The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Merchant of Bagdad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The Thief of Bagdad was more than a year and a half in the making, and much like The Wizard of Oz, is famous for the amount of directors it went through before its technicolor brilliance finally hit the big screens, in both England and the United States, on the same day, December 25, 1940.

The film was a hit and is also notable for being one of the first films to take merchandising into consideration. Beautiful costume jewelry was created based on what the characters wore, mainly from pewter. As you can imagine, these are now very rare and collectible items, although they still turn up now and then in forgotten places, like at UPack pods storage auctions. Pewter figurines of the fat Sultan and the flying horse are among the most rare, and you can see examples of these at this external site: Costume jewelry photos at Powell & Pressburger Pages. Look closely, if you ever see these items at a pods storage auction or Salvation Army, snap them up and you'll make a small fortune!

http://thethunderchild.com/Movies/Fantas......dad.html

I am not a pro magician but if I were, why I would sign and sell the very hat I wore, being the merchant prince that I am.

Another thought from there for tonight is this:

From A Life in Movies by Michael Powell:
Connie Veidt, who was in the next sequence, was standing nearby. "Alex, did you see the dailies of the scenes with June?" he asked.
June Duprez had got the part of the Princess in the picture, and a picture she made of the part.
Alex said: "Yes, Connie, they were very good."
"Don't you think, Alex, that I was overacting in my close-up a little bit?"
"My dear Connie, you are supposed to be a magician in a Technicolor film. Nobody minds if a magician overacts. A little bit."
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » The Merchant of Bagdad (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL