We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Original Thought Trans*itter VS TT "Pro" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3745 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I’m a huge fan of the Original Thought Transm*tter. There are two main reasons for this. First: there’s never been a need for the illogical step where I take what they’ve just written and put it into my wallet. No matter what the rationale people use for this – taking the paper from them and putting it into my wallet is clunky to me.

With a TT, goofy looking plastic wallet that it is, what they’ve written stays where it was written, and I get my p*ek in the instant I take it back. No muss…no fuss…and the presence of the “THOUGHT TRANSMITTER” is just a small joke that is made and forgotten about.

The prop itself is incidental.I love that. True…it can’t be used in bright light…and it can’t be used in very low light but I have always loved the Original Thought Transmitter.

Since the method is near impossible for people to figure out with just a dollop of audience management, I have used this prop with absolute confidence for years. Without exaggeration…I’ve performed with it thousands of times.

I’ve done entire trade shows with a pack of billets, a ParaP*d and my Original Thought Transm*tter. I’ve been through about ten of them over the years. The primary weakness of this little device is that when the battery dies, the unit’s no good. So I’ve purchased them from John…from people here on the Café…from friends who just flat-out don’t like it. You get the idea, right? I love that thing.

When I heard John was coming out with a new Thought Transmitter PRO, my understanding was that the “Pro” part meant that you could change the batteries yourself. Great idea, thought I. And I called John to order two of them.

Why exactly the design has been changed so radically is a complete puzzle to me. Now what they’ve written isn’t on a post-it note, carelessly placed in the unit. NOW what they’ve written is placed between TWO CARDS and THEN put inside the Thought Transmit*er. The lovely step of closing it and being done is over.

NOW attention is fixed on the TT much more than ever before and I’m thrown back into the terrible place of doing illogical crap with what the person has just given me. I hate that. Putting it between two cards is clunky squared because you’re essentially saying “NO WAY I COULD EVER P*EK AT THIS. UH UH…not when the SECRET YOU’VE WRITTEN IS BETWEEN TWO CARDS. NOSSIR!”

The Pro version features one swit*h instead of two that have to be pressed at the same time (in the original unit), so the risk of discovery is greater…and worst of all? The p*ek is illuminated by a BRIGHT RED LIGHT that can probably be seen from outer space. It cascades out of the sides of the TT and pretty much bathes my face in red. Nothing unusual about that. Nossir. Who would EVER notice a bright red light??? C’mon.

Yeah. I know it’s only for a fraction of a second – but seriously? This is NOT an improvement. (And yes…I know that some have come up with ideas to minimize the ROCYPD (“Risk of Crapping Your Pants Discovery”) but WHY? WHY???)

All I needed/wanted was the ability to change the battery myself on the OLD TT.

The original TT was a perfect little prop. It was simple and, in the right hands, deadly effective. Now it’s been overthought and transformed into a seriously stupid Something Else. Battery life in the TT Pro isn’t likely to be an issue because I won’t be using it.

Don’t misunderstand. I have great respect for John Cornelius. His innovations and creativity have created some very wonderful things. But the Thought Trans*itter Pro is a clunker. It’s a terrible misstep for a classic prop.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Wow what a disappointing review. I never had the original but I did preorder this version.

Thanks for posting. Guess ill be sticking to my SAW
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Over in the Latest & Greatest section someone posted a note from John that mentioned they had been assembled incorrectly and he clarified how to fix that. It is on one of the later pages. There was also some discussion on how get back to the old style of operation. I haven't personally seen or handled the new unit.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Found the thread and the page I was referring to:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=210
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1315 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I recently received my TT2 and I rate it a 3/10. It just is not what I expected from John. His products are way better than this. And really a Blue Piece of Painters Tape to hold the Battery Down. I wish I could send it back and get a REFUND. As for me this is useless and spectators will be wondering why their piece of paper has to be slid between 2 of the most fake looking items I have ever seen. I find no use for this. The old TT was way better. Just write on the Paper get your peek and be done with it. I agree with David as I have purchased several of these over the years and always got great mileage out of it. I did not mind purchasing them second hand as this was a great effect for me. For the New TT2 it will now just sit in a drawer and collect dust until the next magic auction where I can pawn it off on someone else.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
975 Posts

Profile of Withnail
I retired my tt a few years back. For me I just grew out of it I suppose. Maybe I sound old but I'll take my saw and switchcraft over the aesthetic qualities of this now.
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
That's to bad as I never owned the original as I could never find it but was wanting the new one till I found out it was different. I am really curious as to why they decided to redesign the TT and not just fix the small issues of the original. Anyways, thanks for your thoughts David, I take them seriously and always look forward to what you have to say.
Twitter @darjames
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3351 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Could not agree with you more David. I really tried to like this, tried modifying it to make it work like the original, even bought white Led's but now it is consigned to the drawer of no return, my only purchase of the last 12 months, maybe longer to end up consigned to the drawer of doom.

In the last 12 months I have spent far too much on magic and far more than I can afford if I'm honest. I have taken a few punts and a few outright risks but they have all turned out good and not a turkey amongst them. Imagine my surprise when the one purchase I made that should have been solid, from one of the most reliable creators around turned out to be the lone drawer dweller. What's the world coming to!!!!

Still, only one item in the drawer of death is bloody good going with the number of purchases I have made in the last 12 months (Divorce brings an amazing freedom to indulge oneself even if it does remove the money required to do so lol)

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Count me as one who really likes the new TT Pro - and I do have both. However, I agree that the method in the original version was cleaner and nicer - spec writes and shuts. I would love to hear John's thinking on why he made the changes that he did.

There are 2 transparent pockets where the gimmick is. Make sure the gimmicked item is placed in the rear pocket. That seems to have eliminated much of the light problems people had, as it became known that whomever put many of the first units together put the gimmick in the wrong pocket.

I replaced the gift card that was in the front pocket with something I liked better Smile

The Pro version seems to have been designed for brighter light conditions than the original. I would use my original in dimmer light settings, but the Pro, definitely, in average to well/brightly lit settings. I had difficulty with the original in well-lit areas, especially with flourescent light. The Pro excels in average to well-lit environments. But even so, to test, I walked into a VERY dark room, ***followed John's instructions for holding the item***, and the only light I saw was a faint red light that came from the peek area toward my body. Mind you, this was in light significantly darker in which I would ever use it. I have found the Pro version to give a clearer and easier to read peek, whereas the original could be a bit fuzzy. In what I consider conditions best for the Pro, I would not worry about specs seeing light, and would handle it very freely. Even in less brightly lit areas, going by John's instructions, I wouldn't mind - though I would prefer the original.

I have modified my original version by simply taking an iNova keychain light, opening up the plastic housing (very easy to do), removing the light/batteries, wrapping them secure with a bit of tape, separating the battery/light unit from the pad of the TT unit, cutting a form-fitting section out of the spongy material (again, super easy), placing the keychain light/battery in, and securing everything back. When you first press to activate, you hear a clicking sound, but with a bit of practice you easily learn to roll your thumb pad across the point of contact for a silent activation.

It is nice to have the best of both worlds. True, the new misses some of the cleanness of the old, but the new is (for me) still great.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3351 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Whilst I think that the new version has appeal as a gadget the reality is that there are many more effective and cleaner ways of getting a far bigger p**k than that allowed by the TT pro. Take the lookout wallet, probablly the nearest thing available to the original TT from a practical stand point. A very nice leather business card wallet. The spectator puts the card in themselves. You can briefly take back the wallet to wrap an elastic band around it and in that brief moment get a clean p**k of the whole card, no worry about leakage or anything. The wallet is immediately handed back to the spec just like you could do with the original TT. The size of the p**k means you can use it to reveal anything. The card could even go behind your driving license. I paid slightly less for my lookout wallet than I did for my TT pro.

Or a SUC on the SAW will give you a full p**k and serves many more purposes, ok this is a bit more expensive but you can do a lot with such a wallet. Then of course there is Tony Millers complete p**k wallet, this is actually cheaper than the TT pro and again gives you a very deceptive p**k of the whole card and allows you to s***l or l**d items and you don't have to worry about lighting (any more than you need to to p**k anything in general). Then of course the telethought wallet again shows you more than the TT with no need for batteries or any worry about leakage.

From a practical and a functional standpoint the TT pro has absolutely no advantages over any of the other things you can put a card in but it has a whole host of disadvantages including size of the p**k, lighting restrictions, need to replace batteries, spectator accidentally activating it and of course the danger of leakage. It is most definitely a case of form over function who's appeal is its James Bondesque coolness and gadgetry rather than its ability to effectively do the job required of it. I hate to say it but if you really look at it objectively it is a cool big boys toy rather than a serious and practical tool.

If you want a cool James Bond like tool that is insanely deceptive, pretty organic, and bloody effective at the job required of it then I would recommend $15 spend on the PAC stack would be a far better use of your money in the long term.

Mark
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Hi, Mark -

I don't dispute much of what you say, but do you consider the original TT something that was not a serious and practical tool? The peek in the Pro is larger and clearer, and works in a larger variety of light environments. Lots of pros used the original.

I do disagree that the batteries are a disadgantage, as they will last such a long time, and replacement is easy as pie. If we were talking original Spider Pen battery drainage, I would DEFINITELY agree here Smile Leakage I don't find to be an issue at all, except in dim lighting where a SUC or old TT would be better than TT Pro or a Telethought (to me).

Agree on the SUC case. Greatness.

Telethought wallet - I 'accidentally' won a large version on eBay Smile and cut it down to work in a modified card case that I had. I was quite surprised at how much the source light is definitely a consideration - where it comes from, and its angle, have a great deal to say as to how you hold the case to get the peek. Was working with it just last night and was surprised at the variety of positions/angles needed depending on the source light.

Personally, I really do not care for the Complete Peek wallet.

I do love the Bond-like gadgetry Smile but I do disagree that it is not a serious and practical tool. I have found that, for me, the Pro is an improvement over the original in every way but the 'write and shut' process. If the old one was worthy of professional use, and the new adds a bigger and clearer peek, but downgrades to use a Telethought-like process (and I do agree that it is a downgrade), I've got to consider it an excellent tool.

All that to say there are lots of great options that, to the spec, don't generally mean a hill of beans difference. In that case, I suppose we all go with what we enjoy. And I REALLY like this. But if I had reservations as to getting the job done with it, I wouldn't.

BTW, I don't consider TT Pro generally superior. Just different.

BTW, didn't someone recently say something along the lines that John Cornelius "heard the outcry" about the method change from Original to Pro, and is already at work on a new version? I remember reading that, but I don't recall where... I just visited JC's website, and the TT Pro is still not listed there. Hmmmm... Smile

PS - I haven't looked into Paul C's solutions yet, but your mention of them make me think I will check them out. At first, I didn't like the thickness of the Lookout.

Enjoyed reading your thoughts.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3351 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
The difference between the original and the pro that makes the original more of a serious tool is that the original did something nothing else could do and in fact in reality there still isn't anything that can do what the original did in a similar price range. Spectator writes inside the pad and closes it themselves and it is never opened and could even be sealed in a bag. The elastic band works exceptionally well. The fact that the TT gives you an option that no other device could give you is what makes it a serious tool. The pro on the other hand does nothing that isn't already being done by a miriad of other products and overall the TT Pro does the job far worse than almost all of the other things that you put a card into after it has been written down.

Mark
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3676 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2014-02-17 21:34, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
The difference between the original and the pro that makes the original more of a serious tool is that the original did something nothing else could do and in fact in reality there still isn't anything that can do what the original did in a similar price range. Spectator writes inside the pad and closes it themselves and it is never opened and could even be sealed in a bag. The elastic band works exceptionally well. The fact that the TT gives you an option that no other device could give you is what makes it a serious tool. The pro on the other hand does nothing that isn't already being done by a miriad of other products and overall the TT Pro does the job far worse than almost all of the other things that you put a card into after it has been written down.

Mark

I have to agree, and David spoke from my heart. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Original Thought Trans*itter VS TT "Pro" (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL