We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Gene Gordon Effects and Products (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I have quite a number of Gene Gordon's effects and products from the 50's and 60's. Here are just a few that some may remember:

Gene Gordon's Golliwog (a hands-off Glorpy routine)
Dizzy Dollar (magician continually miscounts the number of bills)
Wishing Wheel (I would guess a precurser to split-o 5 cents, etc.)
Shortchange manuscript and gimmick (as described in Bobo).

Products include: Senator Montgomery Crow's "The Russian Bumb" (obviously dates itself in terms of the social statement made with this one)
Jack Bateman's "Rub-A-Dub-Dub" Cup and Ball routine

"Bolt of Lightning" by Finn Hauger of Oslo, Norway. On this one, a bolt and nut automatically unscrew as the participant dumps them from a small cup onto the table top. I still do this one today, but I add a little mind power as I tell the helper not to dump the bolt and nut onto the table until I have energized the area.

They will know it is energized when they begin to feel their fingers tingle. When they "feel the energy" they do the dump and the psychokenesis happens.
Nicholas
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
The little magic shop that I operated in my home in Fayetteville, NY was honored many times by a visit from Gene Gordon

He had retired from operating his own shop and was no longer actively involved in distributing the products that he previously wholesaled to other dealers, but he still performed occasionally and remained very interested in magic.

I recall on one occasion when I showed Gene a Japanese rope trick that very closely resembled his famous, "Professor's Nightmare," he said--only half in jest--that he wished he had a dollar for every pirated version of that effect that had been sold.

Gene was also the original marketer of a trick that still fools 'em every time--the Hen Fetch classic, Mental Epic. Alas, it, too, has been much copied and now appears even in a close-up, toy-like version.

One of the last times that I saw Gene was when he visited Fayetteville in the company of his old pal, Buffalo Bob Smith. They had known each other many years earlier when Bob was a radio personality in Buffalo and Gene was actively performing.

During the mid 70's, Buffalo Bob briefly reprised his old Howdy Doody shtick and brought his show to various shopping malls, including one where I lived. Both Bob and Gene were very personable, friendly gentlemen--and real assets to show biz.

Although Gene is, of course, best known for his founding role in the IBM, he very proudly showed me his membership card in the SAM. It bore the signature of the President of the SAM at the time of Gene's admission--some guy named Harry Houdini.
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Ed,
Thanks for the addition to this thread. I am surprised to hear that Gene and Buffalo Bob knew each other (I also didn't realize that Buffalo Bob lived in Buffalo). Gene made quite a contribution to the art. Thanks again!
Nicholas
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7544 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Gene was great performer with kid shows for real people. He taught many guys their first stuff. guys like Ron Conley, Rob Allen, Buddy Farnum to name a couple.

Karl Norman (still kicking butt at 85 and working the IBM this year) worked a lot of Gene and bought all the rights to Gene's effects. He sold them to Phil Wilmarth and Rick Johnson. His Fraiddy Cat Rabbit is still the best.

His book a "Magical Legacy" is good but Gene always said if he wrote the real book on magic; it would put the National Inquirer our of business.

He had a great story about working a vent figure going through customs into Canada with a loaded pistol inside the head. What a treasure.

When my ex wife joined the iBM, I had Gene (#2) and Harry Blackstone Jr. sign her application. That even got a remark back from headquarters about who had signed it. I wish they had signed mine!!!
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Mr. Gordon scared the padoozie out of me when I was a kid writing a column for the International Club of Magic's periodical and had, he thought, offered to explain the workings of Bolt of Lightning to any member who would write me. Although we cleared up his misunderstanding the intent of my comment, I still have and treasure his initial letter with the line, "No doubt you have the hopes of rising in magic but you won't get far when your name is put on the MDA black list ." To this day, I don't know what that threat entailed but then, I never rose in magic either.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Promagia
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Promagia
I have an old trick of him in my collection. It is called: Geni Eye
DrDLH
View Profile
New user
Syracuse, NY
5 Posts

Profile of DrDLH
In the 50's several of the Ithaca group would plan a trip to Gene Gordon's Buffalo shop a couple of times a year. It was always a great day and in hindsight usually more profitable for us than for Gene. But he always was generous with his time and coaching. Great guy! I recently came across a neat little trick of Gene's. But alas, I find no instructions or routine. It's a trick with two small black lucite sticks on which a diamond appears, disappears, doubles and turns into a ruby. As Gene did it and taught it, the trick surpasses Hot Rod in it's ever-changing apparitions. Can anyone shed light on this little trick? I'd love to recapture the routine Gene provided with this little gem.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7544 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am sure that Karl Norman would no the routine. He is not on line but lives in Kenmore, NY.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3737 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2011-02-23 21:47, DrDLH wrote:
In the 50's several of the Ithaca group would plan a trip to Gene Gordon's Buffalo shop a couple of times a year. It was always a great day and in hindsight usually more profitable for us than for Gene. But he always was generous with his time and coaching. Great guy! I recently came across a neat little trick of Gene's. But alas, I find no instructions or routine. It's a trick with two small black lucite sticks on which a diamond appears, disappears, doubles and turns into a ruby. As Gene did it and taught it, the trick surpasses Hot Rod in it's ever-changing apparitions. Can anyone shed light on this little trick? I'd love to recapture the routine Gene provided with this little gem.

This sounds like Ken Allen's JUMPING GEMS.

Julie
DrDLH
View Profile
New user
Syracuse, NY
5 Posts

Profile of DrDLH
Right You Are ! Thanks Julie.
I didn't have a name for it and learned/bought it from Gene Gordon. As I recall -- and I'm going back more than 50 years --Gene had a routine quite unlike what I now find on YouTube.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3737 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello DrDLH

If you can locate a copy of the book Gene Gordon's MAGICAL LEGACY (great book!) published by David Ginn you will find his routine for Jumping Gems there.

Julie
DrDLH
View Profile
New user
Syracuse, NY
5 Posts

Profile of DrDLH
Thanks again! I'm off to see if I can find the book. I have fond memories of Gene and am sure I'll enjoy every bit of the book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Gene Gordon Effects and Products (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL