The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » You know how it is done but it is still magical (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
budja
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of budja
This is the opposite of the what tricks bore you thread. What tricks, even if you know exactly how they are done, still mesmerize you? Some of the sleights and controls amaze me even if I have seen the tutorials over and over again. Something as an excellent double lift still amazes me.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Just about anything on a Harry Lorayne video. His showmanship and unforgettable demeanour embody the very essence of misdirection and covering small actions with big ones. Even when I know the trick, to watch Harry's bold and almost hypomanic presentation, his "messy" shuffles that are anything but, his riveting and occasionally querulous engagement of the spectators, is to be amazed. His economical technique is so effortless and well-concealed by everything he puts out there that I cannot tell for sure what his hands are up to even though I know full well what is going on under the hood.
Roy the Illusionist
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee, USA
147 Posts

Profile of Roy the Illusionist
I enjoy any well performed sponge ball routines. Sponges are not only my favorite to perform, but also my favorite to watch and act as a participant for. Smile
Are you watching closely?
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On 2014-02-07 20:51, Roy the Illusionist wrote:
I enjoy any well performed sponge ball routines. Sponges are not only my favorite to perform, but also my favorite to watch and act as a participant for. Smile

My little guy and I have supported our local magic shop--shout out to Jeff Pinsky at The Browser's Den in Toronto--in acquiring several magic kits of varying quality (and a bit of overlap). There are some neat tricks, even if the props are toy-like and all Asian-made. But we do have two decent sets of sponge balls and some info on routines for beginners. As a youngster reading Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook I was fascinated by billiard balls, but had no idea then where to get the gear or if my boyish hands could handle them. Sponge balls seem to be a modern analogue and I was delighted to find out they were such a thing.

And the cups and balls never cease to amaze! On of our sets has an attractively looking set of cups of good size if one ever wants to produce small potatoes or tangerines or the like.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
And one other--even though I know much now about IT and IET and ITRs and loops and the like, close-up levitation work always makes me smile. Yeah, I KNOW it's not defying physics for real, but today's gear for this work is getting so good and the illusion in skilled hands is so effective it really looks like magic. Moreover, it is something that a beginner like me with modest investment can get into right away!
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
For me, the classic is rings. I love a good performance.
JD Draws Things
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of JD Draws Things
The first thing that I really enjoy watching is sleight of hand. And I don't Nan watching a trick involving it, but just burning somebody's hands and still not catching a pass, or watching somebody do a vanish, whether it be coin, spongeball, cigarette or anything really.

The other thing I love watching is pickpocket routines. The amount of misdirection and the ease with which they do it makes me giggle like a little boy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9001 Posts

Profile of funsway
At the core of things is the ability to create an illusion in your own mind, communicate that in a physical way, and have another person echo that illusion in their mind. That is the magical part -- and should never be lost from familiarity of method. I always appreciate that someone cares enough to perform a magic effect for me.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at Lybrary.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6859 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Cups & Balls. Watching Pop Haydn do the Classics, Multiplying Billiard Balls, Color Changing Scarf, etc. Truly magical, and inspiring!

Doug
Robertology
View Profile
New user
Michigan
54 Posts

Profile of Robertology
I still enjoy watching cups and balls as well. Plus, the performer really makes the difference. I'll watch Tommy Wonder all day. And I'm still kicking my self for missing a chance to see Michael Close last year. I was going to attend a gathering but decided against it. He wasn't on the schedule when I saw it!
- Robert
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
264 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Lately it's been Cups and Balls for me, too. I like to see what kind of innovation different people bring to it. I recently saw routines by Mario Morris and Suzanne the Magician, two very different approaches that left two very big impressions on me.
DrewPett
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of DrewPett
For me, it's Cups and Balls done really really well, as well as a good sponge routine. Something about this old tricks that just look so good and impossible when done well.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
For me, dove magic done with body loads and card work with back palming, split fans, etc are my favorite things to watch.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
budja
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of budja
I am surprised by the many cups and balls responses. I'll have to revisit that. I have seen Harry L do his overhand shuffle and the timing is just amazing. It just looks like nothing funny is going on.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
I love being misdirected close up. I really want to meet with some great magicians to appreciate this close up for real.

The most magical thing I've ever seen was a spoon bend by Dee Christopher. He'd just lectured on it, so I knew exactly how he did it and had seen it from the audience. But later that night, he showed me up close, less than 3 feet from my eyes. I'll never forget it - it was beautiful Smile
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3892 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
For me it's a good comedy magic routine, or someone who can just hold an audience in the palm of their hand. Harry Anderson can do that well.

KJ
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
"Numero Uno" by Harry Lorayne.

Cups & balls, especially Kent Gunn's "Fun Shop Cups and Balls" routine, simply wonderful.

Anything by Pop Haydn.
"But there isn't a door"
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Roy,

I love sponge balls, too. For a time, I was shooting video of all of my shows. I was changing the theme and the presentation, though not necessarily the effects. I watched myself performing the sponge balls, and I fooled myself. I could not believe how good it looked from the audience's perspective. I never considered my retention vanish as anything to write home about, but I was pleasantly surprised how good it looked from the other side.

I might also add, that when I am performing sponge balls for a smaller crowd, I make them appear using a drawer box. I know how the drawer box works, but it amazes me every time. I love it.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
The Homing card routine by Fred Kaps.. Maybe I've watch it over 20 times on YouTube and I still enjoy and admire the handling and the acting of the great Fred Kaps!!!
Searching for the magic side of life...
Cardflipper
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Cardflipper
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
For me it's a good comedy magic routine, or someone who can just hold an audience in the palm of their hand. Harry Anderson can do that well.

KJ

The Amazing Johnathan. Hilarious!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » You know how it is done but it is still magical (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL