We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Truth about the TSA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I bet this is pretty much what we all suspected anyway. My guess is that disgust with the TSA is pretty much non partisan although I'd be interested if someone disagrees with that.

I guess the thing that may NOT be non-partisan is my view that this pretty much exemplifies the problems with government bureaucracy.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2......6bhBdV8E

His original blog while working as a TSA employee.

http://takingsenseaway.wordpress.com/
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
IMO, it exemplifies the problems and foolishness of paying cheap wages to people who do an important job. A decade to get a collective bargaining agreement and then violating the key terms. But the union busters will have their way.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/06......act.html

But then it's all theatre anyway. Hire out of work actors. They'd do much better.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
"I hated it from the beginning. It was a job that had me patting down the crotches of children, the elderly and even infants as part of the post-9/11 airport security show. I confiscated jars of homemade apple butter on the pretense that they could pose threats to national security. I was even required to confiscate nail clippers from airline pilots—the implied logic being that pilots could use the nail clippers to hijack the very planes they were flying."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2......sBnP8Ldl

The new normal.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 12:40, landmark wrote:
IMO, it exemplifies the problems and foolishness of paying cheap wages to people who do an important job. A decade to get a collective bargaining agreement and then violating the key terms. But the union busters will have their way.

Well that seems a bit of a stretch. Almost everything in his article relates to problems with decisions coming down from above, not from the quality of the workers. Unless you're claiming that upper management isn't getting paid enough.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is an oil crisis, food and water shortages and like, coming soon. So the authorities are expecting unrest and thus have to train the people to obey the Pear Shaped Creatures in uniforms crazy orders. Also the Pear Shaped Creatures in uniforms themselves, have to be trained to give the crazy orders. That's what it's about. We can't be having any disorder when this all happens old boy.

“At his trial in 1961, Eichmann expressed surprise at being hated by Jewish people, saying that he had merely obeyed orders, and surely obeying orders could only be a good thing. In his jail diary Eichmann wrote 'The orders were, for me, the highest thing in my life and I had to obey them without question' (extract quoted in The Guardian, 12 August, 1999, p. 13).”

http://www.simplypsychology.org/obedience.html
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 17:13, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-02 12:40, landmark wrote:

Well that seems a bit of a stretch. Almost everything in his article relates to problems with decisions coming down from above, not from the quality of the workers. Unless you're claiming that upper management isn't getting paid enough.

Of course the problem is from above. I never said otherwise. And one of the main problems from above is that they don't think enough of their workers to pay them well. As the article said, workers were treated badly and morale was extremely low.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Nice sidestep. To say, "it exemplifies the problems and foolishness of paying cheap wages to people who do an important job", is to imply that you get what you pay for and that the poorly paid workers are causing the problems. While morale was low, that has little if anything to do with the waste of money on equipment that doesn't do the job, the rules that require agents to humiliate passengers and children, and the basic lack of anything that is actually effective in doing the job they are tasked with.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Rockwall, I am not disagreeing with you on the waste of money on equipment, the rules to humiliate passengers, nor the lack of effective resources. The TSA was totally political response initiated by the last President to a false political need. What I am indicating is:

1) the same disrespect shown to workers is the disrespect shown to the public at large. That is the mentality of the union bashers.
2) by paying low wages and setting poor working conditions you put workers in a powerless position where they are afraid to speak up about the abuses that they have seen.
3) When you treat workers poorly, it is inevitable in a situation with bad morale that the culture of disrespect will be passed down. Some of the workers will treat the rest of the public poorly. While that particular issue was not addressed as much in the articles you posted, that has been at least some of the complaint in both the conservative and liberal press about the TSA.

3a) Working people are part of the public.
3b) Working people should be treated with respect.
3c) Working people generally know much more about their jobs than upper management and need real input into decisions that affect them.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
1) hardly

2) actually, I could argue that by paying high wages you put workers in a position where they are afraid to speak up about the abuses that they have seen. After all, you wouldn't want to lose that cushy job, would you? Pay them low wages and the job is much less important. They can find another. (I'm not arguing that that's a good reason to pay low wages, just arguing the logic you're using.)

3) Paying someone less than you think is appropriate, doesn't translate to treating them poorly. No where in the article does the author mention low pay as a reason for poor morale. He gives many other reasons for it though.

3b) I've been a working person for my entire life. I was in a union for 4 years. I never felt that I was treated with more respect when I was in a union.

So, I'm glad you agree with me about the problems with the TSA outlined in the article. It's unfortunate that you wanted to make this about unions when there is nothing in the article to point to that being part of the problem.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5044 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yes, nothing in the article pointing to the lack of good unions as part of the problem. That''s why I commented.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
And yet, you also don't provide any evidence as to your theory.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
The regime in every country is different and every prisoner has different criteria regarding regimes suitable to their progress. Regimes change and although we are constantly updating the information we will appreciate any comments or corrections which allow us to provide the very latest information. You can contact us via your government.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Truth about the TSA (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL