The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Simon the Sorcerer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MadderMax
View Profile
Regular user
Venice, FL
135 Posts

Profile of MadderMax
Hey,
I am going to be playing Simon the Sorcerer in a Market Place church event. Looking through stuff that would be somewhat correct for that era. e.g. ring on a chain, haunted key, fire magic, etc. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
John Mott
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
I hope you include in your ministry Acts:8 9-24

I am glad to see another topic on the arts and the Gospel.

Simon a believer was a bit confused and thought he could buy the gifts given by the Holy Spirit.
Like many he prayed for forgiveness.

I am not an expert in that era. Perhaps cups ropes and standard old coin stuff.

Hope others join in on routines you could do.

Love brother Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Hi John
Haven't seen you on for a while. Missed you at the International for a while also. How is Florida treating you?

Make a prediction using the Magicians force. (Equivoque)

Chris
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
MadderMax
View Profile
Regular user
Venice, FL
135 Posts

Profile of MadderMax
Thanks Chris, things are going well. Have been performing a lot in Florida. I now mostly do mentalism but still do strolling magic and mental effects for restaurants.
There are many opportunities to perform here and it keeps me busy. I am not sure when I will get back to the FCM convention I have been training in Las Vegas the last few years. (Mindvention & Mystery School) Hope you and your family are doing well.
John Mott
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3285 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Cups & Balls were around then Smile few shekel tricks, Smile rope tricks, and any trick from Promystic....Smile
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
The thing that sets Simon apart from most modern magicians is he played it for real. We don't know what tricks he did but they had to be believable to many of those who watched him. Perhaps a human body stunt akin to walking across fiery coals. Perhaps Jimmy Fingers' levitation would fit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCMghdmnzHg

The cups and balls would not have convinced anyone, even of that era, that Simon was "the power of God called Great." But that's what he was called before his conversion. He wanted people to be impressed with him. To me that seems to be why he wanted to buy the gift of the Holy Spirit, to draw attention to himself and his great power. A trick like Cups and Balls is more of a juggling feat - if he were to do something like that they might have called him "that tricky guy on the corner with the cups".
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3285 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2014, MadderMax wrote:
Hey,
I am going to be playing Simon the Sorcerer in a Market Place church event. Looking through stuff that would be somewhat correct for that era. e.g. ring on a chain, haunted key, fire magic, etc. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

The original post asked for “stuff that would be correct for that era”; cups & balls were correct for the era; maybe not the greatest, but they were around at the time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Simon the Sorcerer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL