The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Are you worried about having your bag stolen? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
There are many small things now that will alarm you on cell phone or just loud that you can attache to your bag. If it's moved or picked up it make noise and send you alert. Check Amazon for them.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Hide a tracking chip in the lining of your bag. They're rather cheap, now, and the police can locate the thieves, and the bag.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Alan,
You're right on.
Those tracking chips are quite cheap now.
That's a good solution.
Ihor
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2017, Alan Munro wrote:
Hide a tracking chip in the lining of your bag. They're rather cheap, now, and the police can locate the thieves, and the bag.

Great to get your bag back after it's stolen but what I said will let you stop your bag from being stolen in the first place.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
There are many small things now that will alarm you on cell phone or just loud that you can attache to your bag. If it's moved or picked up it make noise and send you alert. Check Amazon for them.

I used an alarm system on my luggage about 30 years ago when I did wedding videos. Sometimes thieves would take your case when you are standing right next to it.
I ended up hardly using it because every time I put the case down I had to activate the motion sensor alarm. This was done with a combination code. So if I had to get my wallet or money or anything at all, I had to put in a combination code and put down the case and then again to deactivate it. If I'm working and have to get something out of my case in a hurry, I have to deactivate the alarm first, get what I need and then activate it again.
I checked Amazon as you suggested but I couldn't find anything that is practical.
Would you let me know which alarm you had in mind? I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Ihor
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:

Amusingly enough, I have seriously thought of rigging the bag so that when it is opened, the interior light will come on along with an angelic WAV file of "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

That app might just do the trick!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I accidentally dropped in on this thread, just now. After reading it from the beginning, I realized that I had never explained why I never had a problem. Like the old sidewalk pitchman, I had all the props in my case, and, I worked out of the case. I used a waiter's tray stand. I put the case on top, flashed the lid with a "sparkle cloth" cover, opened the lid, and, when I was introduced, I picked up a silk from the case, and started the show. When I finished the trick, the silk was replaced in it's place in the case, and, the next prop was brought out. A bit of planning was involved, but, it made performing much easier. When I finished, I put the flash cloth on top of the props, closed the lid, and hit the road! At the next spot, I opened the case in the motor home, stuffed a silk in a gimmick, set the 20th Century Silks, adjusted the spots on the "spot card", set the knot on Ovette's Repeat Knots, and, set the 1-2-1 rope. In less than two minutes, I could go into the school. When I was doing the doves, it took thirty seconds more, to load the doves. (They "gave" me 8 minutes of show time!

Most of the tricks needed sleight of hand, but, it was not a "watch how clever I am" show. Lots of comedy, and flash, kept the show moving. Because of the quick "in and out", I could easily do four shows a day, and, travel, possibly 60 -75 miles, too.

I was in $how bu$ine$$! (K Mart $how bu$ine$$)

I had the fun of mentoring Al Ullman, Jody Baran, Andy Portala, Jeff Bibik, Jeff Helding, Norm Barnhart, Jeff Wawrzaskek, and, even an old timer, Jerry Conklin. They all are/were successful, working professionals. I'm sure that I've left out a few names! Oh! Denny Loomis, too.

After Jon Racherbaumer kvetched me, I wrote a 400 page book about it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In my "early days" on the road, before I bought my first RV, I used a station wagon (because I already had it!)

I NEVER left my prop case in the car, overnight! It ALWAYS was brought into the motel! Not only was it safe from "car burglary", I could, when necessary, clean out the case of "debris" like torn napkins, small scraps of rope, press a silk or two, etc.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
servant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
101 Posts

Profile of servant
Quote:

I'll just leave this here in case anyone finds it useful.
https://www.amazon.com/Tile-Mate-Finder-......1L3VEC94
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2014, Dick Oslund wrote:
I never had "MAGICIAN" painted on my vehicle!!! Jeff WAWRZASZEK DID, for his first school tour. I bet him a milkshake that he would have it 'OFF' within a week! (I enjoyed the milkshake!)

I had a couple of signs on my car, decades ago, but one sign was stolen and the other attracted a vandal who punched a hole in my windshield. Never again!
crispy1970
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of crispy1970
I had my company car stolen whilst at a magic meet-up once. I thought it was a prank by the guys to start with, aka "the disappearing car".

Unfortunately, it had my close-up bag in it. It did lead to some interesting conversations with the insurance company
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Had, Magic and phone # on our Car, UNTIL Some pervert called and *@$#%^&$ when my Wife answered. OFF, THE PHONE NUMBER WENT.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
When I was parked down town A few years ago Some onw broke A wing Out of my window To get my Bag ! Don't put in the front Of your Car ! Smile !
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Even in a club performing you have to be careful. Some guy had an expensive memory metal spoon. $700.00 or so I was told. When cooled, it is straight but when warmed from you hand it bends. So the guy set it down and did other tricks and someone just walked off with it. Probably didn't even know to put it in the freezer. I'd put stuff like my wallet in the trunk of the car. I didn't want it on me during the show. Enough stuff to keep track of in all the combined pockets. Crazy world. A friend was supposed to take a urine sample to the doctor so he put it in a cleaned out wine bottle. On the way to the doctor's he stopped in a 7/11 to get cigarettes or something and someone stole the wine!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
A friend was supposed to take a urine sample to the doctor so he put it in a cleaned out wine bottle. On the way to the doctor's he stopped in a 7/11 to get cigarettes or something and someone stole the wine!

Some are cleptomaniacs and will steal for no logical reason. The fact that the bottle had been opened previously would be enough to stop most thieves.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2017, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:

Great to get your bag back after it's stolen but what I said will let you stop your bag from being stolen in the first place.

I'm not going to chase down a thief. Many will run and you'll never see your stuff again.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2021, Russo wrote:
Had, Magic and phone # on our Car, UNTIL Some pervert called and *@$#%^&$ when my Wife answered. OFF, THE PHONE NUMBER WENT.

Now there is Google voice or Text/Call apps with a free/cheap additional number. Problem solved (In this instance) for those that want to have a number on their vehicle again.

Quote:
On Nov 5, 2021, Alan Munro wrote:
Some are cleptomaniacs and will steal for no logical reason. The fact that the bottle had been opened previously would be enough to stop most thieves.

Wouldn't stop them anymore in areas with meth addicts. They will take anything and everything that isn't bolted down.

--------------------------------------------------------
Inside a gig-
Utilize a locking bag/case with a cable lock that goes through the handle and lock it to a chair. Bring an extra jacket that is cheap and unattractive. (Thrift store)
Hang the case off the back of the chair and cover it with the jacket or set the case on the seat and cover. If the chair doesn't have a space between the seat/back and the frame to run the cable through; Loop/wrap the cable around the two rear legs. If possible place the chair away from heavy foot traffic. Never had an issue.

Cable and luggage locks- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cable+lock+lu......b_noss_1
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
I just read thru this thread and did not see this tip, but even if it has been mentioned before, it is well worth repeating, to wit:

Some would find an old-fashioned, top-opening doctor's medical bag perfect for magic use with its copious storage space and easy access to multiple sections, levels and compartment sizes. However...

>>> NEVER USE ONE, AS IT WILL ATTRACT THIEVES WHO WILL THINK IT CONTAINS DRUGS! <<<

'Nuff said.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
I keep my case in the trunk. Never leave anything laying in the seats!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Are you worried about having your bag stolen? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL