The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jaehoon Lim – Color Change Dove Frame (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Jaehoon Lim – Color Change Dove Frame

Packaging – The packaging of the product is excellent, you can find pictures on line just do a search on the internet. The frame is bubble wrapped inside and there are slots cut in the box to hold the DVD, the IH, and the Dove Wire.

**5 outa 5

Upon opening the box there is a 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper stating “Before you touch it, Please watch your instruction DVD First.”
Do yourself a favor follow this advice, I know how we are just cannot wait to get your hands on the product.

DVD – The DVD comes in a full sized full color case of excellent quality. Upon opening the DVD there is a folded note typed “Read Me” with his logo on it.

Upon opening the note there is a full color six step guide titled “After the Preparation chapter inside of DVD you have to cut your papers like a this pictures.” It will make perfect sense once you view the DVD, but I will come back to that.

Playing the DVD Jaehoon introduces himself and does make a short mention about asking for permission if the effect is performed on TV. His English is understandable without any subtitles, just sometimes the phrasing is a little off, but hey I know if I tried to speak his native tongue I would be a lot worse.

DVD is broken up into Chapters and starts with a “Performance” section that shows part of his act including the frame and then 3-4 different presentations of the Color Change Dove Frame.

2nd Chapter is “Preparation” which goes over the details needed to prep the frame for usage. He goes into the details of opening and closing the frame and how to set up the colored paper sequence inside the frame for the various color changes. The colors can be done in any order you prefer. He covers this very well except for the final cutting of the papers, it was left off – which was why the note mentioned above was include inside the DVD.

3rd Chapter “Setting (Frame)” goes over how to prep the frame for actual usage in regards to the Color Change. Again this is done well and there are visual reminders actually applied to the inside of the frame to make sure you follow the proper procedure, very nice touch.

4th Chapter “Setting (Dove)” shows how to put Dove inside of Pocket, (comes with clear plastic insert to help put dove in pocket since a IH is used), tips on attaching Dove Wire to pocket, and how to place pocket on frame. The pocket has Velcro on it and the frame is backed with felt so pocket is easily adjusted as needed to mount on frame. The DVD does not show how to put the IH on and also does not show how to attach the Dove Wire to the IH, so in this area I feel the DVD falls short of its’ potential. If you are going to do a DVD include all of the actions needed. Yes, I know if you are using an IH you should already have this knowledge, but this all adds to the production quality of the product.

I believe the main reason for not including this is that there are Full Color Slick Paper instructions with pictures included in the box that comes with the IH and the Dove Wire that will get you by. I believe he is also selling these separately.

The Final Chapter is “How To Use It” goes over the actual usage of the frame from the back, the side and from the front. The first thing that jumps out at your is the noise when the color change takes place. It is NOT as loud as it appears to be. The reason for it being so loud in this section is that the lapel mic he is wearing is on while he demos this. In actual usage the paper itself actually helps dampen the sound especially compared to when to trip the change with no paper installed. You will need music to cover the sound, not sure if you could do this in a parlor situation would depend on the circumstances and speaker placement. On a stage, church stage and the like no problem with music covering.

It is not near as loud as a balloon burst as I know some have issues using a dove in such close proximity.

He does talk about how to have slight tension on the Dove Wire when ready to produce the Dove, but never really explains why. For those of you who do Dove work and especially use an IH we understand the reasoning, but it is just one of the small details that make a difference to you and your dove, just talk about why a little more in the DVD.

** Rating of DVD – 3.5 outa 5 – I’m being pretty critical here as some of the details that were covered by pictures, etc., are there to pick up the slack, but it should have been on the DVD itself.

Product Construction – Pretty happy here not perfect. The Frame is well made and has Tongue in Groove construction so that you can take it apart to setup the operation. It actually has magnetic connections on the removable side to keep the frame locked together, it will make sense when you see it. Again there are visual reminders attached to the inside of the frame for setup, very nice touch. The mechanisms appear to be solid, cannot tell you about long term usage. Would be nice to know if you can get replacement mechanism as four (4) are used.

The product comes with its’ own set of colored papers, and a clear cover insert to load dove in pocket enclosed in a nice full size envelope with his logo on it. All you need is some clear “Magic” tape and some scissors.

The IH is nothing new a little different than some others I have, but I have mostly mature doves and I am not comfortable with how it fits on the dove I prefer to use. I will probably use my Tony Clark IH instead. The IH provided is adjustable. The instructions for the IH on slick paper full color and fully show you how to put one on. I will try it on one of my younger doves and post later.

The Dove Wire (not really wire) provided is a full reel and comparable to other products out there, kind of a stiffer type of monofilament. Again the instructions are on slick paper full color and fully show you how to put one on. A tad confusing when it shows the 2nd knot sequence to attach it to the IH, but again if you use an IH already you know where he is headed. His website says it includes 35 feet of wire.

** Rating 3.75 outa 5 pulled down a little because of the IH and the items left off DVD as stated above otherwise it would be a 4.25 to 4.5.

I look forward to using this and would recommend it if you were considering the product.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
The IH (it is adjustable to an extent) fits my younger doves better than my mature doves so make it overall a 4.25. That's sometimes the case with IHs as they really need to be made to fit the dove. Hard to do a one size fits all.

Got mine from Hocus-Pocus Magic as it was recommended by Paul Gross as he answered several questions for me before I purchased it. Paul has always been someone I can rely on and I trust his opinion, he has always had fantastic customer service.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Jaehoon Lim contacted me via e-mail and stated that he made the IHs to fit his doves and would start making them a little larger to have more adjustability in them.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I just purchased mine from Penguin Magic. I should have it next week.
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Great review James. I can't say any thing better than what James already said. I didn't use the included IH either since it is a little tight on my doves. One of the "mechanism" comes off at one end and I have to put it back every time I set it up. As James said I was wondering if replacement parts would be available or not. It appears to be dependable but still I do not want to buy the whole prop for just one broken "mechanism" part. I like the product and recommend it if you want to have a different effect on your show. This is for stage only since audience can hear the noise and you can't do it surrounded.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Performance hint.

Be sure to straighten out the paper after usage and also make sure mechanism has fully been activated. This will keep paper from forming into the wrong shape and also the mechanism will not have a constant load on it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
For security I am going o put a little extra "hot glue" on the detachable side of the "mechanism." It is not pre-glued evenly. I prepared mine the same way Jaehoon did his.

I am going to cut a couple of my paper sheets about 1 1/2 inches. It extends outside of the frame. Did you two have to cut yours? Jashoon's fitted well.

The biggest problem with mine is the DH can be seen when everything is clear. It would have been better if the cut out was higher.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 22:13, Dynamike wrote:
I am going to cut a couple of my paper sheets about 1 1/2 inches. It extends outside of the frame.

I might not need to cut it. I will first try rolling it.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Dynamike,

When you opened the DVD you should have found the note that is a full color six step guide titled "After the Preparation chapter inside of DVD you have to cut your papers like a this pictures.” I mentioned it in the review above.

This goes over the cutting of the papers to the right lengths, it is NOT shown on the DVD.

I would recommend epoxy rather than hot glue (I worry about it melting the piece) if you are going to redo the plastic holder piece that you are talking about. Several people have had an issue with one coming loose. Just remove all the old glue and epoxy it, fix done.

Lastly on the DH I thought I was going to have the same issue, but once you load your dove you will find that the DH does not flare out as much and can be placed and angled differently to keep it from being seen. Jaehoon could have moved the cutout up a little bit and this would not have come into play, but it looks like he was trying to keep that area smaller as to not to let a spectator see this as a hiding area for the dove.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks for the suggestions. They make good sense, James.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Jaehoon Lim – Color Change Dove Frame (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL