The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin Magic Discussion Forums (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
Hello. I don't know if this is the correct place for this question/comment, but feel free to tell me if it should be moved. For a few years now I have ordered mostly from Penguin. One of the things I like is having all of my information, downloads, etc, in one place which included a discussion forum. This forum is quite helpful in sharing ideas from others who have the effect, without having to worry about exposure so you can be more detailed. A few months ago I wanted to discuss something new I bought there and found out that the discussion boards are not working. Apparently they have been down for four months so far. Do they plan on bringing these back? I feel as if I have been cheated as part of my decision to purchase there was predicated on having access to these discussion boards. Have other customers of Penguin had problems with this? Thanks, Kevin
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Hi Kevin! Actually the discussion forums will be back very soon. Possibly as soon as this weekend. We had some issues we were trying to resolve, and they recently got resolved.

If you have any other questions about the website, email me at acar@penguinmagic.com

PS: Hey, we started Penguin Magic in Ann Arbor! It's my favorite city in the world! Smile
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
This is great to hear. I have really missed them.
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
Acar,

I would trade you Ann Arbor for where you are this winter! It has been brutal.

Kevin

Quote:
On 2014-02-08 11:33, Acar wrote:
Hi Kevin! Actually the discussion forums will be back very soon. Possibly as soon as this weekend. We had some issues we were trying to resolve, and they recently got resolved.

If you have any other questions about the website, email me at acar@penguinmagic.com

PS: Hey, we started Penguin Magic in Ann Arbor! It's my favorite city in the world! Smile
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
So what's the status with the Penguin Magic discussion forums? As the OP noted, the forums have been unavailable for many months. If the plan is to continue to provide them, what could possibly have taken this long to fix? If recent issues are resolved, shouldn't the forums be finally available now? There's a lot of valuable information there...a status update would be appreciated.

-Dan
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah what is going on? They been down several months now, I wanted to access some of my info on the forums. Were they hacked again? Seems odd to be done so long, the longest I ever seen them down.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Any update here Acar?
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Would love to hear just an update on this. I check it at least once a week. Thanks.
Acar
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of Acar
Thanks Daniel for directing me to this thread

Sorry for the growing downtime. The plan was to see if Penguin Magic Questions could replace our forums, and the experiment is almost over. Whichever way we go, the private forums will be back too.

See what you think here.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/questions
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Thanks, Acar, for the status update. It's very much appreciated. I am happy to hear that the Penguin Magic forums will be back, hopefully with all of the content they contained when they went down.

As for Penguin Magic Questions? Based on what I just saw...sorry, I won't be using them. Smile

-Dan
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Replace the forums? Why would you want to do that? I posted a ton there for 10 years and I do not think the questions can be replace the forums, looks like a jumbled mess and I certainly will not be using it. The forums are way better and look a lot cleaner. Sometimes I like to go back read old posts just for nostalgia's sake.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
You asked, so I have to concur. The questions are a bit of a mess, they don't contain the history that the forums contain, and they certainly don't encourage any sort of structured search or storage.

Are you trying to tell us the forum history is lost?
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
I'm really concerned about this issue and, while I've wanted to buy stuff from Penguin, I have not since losing the Forums. There were items I specifically bought from them after having read in the reviews that someone had posted things related to the effect that I wanted to read. I had also read items related to earlier purchases that I valued and would like to still have access to. When you buy a digital product from a website, you have to trust that they were protect it. I feel as if something I paid for, as part of buying from Penguin, was taken away.
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
I too am concerned. Or more correctly, was. Because at least six months after losing the forums, and nearly three months after being told "the discussion forums will be back very soon", and they are not, I now believe that there's no intention to bring them back. And I suspect it's hoped that enough time will pass that we'll just forget about them.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On May 1, 2014, Wabojeg wrote:
I'm really concerned about this issue and, while I've wanted to buy stuff from Penguin, I have not since losing the Forums. There were items I specifically bought from them after having read in the reviews that someone had posted things related to the effect that I wanted to read. I had also read items related to earlier purchases that I valued and would like to still have access to. When you buy a digital product from a website, you have to trust that they were protect it. I feel as if something I paid for, as part of buying from Penguin, was taken away.

I couldn't agree more...well said.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I wonder what actually happened seems liek they are trying to hide something or maybe they lost the whole forum and will not admit or was hacked. The new change is stupid and I too always bought based on forum access and PO forums. Now it is not as appealing to buy from there except for the discounts and free shipping over $50.00. But I find it odd that the forums were gone so long and told they would be ack up soon and now they have this horrible question and answer format. I would just like to know the truth since I posted on the forums for 10 years frequently. Why would anyone make such a change and without any explanation? 10 years of posts and now no access to. It all just seems weird.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Penguin have offered impeccable service, until now.

Acar, please bring back the forums, it's harming your reputation and ultimately your business.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
Update: I wrote to Acar at Penguin on May 2nd and have received no response. I also have received no official response on the new message boards on Penguin. I'm pretty disappointed. I think these are probably good people that made a mistake and don't want to admit it. Either way, in my opinion, they now cannot be trusted. Any recommendations as to a better magic shop to do my business with? Thanks, Kevin
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Over 11 years I never had a problem with the service or shipping really usually still pretty fast except now they use Fed EX a lot which is taking like 2 weeks muhc of the time, when before First Class and Priority was arriving in two days. Probaby for some bulk discount. Also can't stand the auto play on the videos when you go the site.
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
319 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Quote:
On May 8, 2014, sirbrad wrote:
Yeah I wonder what actually happened seems liek they are trying to hide something or maybe they lost the whole forum and will not admit or was hacked. . . . I would just like to know the truth since I posted on the forums for 10 years frequently. Why would anyone make such a change and without any explanation? 10 years of posts and now no access to. It all just seems weird.

10 years? Never heard of you... ( Smile )

I agree, would love them back, everytime I get in touch with CS, at Penguin, they say its a short while away before they come back up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin Magic Discussion Forums (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL