The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Are you worried about having your bag stolen? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I have this fear of having my magic bag stolen.

I once received an email from a magician offering a substantial reward for his traveling bag that was stolen while he was at a gig.
I felt bad for him and have taken precautions to minimize the chance of that happening to me.

I used to keep my magic in a laptop bag with loads of pockets.
I then thought, well, this is an excellent target for a thief, thinking he's getting a free laptop.

I bought a used nondescript bag at a thrift shop.
It suits me better than the laptop bag. More pockets and compartments. Better organization enables me to locate tricks quicker.
And it doesn't look like there may be anything valuable in it.

Is anyone else concerned with losing their bag or case besides myself?
Ihor
spcarlson
View Profile
Veteran user
Minneapolis MN
369 Posts

Profile of spcarlson
Yes, I hear you it is a concern!

It seems that nondescript is always the best direction. Thieves have an eye for value. When traveling I often wondered if carrying my equipment in a diaper bag would be the best solution ;o)

I actually use a rather plain leather bag but it never leaves my hand nor goes out of my sight, 35 years and no problems so far.
Legendary Creations

from Merlin to Marilyn

www.MagicalArtCreations.com

www.StevenPaulCarlson.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
When I was working, I had a complete duplicate of my show, (one case) packed and ready. If I had somehow lost the props, I could call "home" and have the #2 show sent. I might miss a day, but not the whole tour.

Roadies, wnen grabbing a quick lunch (McD's, Wendy's etc) always sit by a window so they can see their vehicle. After eating in a restaurant (with 'NO' WINDOWS), in Salt Lake City,Utah, I emerged to hear the alarm on my motorhome sounding. I SAW two men running and climbing over a fence. They had not entered the vehicle. The alarm had "paid for" its installation cost.

Of course, with a bit of skill, knowledge and experience, a guy could visit a WalMart of KMart and/or a thrift shop, and find enough stuff to do a creditable show.

I never had "MAGICIAN" painted on my vehicle!!! Jeff WAWRZASZEK DID, for his first school tour. I bet him a milkshake that he would have it 'OFF' within a week! (I enjoyed the milkshake!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I'm right there with you on this one, in fact I have a posting in another area looking for an item I used regularly that "disappeared" at a show. Quarterstick isn't available anymore so if I can find any replacements I have to drop the routine...
I also had the displeasure of having several illusions after a show come up missing knobs (I assume someone wanted a souvenir).
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I remember a thread less than a couple years ago where that very thing happened. His bag was stolen from a coatroom and I believe it was a laptop type bag. When I table hopped years ago I used a large Joe Leflar close-up case that folded out to a rolling podium so I always had my stuff with me not to mention my own performing surface. The table was costly but convenient and less costly than replacing all my stuff.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 07:32, Dick Oslund wrote:
I never had "MAGICIAN" painted on my vehicle!!! Jeff WAWRZASZEK DID, for his first school tour. I bet him a milkshake that he would have it 'OFF' within a week! (I enjoyed the milkshake!)

I remember that story Dick and also why Jeff removed it.

Any guesses guys?
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
I remember that story Dick and also why Jeff removed it.

Any guesses guys?
[/quote]
Here's my guess. He was in an auto accident and the other guy said " He came out of nowhere !" ;0)
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
WRONG!!!!!!!

(Now you'll have to come back tomorrow to find out--unless someone else knows! (Quentin?)

First prize: 30 foot piece of bl*ck thr**d used only once by Harry Bouton Jr. for the D*nc*ng H*ndk*rch**f.

Second prize: 2 doz. sheets of fl*sh p*p*r, used only once.

Third prize: 1 broken wand and 2 broken fan.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I'm saying nothing Dick, it's your story.
BTW, how is Jeff these days?
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
I too have the same fear. that's the reason during walk arounds I set everything I need in my pockets, put my briefcase safely in my vehicle & start the gig. In case it is a corporate gig were I could need to perform a parlour show in the middle of walk around I simply carry my briefcase with me Smile Best Regards, Raj.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
Because people would bug him to "do a trick"?
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Dick hasn't been back, so I hope he is OK.

Brody has the right answer. Wherever Jeff parked, kids would keep coming up and asking to see tricks. If you are in a car that isn't really a problem but if you are living and travelling in a motor home, it is.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I've been off line for a week!!!I had a computer WIFI problem. It'a fixed! (Now,I'm back!)

Yup! If I remember correctly, I told him, but I guess it didn't register. It was CHOCOLATE!

Hey Quentin! How in the world did you find out??? Hee hee~
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Glad you're back Dick. Either you told me the story when I met you in 1980 or your wrote it up somewhere. Kid Stuff 5 possibly?
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
I always remember this one news article I saw where the headline read "Briefcase with magic equipment, 2 semi automatic handguns and ammunition stolen from Chicago home"

I always keep hold of my magic case- it's a battered leather suitcase with an extremely worn out close up pad duct taped to the top so most people wouldn't go for it but... Just in case.
No pun intended.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Mine is a leather bag that I tooled and built for the purpose of carrying my magic around. It is 1' in diameter and 3' long with nine dragons that are tooled, painted and gilded. Someone would have a hard enough time trying to carry it out (fully loaded it can weigh as much as 80 lbs.). The look of the bag tends to make it get noticed, so anyone other than me carrying it tends to attract attention as well. I have entered it into several artistic competitions, so my work is like a large signature, all over the bag.

Be distinct and your magical apparatus is better protected.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well Malaki! I would not care to schlepp THAT prop case!

When I was working, my prop case (45-60 minutes) weighed (including waiters' tray stand) 23 lbs.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
After reading some of the horror stories of stuff being stolen, I'm simultaneously relieved and disappointed that no one seems to want any of my junk.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Of course that extreme weight is achieved when I am packed for a weekend, holding clothing, shoes, etc. the bag holds close to an hour of magic. Packed for a simple show, the bag weighs in at about 25-35 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I keep a close eye on the bag. There are just a couple of hundred hours worth of work invested in it. I also have built a framework of walnut - that keeps the bag rigid, and a sliding tray for smaller items.

Attached is a shot of the bag when closed. Hopefully you will be able to see it well enough, it is just under size requirements for the site.

Click here to view attached image.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Sorry the image is so small. If you PM me I will be happy to send a larger sized to you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Are you worried about having your bag stolen? (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL