We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Divine? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3745 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's a very big title: "Divine." When you see it (if you're like me) you weigh it. Colin McLeod has a reputation as an innovator, an original thinker -- one of the influential designers. But...'Divine?' Hmmm.

I placed my order in November -- and, thanks to Canada Customs -- didn't get it until mid January. By this time, this book was no longer a "hot" topic because people had read it, talked about it and moved on to the new Latest Greatest Offering. Besides...it was released shortly after the hottest book of the year: "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy: Volume Two." That's a pretty big shadow.

Since I'd already been through AM2 several times, I opened Divine and settled in to read. The same thought re-occurred to me: "Divine?" It was with a little mental sniff that I read through the introduction by Patrick Redford telling me what a swell fellow Colin is...and how likely it is that this book is to rock my performing world. I've met Colin once or twice and sure...he's a nice guy. And I've watched his posts here on the Café, where he's doing mentalism in a mall and I very much like his style. I saw mentalists lined up at MindVention, money in hand, to purchase "Zen."

So...I'm reading the first few pages he's written and I'm sitting a little straighter. Colin's explaining about how he places an emphasis on simplicity of execution -- and how each effect is relentlessly under renovation...being honed to make it better -- to eliminate the things that don't quite feel right. I can relate to this. And I respect it, too.

As I read I realize that I really am sharing thoughts with a brilliant mind that has wrestled with the same things I do: how can the Invis**le Deck be presented more powerfully? Is there a way to perform MultiDi**nsional's die cube that will blow people away? How about Hugo Shelley's Sixth S*nse 2.5? A TOD that the audience only imagines? (Okay. I NEVER imagined that one.)

But as I read these short little chapters, it really feels like I'm sitting sharing a pint with Colin. These ideas are fresh and exciting and even more importantly, they spur other concepts in my mind...different angles to take these routines on.

But "ways to use props you already have" is only a fragment of what you'll find in this book.

There are routines designed with such simplicity that you'll find yourself thinking about Corinda and Annemann. These effects will play well on-stage OR close-up...and you're going to completely understand the mechanics of most of them after just a few minutes. In each of the routines, there's painstaking attention paid to nuance -- the little scripting touches that transform a good effect into a brilliant one. I like that a lot. There's a sense McLeod is always seeking to maximize the impact in the eyes of the audience. I like that too.

I even read the chapters detailing card effects. And I hate card effects.

Yup. The routines are remarkable and they really do crackle with fresh thinking.

But you know where the book REALLY shines? It's when McLeod shares his ideas about mentalism...how he structures his effects and builds a show...why he does the things he does with Q and A...delightfully concise ideas about scripting and the critical importance paid to the Little Things Most Of Us Ignore. This is a smart guy, completely devoted to mastering his craft -- and I am very pleased he's sharing so much with the community -- with such a generous honesty.

This book is going to teach you something. It's going to challenge you and it's going to make you raise your own bar.

It's been said that good things come in threes. First there was "Unreal" by Bruce Bernstein, that still leaves me a little breathless at the audacious brilliant thinking. Then there was Cassidy's AM2 -- a mastercourse in the presentation of mentalism. Now there's Divine, an unpretentious utterly brilliant book...with a perfect title.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
All I can say is wow.....

I guess I will need to read this one
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3676 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Thanks, David, excellent review and so true. Regarding the three books you mentioned: as mentalists we had a good time recently Smile. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
David, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I will be meeting Colin soon and will hopefully be able to pick one of these up in person from him.

It doesn't surprise me that this book is a gem.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
London/New York
1279 Posts

Profile of Colin
Truly mumbled reading this.

So pleased it's making a positive difference.

Utterly overwhelmed at the response to it and how quickly I've had to get more printed.

Everyone who has bought it, I think you're wonderful. Those who have preordered it, I'll get them to you ASAP!

Again, thank you David and everyone.

Col
Epiphanies by C. - Now available - http://colincloud.com/colleagues/
tpratt38
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
273 Posts

Profile of tpratt38
I am half way through Divine, I like that is not just effects it how to create your own presentation, and take a concept and feed and grow it into your own. It sparks a lot creation for you to be able to DIVINE something new. I like the title I don't feel it is to mean divine a thought of the spectator but to Divine your own thought process and performance.

Thanks for the great inspiration Colin.

Tim
Mental Threads....

Invoking your thoughts one thread at a time...

Creator of Voodoo Dowels
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Man, I need to stop reading glowing reviews like this. I'm going to be broke. I know I need it based off of how good Opening Minds was.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3310 Posts

Profile of Looch
Its a great book. I finished reading it a couple weeks back and am glad I bought it from Colin!
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I'm going to be placing my order very soon!!! Any chance someone can give a list of the contents?

Josh
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4190 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I bought it from Colin at his over the top ultra cool Tannen's lecture in NYC.
I love this book. Truly a treasure.
He tried to convince me that if the lecture was successful that I would not need the book but he was being modest Smile
The book is brilliant and I can't wait for his next.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Don't believe anything that anyone has said in this thread. This book isn't possibly Colin's best commercial release to date. This book won't inspire you to be more creative and an individual or help develop your own performance style. This book won't help you to look at the tools you have and examine why you are using them a certain way and show you that door you somehow missed to use them a entire new way. You won't get half way through the book and think holy crap there really is some great stuff here!

(Here's to hoping you believe the statement above and only a few buy this gem)

P.S. Thanks Colin. Look forward to talking to you soon my friend.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
KPPfeiffer
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of KPPfeiffer
David Thiel: wonderful review! It did'nt motivate me to buy the book though. Because when I saw an ad on here, I IMMEDIATELY ordered the book. I know and admire Colins work. I got the message that the book would be only available in March. So I assumed it would arrive at the end of March or even later. Wrong! It arrived today. I'm very happy.
And only now I came across this thread and read your review which helps me to study the book.
Thank you David and THANK you Colin!
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2528 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Ordered this not too long ago. Am very excited to get my hands on it.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1342 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
David,

Your review inspired me to purchase Divine. Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and useful review.
rockmartian
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of rockmartian
This book is indeed beyond fantastic. I am using several bits from the book already, and getting great results. The only thing that saddens me is that it can now be bought via the flightless bird's shop. I don't want anyone else to have it. Smile
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1464 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2014, rockmartian wrote:
This book is indeed beyond fantastic. I am using several bits from the book already, and getting great results. The only thing that saddens me is that it can now be bought via the flightless bird's shop. I don't want anyone else to have it. Smile

I was slightly disappointed by this as well...
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
As was I, all the power to Colin tho but I do wish it stayed more exclusive. The book itself is filled with wonderful bits, especially Colin's take on the which hand ploy, his idea is simply brilliant. The book really does make you open up your mind on the way to present your routines and so far, I'd have to say that this has been one of the best purchases I've made so far this year.
Twitter @darjames
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
London/New York
1279 Posts

Profile of Colin
Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

The reality is that my number one reason for releasing stuff is to make a positive difference to the art of mentalism.

What I discuss in the book goes beyond the effects, beyond the importance of being unique and actually shares how to be creative and stand out as a performer. In my opinion, the more people who read that and adopt that approach, the more mentalism will grow and it will no longer be, in some places, a tirade of mentalists doing the exact same material.

... For that reason, the more the book is available, the more we're all going to be standing out sooner.

You're all wonderful and I cannot thank you enough for your support. It is overwhelming and utterly appreciated.

Col.
Epiphanies by C. - Now available - http://colincloud.com/colleagues/
rockmartian
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of rockmartian
Good thoughts Colin. And honestly, almost anyone these days actually picking up a book and reading it, are probably going to treat these thoughts and tools with the respect they deserve.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1342 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The postman brought Divine yesterday. Thank you for autographing my book, Colin Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Divine? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL