The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » GYRE - Prof BC & Gemini Artifacts (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Al, if it fits your story, consider a small hand mirror.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1455 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2014-02-19 17:34, Balaram wrote:
Al, if it fits your story, consider a small hand mirror.

Yes... I was thinking about a mirror, or a piece of clear (or colored) glass. Thanks.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Balaram

A few possibilities-
This is a fun little bugger, a very small amount of experimentation has it up and running perfectly.
I consider this a wise investment, and it will be used often.
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of Perkins
Okay, that is excellent, Balaram. Great idea! Using a mirror opens up lots of new story options, to say nothing of the power of the visual.

Have you noticed that with a quick flick of the wrist you can stay "keel up" from box to palm? A little thing -- and I'm a spookynoobie, here -- but it seems to have a nice flourish to it.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
Very nice idea with the mirror!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Magicians might use the clever double directional spin but do know many storytellers will simply enjoy creating a story where a metallic artifact spins only satisfyingly in one direction and resists the other.
It is remarkable to witness in person.
The folks I have shown this to have really been taken with it.
You can perform an entertaining monologue about the supposed "science" behind this item and yet it will still seem magical.

It is a wonderful tactile thing and kinda a profound thing...your spectator is handling it, spinning it, while you are spinning a story.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 23:08, Eddie Garland wrote:
Magicians might use the clever double directional spin but do know many storytellers will simply enjoy creating a story where a metallic artifact spins only satisfyingly in one direction and resists the other.
It is remarkable to witness in person.
The folks I have shown this to have really been taken with it.
You can perform an entertaining monologue about the supposed "science" behind this item and yet it will still seem magical.

It is a wonderful tactile thing and kinda a profound thing...your spectator is handling it, spinning it, while you are spinning a story.

Similar to Eddie, I have been scripting this up as arcane "science" demonstration, with a touch of the dark arts. Robert Fludd, his search for perpetual motion and his unfortunate run in with a witch.

Like Eddie I'm not as concerned with the double directional spin. I do spin it, in both directions, but I use a little physics and a psychological ploy.

You can get it to spin about 4 or 5 revolutions in a counter clockwise direction if you spin it, holding the center with your first and second fingers, and as you start to spin it, tilt it a bit to one side so you counter the wobble. Try doing that, it's hard to explain in writing. But done correctly, you can get it to spin 4-5 times counter clockwise.

As I continue with my introduction, I stop it before it heads back in the clockwise direction. And then I spin it clockwise, stopping it after 4-5 revolutions.

If you do that sequence a couple of times, the spectators will remember that it spun in either direction without any apparent strangeness. At that point you can let it spin longer clockwise, you already set it in their minds that it spins both ways. This is like a psychological implant, it spins, both ways, they saw it, no big deal.

My scripted introduction is about Robert Fludd, his role as an alchemist and his search for perpetual motion, not about the strange object I am fiddling with. I don't say anything about the object, I don't say anything about the object spinning, I'm just fiddling while I am establishing the setting. But the spectator sees the object, they see it spinning, but at the same time they are a bit preoccupied listening to my enchanting story Smile There are "beats" in my introduction when I will spin the object, it's live theatre, and like theatre, props in hand are never just incidental to the story.

But like theatre, the obvious doesn't have to be stated. The murderer doesn't stand there and say "Now I have a gun." But on the right beat, at the right point in his dialog he will show the gun as he goes on with his dialog. The physical presents of the gun speaks for itself. It's the same thing with Gyre. You can introduce the item without saying anything about it, yet you can implant the physical properties of that prop in their mind while you talk.

Then I go on to talking about the object (and a witch).

For me, this eliminates carrying something extra with the kit (owners will know what I mean) and removes one "beat" that I don't need in presenting the effect (once again owners will know what I mean).

(When I refine and finish the script, I will offer it to any Gyre owners that want to see the script, by email, after you can confirm you own one.)
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Thank you Al, look forward to seeing your script. Closing in on mine, only 70% happy with it, but I know where it is going now-just those *** words getting in the way-
horus1
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of horus1
Thanks Al! Really looking forward to reading your script!
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
Nice thinking Al, I too would love to see your script. now just waiting for my Gyre to get here haha!
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1244 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
In general, Al is wonderful with scripting, IMHO. He truly has the gift -- right up there near the Professor hisself. Smile I certainly look forward to seeing his take on Gyre...
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I also received mine it's really beautiful and quality all the way. I would also be interested in the script BTW. I'm coming up with my own, dug it up in my backyard when I lived in Bermuda (I did live there). Its a Bermuda triangle type story after a hurricane took the power out for days (also true). Its gets very dark at night 650 miles from the mainland on a sleepy little island of 22 sq miles and only 60,000 people.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4204 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Nice Darkness! I like your Hurricane spin to this.
A.J.Drake
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
211 Posts

Profile of A.J.Drake
I am still waiting for mine Smile
It was send on February 11.

And when I am looking for the trackingnumber the last entrance says: February 16,2014 - Processed Through Sort Facility - ISC Miami FL (USPS)
Nothing happened since then.
So until it arrives I cannot say anything about it....
So stay tuned...

Drake
Magic is everywhere ...

www.ajdrake.de

www.facebook.com/a.j.drake
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
941 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Don't worry... It'll be here soon... Here is my tracking

February 21, 2014 , 1:58 pm
Customs Clearance
GERMANY
February 21, 2014 , 1:58 pm
Processed Through Sort Facility
GERMANY
February 18, 2014 , 7:18 am
Processed Through Sort Facility
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
February 16, 2014 , 7:44 am
Processed through USPS Sort Facility
MIAMI, FL 33112
February 16, 2014 , 7:44 am
Arrived at Sort Facility
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
February 16, 2014
Depart USPS Sort Facility
MIAMI, FL 33112
February 15, 2014 , 7:53 pm
Processed through USPS Sort Facility
MIAMI, FL 33112
February 12, 2014 , 4:26 pm
Dispatched to Sort Facility
INDIAN TRAIL, NC 28079
February 12, 2014 , 9:22 am
Acceptance
INDIAN TRAIL, NC 28079
February 11, 2014
Electronic Shipping Info Received
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On , Seth speaks wrote:
In general, Al is wonderful with scripting, IMHO. He truly has the gift -- right up there near the Professor hisself. Smile I certainly look forward to seeing his take on Gyre...

Ah thanks.

I'm going to try to get to writing the whole thing out in a WORD document later this week. But I have two writing assignments to get finished today for the newspaper I work for (hmmm, work equals some sort of decent pay, ok... "for the newspaper that I perform community service for") and I usually get new assignments around Thursday. So, I'll try to fit it in.
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
That is great Al, we appreciate you. Thanks for all the kind words! Drake, yours I am sure will be there soon. 99.9% of all GYRE orders were shipped within 24 hours to all clients.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3312 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Yes, mine arrived yesterday, an ancient artifact. Works just like promised. Beautiful. Very happy with this organic piece of storytelling Druid majic
intheillusion
View Profile
New user
Miami, FL
34 Posts

Profile of intheillusion
I received mine today and like a kid on Christmas I couldn't be happier. Smile
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
941 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
Arrived in Germany today... Straight through customs... Delivered to my door...
After dinner I tested my wife to see if she is a witch... Surprise, surprise... Smile
Timothy Dowd
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » GYRE - Prof BC & Gemini Artifacts (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL