The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Leipzig's Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Would Leipzig simply have used the Convincing Control had it been invented at the time? Seems much more direct and economical. Or is something lost with this method.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I'm not sure of the order of events you're proposing in using CC. If you take the selection directly to the bottom you would not be able to show the bottom card as Leipzig does. Of course with CC, the selection is apparently seen outjogged as the deck is placed onto the spec's hand. I like that image. It makes showing the bottom card either unimportant or less important. In fact with CC the spec can push the "selection" flush herself as the deck is resting on her hand.

I guess the real question is which way achieves greater conviction? There is a lot of merit to the idea that seeing the bottom card just before the deck is placed on the hand creates a very high degree of conviction. It's true that with CC there's conviction that the outjogged card IS the selection. However, when it appears on the bottom, I can imagine that some specs will immediately come to the conclusion that it was already on the bottom and that you had used a move to make them think that it was the outjogged card.

The superior method is the one that creates the greatest conviction. I'm leaning towards an invisible palm and replacement. Seeing that bottom card's face right up until the deck is being placed on the hand is very convincing. Of course any hint that something happened will destroy the conviction which means the palm and replacement must be absolutely invisible. I think that with a well executed CC high conviction can be created.

Someone should do the research and report back...

For the big ending you could use a one handed top palm from the FU deck as you're turning it FD. IF the palm is done as the face is rotating out of view it'll be invisible. I like the idea that the selection appears FU. That's very startling. It is, in some ways, discrepant though. It goes against the idea that the card is penetrating through the deck since its orientation would have changed from FD to FU somehow.

Marlo's Misdirection Palm could be used to end with a FD card on the spec's hand. It also has that feel that you see the selection outjogged in the deck.

Interesting topic!

Mike
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Thanks for your input, Mike. Ive been playing with the original routine lately and have not yet performed it using CC. My guess though is that the reactions would be almost the same.

Also, is it necessary to have a second card chosen for the follow up phase? Why not continue on using the first selection. Seems a waste of time to go through another SS, DL, etc. Use the same card, insert in center, steal it out and finish.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
I don't think Leipzig would've used the CC. His method was what was comfortable and most effective for him. Personally I like the showing of the bottom card right before the magic happens. I also like the idea of using two different selections. It shows that any card could've have been chosen and also cancels out any thoughts of you using duplicates.
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Who says you can't do both?
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Use the convincing control with the outjogged card. The outjogged card gives great cover for a bottom palm, then after the palm, push the outjogged card into the deck and at the same time lift up the deck so they see the bottom card. Replace the palmed card and finish.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Nice idea, Hofzinser.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Cop or full bottom? I can see cop. But What technique is employed while another card is outjogged? Won't this card interfere?
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
I'd like to see Leipzig's Opener on video!!! Does anyone know where I can get it? See you!!!
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
Thanks John.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On 2014-02-12 18:46, inaciolino wrote:
I'd like to see Leipzig's Opener on video!!! Does anyone know where I can get it? See you!!!

John Carney covers this in his DVD Video of Secrets Vol. 1
GWSears
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of GWSears
Quote:
On 2014-02-12 23:07, Bulla wrote:

Is it the original?
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 00:03, GWSears wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-12 23:07, Bulla wrote:

Is it the original?

Yes. He does a peek instead of having someone remove a card but the routine is the same with an added climax by Michael Skinner.
GWSears
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of GWSears
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 01:56, Bulla wrote:
Yes. He does a peek instead of having someone remove a card but the routine is the same with an added climax by Michael Skinner.

Then that's not really the original, right? It has two differences...?
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Yes, it has two differences. But it's performed by a master, and as close to the original as you're gonna get.

I always felt the second card needed to be handled differently. Too much heat is on the deck after the first revelation.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 11:10, GWSears wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 01:56, Bulla wrote:

Then that's not really the original, right? It has two differences...?

The way the card is selected really doesn't make any difference in the effect so I wouldn't count that as a difference. The question was where could I see a video performance of Leipzig's Opener. John Carney does perform Leipzig's Opener. He does extend the routine with the Skinner Surprise, but the original routine is still intact in the middle. Have you seen the video I mentioned before? If you know of somewhere else that they could see a video of Leipzig's Opener with superb instruction then please feel free to contribute.

P.S. How did I know that you were going to point out the obvious? LOL.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 17:02, GWSears wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 11:50, Bulla wrote:
P.S. How did I know that you were going to point out the obvious? LOL.

I certainly did not intend to irritate you. I apologize.

To me, the word "Original" means as it was done by the creator, with no changes.
Much like John taught most of the Ramsay material.

Again, I'm sorry if this irritated you.

I'm not irritated at all. I knew what you were getting at. I guess technically you can say it's not without changes, but if you stop watching after the second phase then it is the same. Despite adding a third phase, he kept the first two phases as Leipzig would've done it which is the only reason I mentioned the video. That and the fact that I've haven't seen it elsewhere.
GWSears
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of GWSears
Oh man, I just deleted the message after I thought about it.
I sent you a PM explaining my point. I apologize for the confusion.
jb201
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of jb201
Michael Vincent covers it in his DVD "RHAPSODIES IN SILVER" Disc two.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Hi hofzinser - That's exactly what I was thinking too. I definitely like showing the bottom card just before placing the deck on the spec's hand. You can't beat the efficiency of the bottom palm and then replacement. And, as you pointed out, the CC is both a great control and good cover for the palm.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Leipzig's Opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL