The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oh, woe is me, T' have seen what I have seen, see what I see! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
... and that proves my theory ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
That he is good at self promotion? Does that surprise you? That is the difference between dylan and every other folkie from the 60' s. And why they are unknown today and everyone recognized Dylan without being told who he was.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I thought the acting was horrible. I thought he looked like a fool. I could only keep thinking, "does he really need the money that badly?" And more jingoistic sentiments are just what we need now, really? And while "I used to care. But things have changed" is a cool hook for a song--brilliant really--it's a lousy way to live your life.

Slide: Pete has long repudiated the contention that he axed Dylan's mic. Look up his interview with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now. But that is besides the point--the point being you asked me to name an artist who didn't put him or her self in commercials.

Quote:
Isn't it more likely: he did it because he believed in it?

Just like he believed in Fender, eh? So good to know he has such strong beliefs that he acts upon. Can we look forward to Dylan's first annual worldwide concert tour in support of the orphans of Chrysler?

Excuse me while I search YouTube for the TS Eliot feminine hygiene deodorant advert.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
If you want to talk sell out, talk about Martin Mull, not Dylan.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
TS Eliot feminine hygiene deodorant advert.

I sat through Cats. It was a bit like sitting through a deodorant advert.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Touche.

But didn't you think Cats was a brilliant commercial for that rebel poet Eliot and that Andrew Lloyd Webber had no thought of money?

And in other news, you're comparing Martin Mull to Bob Dylan? I think that's a first, Slide.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Land

I think fundamentally our disagreement comes down to I liked the commercial, I thought dylan was great in it. And you didn't. I liked the message. I liked the delivery. I liked the music.

If you want to know what I didn't like: the *** scientology ad.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 19:43, landmark wrote:
And more jingoistic sentiments are just what we need now, really?

I wondered if it was the "Buy American" theme. Perhaps he'd be a better global citizen if he'd done a spot in favor of outsourcing jobs.

http://youtu.be/OoDY8ce_3zk
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 20:10, Slide wrote:

If you want to know what I didn't like: the *** scientology ad.

http://www.thewaytohappiness.org/home.html
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
So long as he advertises goods made in the USA then see no harm in it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 20:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-03 19:43, landmark wrote:
And more jingoistic sentiments are just what we need now, really?

I wondered if it was the "Buy American" theme. Perhaps he'd be a better global citizen if he'd done a spot in favor of outsourcing jobs.

http://youtu.be/OoDY8ce_3zk

Not just that. I actually don't have a problem with "Buy America." I do have a problem with a so-called Buy America ad when the profits really go to an Italian multi-national corporation. But really that wasn't quite it either. I think it was the whole Gestalt of selling authenticity using the brand of Bob Dylan. Maybe not everything has to be a commodity, including authenticity?
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Of course if you are looking for reasons to disappointed with Dylan, he's given you plenty. The folkies were apoplectic when Dylan went electric. He was considered a sell out. And the Rockers went nuts when Dylan went country and started doing duets with J. Cash. They called him a sell out. When Dylan started wearing glam makeup on the stage they called him a sell out. When Dylan went Christian we all freaked out and they called him a sellout. When he became an orthadox jew at the wailing wall, they said he lost his mind. What a sell out. When Dylan started hosting a radio show people couldn't believe it. He had sold out. Victorias secrete sold out. Caddy commercial. Sell out.

And yet year after year dylan has released one masterwork after another. Who of his peers are still producing at his rate of productivity , writing song after song that will live with the best music of all time.

Sorry folks. He's a nation treasure and if he wants to do a mr coffee commercial ,thats all right with me.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I don't think you understand how advertising works. Bob Dylan didn't go to Chrysler and say, "Hey guys, I really believe in your product. I'd like to do a commercial for you." No. The advertising campaign for a product like Chrysler starts with their PR people inviting several of the top advertising agencies to compete for the privilege of handling their account. Each advertising company's creative heads meet with Chrysler reps, to determine what they want to get across to their target audience. Also, a budget is discussed.

Once they know the logistics, each advertising agency gives the assignment to several of their "creative teams." These small groups of two to three people try to draft unique and original approaches to selling the product. This involves extensive research, including poll-taking and intensive focus groups. All these concepts are presented to the head of the ad agency. He or she will pick only one of these ideas to pitch to Chrysler. (All the other creative teams lose out).

So in this case, one of the creative teams at the ad agency proposed the idea of getting Bob Dylan to appear and sing in a commercial with strong "American pride" overtones. The head of the ad agency approved that idea, and selected it as the one to pitch to Chrysler. Dylan's management would have been contacted to see if he would accept. Dylan's accountants and attorneys would have negotiated a fee. To sweeten the pot, the ad agency probably agreed to incorporate one of Dylan's compositions (so he would also benefit from song royalties).

Once they know Dylan is on board, everyone at the ad agency gets involved, helping to expand on the idea and create a fabulous presentation. Finally, they present it to the Chrysler folks, hoping that their concept will win the account. (Remember, all the other top agencies will also be presenting their chosen concept). Chrysler will ultimately choose only one idea and discard the rest. So even though they've all put in a tremendous amount of work, in the end only one ad agency will reap the benefits. There is usually no guarantee who will win the account (Although as in all situations where big money is involved, politics and underhandedness do sometimes play a part).

As we now know, the Chrysler folks picked the Dylan idea. The next step for the ad agency would have been to hire all the right people to create the commercial. From film director to cinematographer to art director to make-up artist to camera crew and everything else that it entails. None of these decisions, including the post-production editing, would have involved Bob Dylan. For his part, all he had to do was to show up at the film studio, and follow the director's instructions for each shot.

Slide, I don't begrudge your idol the right to participate in a product commercial. But I seriously doubt if Dylan has ever even considered driving a Chrysler. The motive was money ... whether he needed it or not. His accountants and PR people convinced him that it was a good idea. And for him, it probably was. But for some of us, it tarnished his reputation.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks for the details Arthur.
Here's a song about American Pride. Written by someone who was never near a Super Bowl. More like a Dust Bowl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G60PfjeTh9Y
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Well arthur , your fickleness is noted.

What can I say but hogwash. Remind me not tell you about the tooth ferry.

Oh, and I've been working in the advertising industry for decades. The launch party of one of my companies was held at tbwa chiat day. I've participated in those brain storming sessions. What you don't understand that it is the power of a commercial to distill deep held beliefs. Which is why ad men are are great at creating political ads. The fact that a product is sold does not negate the power or importance of the sentiment. It is more likely that dylan was oitched on he idea of appearing in a commercial by his record compny to promote his music. Maybe he felt obligated to the record company . Or his agent. Rarely are these things about money.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here's one more guy who missed the Super Bowl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9a4fFYAFfc
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Slide, if you know anything about advertising, you will know it is ALL about money. And if you know anything about the music business (which these days is run by accountants and attorneys), then you will know it is also ALL about money.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.

You don't think Michelangelo knew it was all about the money, that Medici money.

I'm sorry...HOW long have you been in the entertainment industry? If commerce is like pooping in the soup to you, well, get rid of all popular art for the last 100 years. Ever hear Louie Armstrong's commercial for Swiss Kriss laxatives?

Same as it ever was.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
By the way, here is the transcript. Dylan, of course, never mentions the name of the product or really sells anything. If I told you this was written by Carl Sandberg, few would doubt it:

Is there anything more American than America?

‘Cause you can’t import original.

You can’t fake true cool.

You can’t duplicate legacy.

Because what Detroit created was a first

and became an inspiration to the… rest of the world.

Yeah…Detroit made cars. And cars made America

Making the best, making the finest, takes conviction.

And you can't import, the heart and soul,

of every man and woman working on the line.

You can search the world over for the finer things,

but you won’t find a match for the American road

and the creatures that live on it.

Because we believe in the zoom,

and the roar, and the thrust.

And when it’s made here, it’s made with the one thing

you can’t import from anywhere else. American…Pride.

So let Germany brew your beer,

Let Switzerland make your watch,

Let Asia assemble your phone.

We…will build…your car.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
And Arthur, if you have spent any time around ad agencies you know that in the media department it is all about the money. In the creative department, it is all about making movies and winning awards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oh, woe is me, T' have seen what I have seen, see what I see! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL