The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Is a promo video necessary? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Since you asked...the first few things that immediately come to mind is everything is about you, little or nothing for the prospective client. No benefits for them. Your references are likely too obsolete for general laypersons (Thurston, Henning), and also it soundsl ike you are in a bathroom or shower talking. It seems homemade with a on-camcorder mic. If you are going to have narration to talking direct to camera, have a direct audio feed from a mic.

Do you have any actual performance footage rather than the staged for camera trick?
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
"also it sounds like you are in a bathroom or shower talking" You mean the sound quality is bad? Which part? I'm definitely not in a bathroom or shower; I'm in a basement.

It is homemade, not professional.

I don't have an actual performance footage that I would want to use.

Can you give an example of a good video that gives benefits for the potential client?

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 12:32 pm I just watched it again. Now I understand why you said it sounds like I'm in the bathroom or shower talking. I never noticed this before
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
It used to be the case that if you wanted to work for a producer you would have to go to an audition. For example, at their seasonal cattle call auditions heme park entertainment directors would see everything from magicians, to clowns, to singer dancer kids for musical reviews. With the advent of video, that changed. Theme parks still audition performers for musical reviews, but the discourage variety acts from showing up. If a producer wants a video and you want the work then you have to have a video to be considered.
Regarding posting videos, particularly videos of your whole show for birthday parties, I heard of somebody several years ago who did this and directed hostesses to his web page and then found out that some of his potential customers were downloading the video and showing it at the party. If you want to advertise for BD parties just show a few clips, no whole routines, and a lot of good audience reactions.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
That is quite tacky, showing a video of a magician at a party instead of inviting a magician.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
It is the exception, not the norm, that a parent would think that a video of a magician is the same thing as hiring a live, interactive magician. If that were true, all parents would just watch a DVD (of any sort), for their child's birthday (or other events), instead of hiring live entertainment.

So, don't worry about it!!!!!!

I've been to a holiday party where the customer was showing a video of me performing at their party the year before (so, it was a repeat customer). Barely anyone was watching the video (my opinion was that it wasn't the right environment to show a video), but when I started the live show, they watched it.

Having said that, I think you can put a complete routine on your website, if you also have a promotional video. Not necessarily the whole show, but one routine from your show.

I have a promotional video on my website that is standard... short, with clips from many different shows (showing highlights of many different routines), showing that I'm good and that the audience is having fun.

I also have a different video of me performing a whole routine. It's not in a birthday environment, but it is one of my kids show routines.

I've had customers who said that they and their child watched both of the videos on my website, and want me to come to their party. (Sometimes, it's just the parent who watches the videos and makes the decision, sometimes it's both the parent and the child who watch the videos and are involved in the decision.) Some even specifically requested that I do the same routine that was shown in the video.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Mindpro, also I don't understand why you said, "everything is about you, little or nothing for the prospective client. No benefits for them."

It seems to me that the benefit to the prospective client is they get a magician who does classical magic. What am I missing?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2014, Caféinst wrote:
That is quite tacky, showing a video of a magician at a party instead of inviting a magician.

I never had any objection to being taped, BUT (anecdotal evidence) I once bought a commercial VHS video of a video of a magician doing an "interactive birthday show" and also there was at least one phonograph record of something similar (see my podcast episode showing/excerpting that record at http://ballycast.com/?p=1199 )
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Caféinst, I seem to be on all flights today without Internet service. I will answer your questions later today. I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring your questions.

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 10:34 pm Caféinst, what I mean was your video is focused on you..."Hello I'M...", "What Makes MY...", "In MY magic show, all MY illusions are...", "...illusions I perform in MY show..", "..invite ME and I'LL perform...".

First because you are speaking in first person this automatically always puts emphasis on YOU. But it is still possible to reframe it to be about THEM.

For example: "YOUR guests will enjoy...", "If YOU'RE look for...", "YOUR child will be the star of the show...", YOU'LL hear rave reviews when YOU book...", "Want to be sure YOUR entertainment is the life of the party...", "Everyone will...", YOU can relax with confidence when YOU know that YOU and YOUR Guests will enjoy...", etc

Focus it on and towards them. You can still get your points across, but work from the interests, perspectives and benefits of them and what they'll receive, what they'll feel, and what their guests will experience, etc.

This can be done in many ways - through narrative or direct to camera, through titles or graphics, through text graphics testimonials, through live video testimonials, through copies of reviews as stated by others, etc.

This is something that many entertainers tend to do so it's not just you by any means. We feel that were telling them about ourselves, when what really should be done is telling them about yourself through benefits and how it pertains to them.

I'll try to PM you some links to give you some ideas and better demonstrate what I referring to.
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Mindpro, that makes sense logically. But I am still very puzzled. In the video, the personality that I convey is the personality that I convey in my show. I thought the video is supposed to be giving the prospective clients a sample of my product, which I did, a sample of how I perform magic.

In my show, it is all about me and my tricks. My shows involve audience participation, but the show is not about them. It is about the magic and me, the magician. All magic shows are like this. Yet you are telling me that my promo video should be about them, not me. But if I do this, then I am not giving them a true sample of my product.

Can you please solve my dilemma, if you can?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Sure. A demo video is a marketing too, a form of advertising your services to potential customers. Marketing and advertising should be directed to the buyer (customer) or target market. Like any form of advertising trying to reach the target, you must sell in a way that is most appealing to them. What is important to them, what excites them of grabs them emotionally, etc.

Saying you do old tricks by Henning and Thurston will not excite most people. Most won't even know what that is or know they are the "classics". Saying your tricks are classic or 400 years old, won't excite people or be a reason to purchase your services. To be honest I didn't at first glance even get your implied meaning of "classic". I thought you were referring to classical music, buy the original tone, classic intro and music. Not until later was it understood that it was "classics" of magic.

Your demo is quite biographical rather than an offering. If that's what you wanted, then fine. But you asked for opinions and these were my first thoughts.

Also regarding "show your personality" in your video, you may have a different interpretation than myself. To me this should mean seeing your performance personality as how you are in performance from the stage, interacting with your audience as a whole, one on one with a kid or adult, your tone of the performances (comedy, mysterious, serious, bumbling, etc.). The best way to show this is through actual performance footage.

If I received your demo at my office, my immediate thoughts would be this is a beginner or someone that hasn't performed much or had any real performance footage. That's all I've been trying to say. Perception of the target buyer is everything. Some times a demo can actually work against you (not you but any performer in general) if it is perceived differently than expected or intended.

I'm from the school that a video should tell a story, appeal directly to the target and their top three interest, concerns or benefits. It should sum you up completely. When I work with my coaching students I actually teach them to storyboard their demo first - who is your prime intended target audience, what message are you trying to get across to the target, what tone are you seeking that best represents you, what are their top three needs, interests or concerns, how can you directly address them, what are your unique selling or offering features that separate and position you apart from others that are your competition or who they may be considering, what direct benefits do you offer them?....then setup and create the intro, the ending and each component you want in between. Also decide on format - narrative demo (first or third person, you or an announcer), titles and graphics, clips, testimonials, etc.

If you don't have show footage, then once your storyboard is complete you know exactly what footage you need or should work on getting.

I'm not even sure who you are targeting with the demo? Birthday parties, fests, daycares, adults? It didn't seem clear to me unless I just missed it.

It all comes down to effectiveness. Like web sites, many think just having them is enough or all you need. A demo is the same way. It must be effected and created properly to execute its intended purpose to the intended target.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
671 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Caféinst,

There's a lot of excellent information in Mindpro's last two posts.
True value, and definitely worth studying.

Best,

Lou Serrano
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
Thank you all for your help! I just put up a promo video on youtube, soon to go on my website.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYNz9rvqiXI

I'm curious what you think.

Like I mentioned previously in the thread, you're starting a project and journey that will take you time to perfect.

The last 5 seconds of the video was the only portion I see as worth keeping since it is the only portion of the video that tells the buyer what they get out of your show (extra special event).

The trick technically looked good for the camera, but since magic is about the experience we create for other people, it may be best to do one that involves another person, particularly if they are someone in your target market. Basically, if you want to convince a birthday party mom to hire you, show a trick that involves a child.

Personally, I would recommend losing the hat for several reasons, but particularly for the video as it is creating unnecessary shadows on your face. If you need a decent lighting and backdrop kit, you can get one cheaply on amazon.

The thing I did like about your video is that it was short and sweet. It aimed to get to the point without deviating. You're in a position where the structure is simple enough to work in your benefit, and now you can perfect this version of it. Tighten up the script, choose a trick that captures the experience you create for others, and bring it on home with a call to action (saying they should call now).

Since this thread started just a short while ago, you've already shot a version and asked for feedback. That's more than most are willing to do, so I commend you on that as well.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
In my show, it is all about me and my tricks. My shows involve audience participation, but the show is not about them. It is about the magic and me, the magician. All magic shows are like this.

I apologize for jumping in here with a different thought - but it may be something Caféinst could think about.

Not all magic shows are like you described. It took me a long time to understand that concept too. For any real success on-stage, MY show had to be about the audience and as Close.Up.Dave said, the experience we create for other people, the audience.

Think about the last time you were trapped in a one-sided conversation about someone else and you just didn't care. Couldn't wait for it to end, huh? The more you do to make the experience of your show unique and about your time with that audience, the better your results and the easier it will be to get work.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Thank you all for your feedback! I need to think about it all and digest it. I am now at the stage where I have a big question mark in my mind. It reminds me of when I was learning how to write a composition in high school. I thought to myself that this is silly and stupid, as I already know how to write. My teacher was criticizing everything I wrote, yet all of my grammar and spelling was correct. I thought my English teacher was just being picky, as I had already learned how to write in 2nd grade. Then as I got older, I learned that there really is a good way to write and a bad way to write; it's not just about correct grammar or spelling.

Similarly, with magic videos, you guys are trying to point out to me that the way my video is structured is not so great, but I'm sort of thinking to myself just like when I was in high school that this is silly and stupid; I am showing my audience what I do and do it. If they like what they see in the video, my personality and my magic, they'll call me. The difference between me now and me in high school is that now I realize how much I don't know. In high school, I thought I knew everything. That's why I need to think about what you are saying more.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Caféinst, I agree that the show is yours and it is about you. You are the one they come to see, you are a star. The audience wants you to be great.

But and this is a big BUT, the video is not for the audience. It's for the person paying you to do the show and that person is thinking more about his money than he is your show. Truth is, he may not even watch the show that day.

As others have said, the video should tell a story. Simply put, it should be a sales pitch that explains why they need the show. You can't assume that they are already sold on hiring you when they watch the video. The purpose of the video is to sell and selling is more than just showing what you have.

I have always said, a video probably hurts more magicians than it helps. Very few of us are as good as we think we are. Smile Even fewer are good at producing, editing, etc, a video. Making a good video is very hard to do.

In the beginning, the average magician should probably forget the video and just let people compare you using their imagination. Seriously, that's not false advertising, it's not cheating anybody, or anything like that, it's simply good ole marketing.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it,

Tom

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 11:15 am Wanted to add: You will have plenty of time during the show to sell your show. For now, you wanting to persuade them to hire you. You selling an opportunity. An opportunity for them to have a great time. It really is more about them than it is you.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom hits on the dilemma. It is not for the audience, it is for the person writing the check. Good point Tom.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
Perhaps the solution to my dilemma is to make another video that targets the person writing the check, not my audience. So this video should be a secondary video, not my main video?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2014, Caféinst wrote:
Perhaps the solution to my dilemma is to make another video that targets the person writing the check, not my audience. So this video should be a secondary video, not my main video?

That's what a promo video is supposed to do: promote your show as the solution to their entertainment needs.

If you do a video of a trick that involves another person, and it turns out well, that will speak much louder than a promo video with a pitch that needs work.

A video of good magic and a promo video are two different things. A promo video should feature how your work fits the need. But a video of a solid trick can at least help someone draw their own conclusion while you figure out how you want your promo to be laid out.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Craig (cafeinst) -

If you'd like to see samples of other magicians' promotional videos, take a look at some that are on this thread. It's a pinned thread from The Little Darlings area of the Magic Café (currently 7 pages long).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I thought of that too but there's some poor examples among them that I hope didn't derail his thoughts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Is a promo video necessary? (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL