘em believe it.

Yours with another bad cold,

AH CHOOOOO . . . .

Riley
:wavey:
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
...geez! Maybe I should join the crowd and start going to the gym. Who am I kidding! I get my workouts doing the "12 oz. curl"! There ain't nuthin' like some liquid bread to start off the morning!
:goof:

Jlareau

P.S. I too have had some experience with martial arts [Tae Kwon Do & Hapkido] for those who are keeping tabs on EA statistics.
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

I'm the exception, I once raced Karts (Go-Karts that could do between about 50Mph) so remind me not to upset anyone on here ok.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Training (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL