The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Very strange thing at restaurant ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Or two!!!
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
BOB I have two words for you,,,THATS SHOWBIZ!....

When that situation happens I would just do something I KNOW for sure they will not know the workings of. Then get the heck outta there!!!!

Also,,,,I feel that whenever someone interjects their idea
( right or wrong ) about how a trick works while the trick is happening ALLWAYS ruins the full impact of the trick,,,,,thier explaination just gets the people thinking about the methodology of the illusion instead of appreciating the magic.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'd do a couple of obscure or original effects and say "I'm sure you know these but I'll show your friends and you can hold it over them for weeks." then give her a wink. Bring her in on the act.
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
I hate those kind of people. They don't know how to appreciate magic. Do you have punch lines that could leave them speechless?
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
As to 'wild explanations,' my personal favorite was for the straitjacket escape:

Spectator: "You cheated."

Me: "How?"

Spectator: (walking away) "You still cheated."

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
Quote:
On 2004-08-06 05:21, dynamiteassasin wrote:
I hate those kind of people. They don't know how to appreciate magic. Do you have punch lines that could leave them speechless?

When you are performing for money, the customer is always right and you can't risk an argument; the most intelligent behaviour is just to smile and walk to a better table.
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
hagemagic
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of hagemagic
The best spectator explanation is..."It's a trick!"
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Situations like these call for unleashing a diabolical weapon like Richard Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System. Something that the antagonist cannot possibly figure out. Just do it and move to the next table.

-Jared
Ben Shawcross
View Profile
New user
Cardiff UK
85 Posts

Profile of Ben Shawcross
I've had the situation several times where, ten seconds into a random card trick (before I even started 'doing' the trick) they say;

'Oh, I've seen this one!'

Like there's only five card tricks in the whole world and because I CUT the cards this must be trick number THREE, the one they saw already. dear me...

This even happens with tricks I've made up, I know for a fact they never saw it before. What's going on?
CyberMage
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of CyberMage
Quote:
On 2004-08-05 16:59, Ron Crumley wrote:

I never ceased to be amazed at some of the "solutions" people come up with to explain an effect they just witnessed. Most of their explanations are far more fantastic than reality.
Some of my favorites include:
* "You have rods and wires running up your legs and into your hands"
* "You somehow electronically projected the image of my card onto that other card"
* "All those cards have my signature on them"
And then last night I heard one that qualifies as a "last ditch" explanation:
* "You did something with your hands"
This is where I use a line that has always served me well: "Do you really think it was THAT easy?" As I say this I give them a look that says, "Hey, I'm a professional here. I don't do things the easy way." They almost always say, "No".
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2004-08-20 08:49, CyberMage wrote:
This is where I use a line that has always served me well: "Do you really think it was THAT easy?" As I say this I give them a look that says, "Hey, I'm a professional here. I don't do things the easy way." They almost always say, "No".

I really like your follow-up line here! Translated to comic book language: "Stand down, human. Silly mortals! BWA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAA!!!"

My top five last ditchers:

5) "You did something."
4) "You didn't really do that. It's a trick, right?"
3) "You pushed a button."
2) "WITCHCRAFT!"
1) My favorite of all time falls under the heading of good spectator/bad spectator:
Bad Spectator (usually, the alpha-male wannabe): "I know how all of it's done."
Good Spectator (usually, his date): "You do?"
Bad Spectator: "Oh, yeah..."
Good Spectator: "How?"
Bad Spectator (faced with, "S*** or get off the pot."): "I'll tell you later."
~michael baker
The Magic Company
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Ah yes, the alpha male. I often here. "Yeah, I could do that..." at which point I hand them the cards or sponge balls or whatever (if I'm clean.) This usually results in a reply like "well I don't know exactly what you did, but some how you..."

My other response to the above is "Sure anyone can do it..with 20 years experience (smug smile)"

I LOVE my job Smile
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-07-14 16:41, tboehnlein wrote:
I have had people guess how effects were done & often the explaination is so outrageous I just look at them & smile & just say you are amazing.

My favorite, whether they're close to the correct solution or not, is to say; "Wha- There's a _trick_ to this? I've been doing it the hard way all these years!"

Quote:
On 2004-07-14 17:58, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
Kids are the only ones who ever get close in guessing how things are actually done with me. I have no idea why, but sometimes when I perform for adults (I do not do any children's magic) and their children are watching, they kids sometimes get pretty close with method. Of course the adults usually correct them and explain to them why they couldn't be right. I usually stay quiet.

Paperclipped, for instance, freaks adults out, but kids say "You must have switched them at the end, because the card couldn't be in two places at once."

Henry Hay says kids don't have the learned associations that adults do so they have a tendency to cut right through to the heart of the situation. I usually try to look sincere and say; "Wow, that's a good suggestion. I'll have to try that when I get home."

Quote:
On 2004-07-14 22:02, David Todd wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-07-14 18:43, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-07-14 17:58, Joshua Lozoff wrote:
....the card couldn't be in two places at once."

I know a guy who is like this. He's one of those that burns your hands. Even if he gets fooled, he will backtrack to the first thing that seemed magical and claim it was not so.

Sometimes this happens with a spectator who is extremely literal or logical in their thinking (sort of like a machine !)
<snip>

There's a book (I think it's "Enterprise" but I've read so many books on the Star Trek character that take place _before_ the series that I've lost track.) The book is Kirk's first assignment as captain of the Enterprise. He has to transport a traveling troupe of performers around to the different star bases. The leader of the group is a female magician who is trying to do coin tricks with Spock making trouble by sugesting "logical" solutions for what transpires onstage. She finally ends up vanishing him and another character convinces him to stay backstage until the magician's set is over and they can talk.

Spock seriously doesn't understand what's wrong. She set up a puzzle, he solved it. Whereupon the magician states what must have become a code of behavior for 23rd century magicians; "My father told me, 'Never perform before children or Vulcans!' "

Quote:
On 2004-08-06 06:18, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:
As to 'wild explanations,' my personal favorite was for the straitjacket escape:

Spectator: "You cheated."

Me: "How?"

Spectator: (walking away) "You still cheated."

Steve

"Of course I did, that's my job. But I did it well, didn't I?"

Quote:
On 2004-08-13 19:27, Watercooler wrote:
I've had the situation several times where, ten seconds into a random card trick (before I even started 'doing' the trick) they say;

Like there's only five card tricks in the whole world and because I CUT the cards this must be trick number THREE, the one they saw already. dear me...

This even happens with tricks I've made up, I know for a fact they never saw it before. What's going on?

Actually, that would work for a reply.

SPECTATOR: I know this one!

ME: In my best Tom Baker (fourth Dr. Who, very droll) manner; Well, there's only five card tricks in the world. So this must be number three.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Quote:
On 2004-08-13 19:27, Watercooler wrote:

10 seconds? I can only get 5 seconds before they say that.

The reason is that everyone knows that the only thing you can do with cards is the 21 Card Trick.

I like your line though. I think I'll try that next time a spectator says, "I've seen that one."

Shane Wiker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Very strange thing at restaurant ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL