The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » GYRE - Prof BC & Gemini Artifacts (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1666 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
I wonder if Vic may be able to open up a forum over at Gemini Artifacts where GYRE owners can discuss this more openly without risk of exposure? It would allow Prof BC (and others) to respond in a more time-efficient manner to those with similar questions.
Just curious...
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------eXtrementalism------------ ..........IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND..........
1246 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Is it not a problem to let the helper do the spinning? I mean if some owners have trouble letting it spin in the right direction, how can a helper do all the spinning...

I'm waiting for a reply with my hand on the buy now button Smile

Thanks!
John
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
My Gyre arrived! Im thinking of ways to use it without the extra thingy, so more impromptu. But Im happy with it, Vic certainly does great work. And thanks Prof! Still thinking of routines to use it in. Now I have to save up for your coins though!!
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, Dr. Eamon wrote:
Is it not a problem to let the helper do the spinning? I mean if some owners have trouble letting it spin in the right direction, how can a helper do all the spinning...

I'm waiting for a reply with my hand on the buy now button Smile

Thanks!
John

The spectator CAN do the spinning for sure. The issue I believe that some are having is finding the sweet spot on it. Once that is found (with a little experimentation) it performs flawlessly. In fact the spectator can handle it the entire time without the performer touching it once.

I also appreciate the comment, but PROF BC created this, I am simply a fan on this release.
phillipsart
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
310 Posts

Profile of phillipsart
This sounds great. Those that are recently having problems, did you end up sorting out the issues.?
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2014, David Eichler wrote:
I wonder if Vic may be able to open up a forum over at Gemini Artifacts where GYRE owners can discuss this more openly without risk of exposure? It would allow Prof BC (and others) to respond in a more time-efficient manner to those with similar questions.
Just curious...

Forum is now up at geminiartifacts.com and all GYRE users should be able to access it. If you cannot view the forum, please email or PM me please.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1360 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
The problem seems to be enthusiasm (if that is ever a problem). The 'spin' is intended to be no more than a gentle tap that sends the GYRE rotating (in either direction) just a few times (about 3-to-4 complete rotations). It would appear that some have been trying to spin it like a top or propeller, and that makes it perform less well.

It honestly isn't particularly finicky. I test each one after it is first polished and again after it is aged & repolished on a very smooth wooden table, a stainless steel surface, and a polished marble surface just to ensure it is working properly before packing it up.

As to letting the spec do the spinning, this is absolutely possible & should be employed (in my opinion) as it is even more effective to have this happen away from the performer. However, an initial demonstration of how to set the piece in motion is helpful, effective, and not at all suspicious (because it actually is nothing more than it appears to be: a demonstration for the benefit of the spec).

A gentle tap is all that is wanted (actually, I use the back of my fingernail and give it more of a 'rub' along its edge to set it in motion; with one end point towards me, I pull my hand towards me as I slip my nail along the bronze). The movement then is very nice & a little eerie, rather like the Haunted Key.

Hope that is of assistance.

I am always available via PM to discuss individual handlings & to offer help.

Best,
BC

[edit] oops, I was apparently writing this as Vic made the announcement of the gemini artifacts forum. We'll see you there, too, if you have questions. BC
Phasmologist
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
663 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Mine is working wonderfully now - definitely operator error and nothing whatsoever to do with the artifact. I took Prof BC's advice and am gently tapping it and that works great. I also found a nice version of the (secret word replaced here) which I will put up over on the Gemini forum.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Doc Ben
View Profile
Regular user
Phoenix, AZ
188 Posts

Profile of Doc Ben
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2014, Bedford wrote:
Mine is working wonderfully now - definitely operator error and nothing whatsoever to do with the artifact. I took Prof BC's advice and am gently tapping it and that works great. I also found a nice version of the (secret word replaced here) which I will put up over on the Gemini forum.

Mine, too...workling fine as it was my "over-enrthusiam" that was the challenge....I was spinning it like a propellar with much force, but the gentler tapping/touching has it working fine...! I also found I had to find the best surface and that resolved any issues...thanks again for the tips and for Prof BC's advice...! Smile
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" (the original F. Baum)
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------eXtrementalism------------ ..........IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND..........
1246 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
I’m a little confused here. Spinning is just 3 to 4 turns... hmmm.

Yes I guess I was a little too enthusiastic thinking it could really ‘spin’ in both directions the way I perceive spinning. Also the old toy confused me as it needed a fast spin.

A video would really be great here!

I still love the idea, but I don’t want to have trouble letting a helper do all the ‘spinning’ while I’m telling a story...

Thanks!
John Smile
horus1
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of horus1
I recently performed the routine for my nieces (13 and 10) using a slightly modified version of the professor's Fairy Bolt tail.
They were able to try the spin several times. 3-4 rotations a go was plenty. Any more would have been overkill and slowed the routine.
A gingerly tap seems to fit the mood and in fact pull the specs deeper into the moment.
Once the r@ttl*b@ck effect occurs, they had great fun attempting to spin it harder and failing which further emphasized the "magic".
They were blown away.
Setting the tone, and telling a good story are key so the spec feels like they know what to do when you have them spin.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1666 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
I followed Bedford's suggestion (posted at the GYRE forum at geminiartifacts.com) and it worked like a charm!!
Intrepid
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, MD
973 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On , Seth speaks wrote:
In general, Al is wonderful with scripting, IMHO. He truly has the gift -- right up there near the Professor hisself. Smile I certainly look forward to seeing his take on Gyre...

Ah thanks.

I'm going to try to get to writing the whole thing out in a WORD document later this week. But I have two writing assignments to get finished today for the newspaper I work for (hmmm, work equals some sort of decent pay, ok... "for the newspaper that I perform community service for") and I usually get new assignments around Thursday. So, I'll try to fit it in.

Al, was your script for Gyre ever completed and posted?
Bob
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
I posted in the crypt a while back what I use on this. ....and then spin it like a propeller.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
He is a video of it. I spin it multiple speeds including "propeller". I recomend a wood surface. You can see the surface remains clean in between it being able to spin and not spin.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1455 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On May 9, 2014, Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2014, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On , Seth speaks wrote:
In general, Al is wonderful with scripting, IMHO. He truly has the gift -- right up there near the Professor hisself. Smile I certainly look forward to seeing his take on Gyre...

Ah thanks.

I'm going to try to get to writing the whole thing out in a WORD document later this week. But I have two writing assignments to get finished today for the newspaper I work for (hmmm, work equals some sort of decent pay, ok... "for the newspaper that I perform community service for") and I usually get new assignments around Thursday. So, I'll try to fit it in.

Al, was your script for Gyre ever completed and posted?

Sorry I didn't get back to the thread about this.

Nope.

I found I was hitting the same creative walls with this model as I was over 35 years ago over a small lead model I purchased back then.

I just couldn't come up with something that suited my style of performing or the kind of story I like to tell.

There is not a single thing wrong with BC's product, it's the best I've ever seen. But it just didn't do anything for me. I was hoping it would, but it didn't.

I sold it.
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
The video keeps saying there is an error. Why is it always a pain to upload videos and share them? Here is a link....

http://youtu.be/dCztSr3H6g0

This uses method I posted in the crypt and at gemini forum
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Very impressive, thank you Sir, good of you to post a video, excellent! That should sell a few more for the good Prof as well. EXACTLY how we all hoped it would look.
Want to share story routines at Vic's forum?
ZoOpDoG
View Profile
Veteran user
All the cool people have
311 Posts

Profile of ZoOpDoG
Sure. I think this is a great seance tool.
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
When will there be the next Fairy Tale Effect?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » GYRE - Prof BC & Gemini Artifacts (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL