The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ame of "coins off ribbon" trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Three or four Chinese coins are threaded onto a ribbon, and successively somehow come off separately. Part of the routine has one Chinese coin with ribbon through it laid on spectators hand and the ribbon just melts off.
I imagine Tarbell has it somewhere, but haven't found it.

Here's Ed Harcourt performing the trick.

I'd appreciate name of it, and where it can be found [book, or magic shop].

Thanks
The presentation makes the magic.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It's the Charming Chinese Challenge by Troy Hooser. I believe it is in his DisTROYers book. Also, There is a great DVD out on the effect.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8642 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is an earlier version in Tarbell and other books with one coin knotted on the ribbon and other stacked on top. Not as exciting as CCC but ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
The particular phase you mentioned in your second post is called the "Tokyo Opener" - a contribution from Shoot Ogawa for the Charming Chinese Challenge.

As already mentioned, you can find the routine described in the book 'DesTROYers' by Joshua Jay and Troy Hooser and other ideas are detailed in the DVD called 'The Charming Chinese Challenge' put out by Bob Kohler and taught by Troy himself.

Lance Pierce also released his variation and handling on the Charming Chinese Challenge called "Recharmed, I'm Sure" - a very nice routine with some excellent ideas and definitely worth checking out after you learn the original version.
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
Just a note, that Lance Pierce has some very nice coins that are designed for his handling of the effect, but work for the original as well.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
CCC has been a cornerstone of my strolling, bar, and formal close up sets since it was released. Currently, it goes with ACR and card in Kohler's Lightning Box with the card appearing under the coins. BEAUTIFUL routine!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Thanks for your help, folk. Now I know what I'm to look for by name. The trick is indeed impressive.

From what I've been told by a magician who wasn't familiar with performing the trick the coins need to all have their holes the same, for alignment, and be smooth surfaces [I think that refers to rim ridge problem.]
Or can ordinary Chinese coins be used?

What date did CCC first start being performed and when did instructions first appear?
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I've just realized that in my original post at the start of the thread I didn't post the URL of Ed Harcourt doing the routine, sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Hu2FTYvhw

Enjoy!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2712 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 04:49, MagiCol wrote:
Thanks for your help, folk. Now I know what I'm to look for by name. The trick is indeed impressive.

From what I've been told by a magician who wasn't familiar with performing the trick the coins need to all have their holes the same, for alignment, and be smooth surfaces [I think that refers to rim ridge problem.]
Or can ordinary Chinese coins be used?

What date did CCC first start being performed and when did instructions first appear?

- The holes should look the same to the spectator.
- Most of the "magic" Chinese coins have round holes (and painted squares around the holes), so alignment would not be an issue. I suppose that if you had square holes, there maybe some tendency for binding (of the ribbon).
- both a smooth inside of the holes, and the coin surface will make things work more easily and quietly.
- Most people also think that thinner coin are preferred.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17041 Posts

Profile of joseph
What is a good ribbon replacement?
I looked in Michaels & Joanne,
and they don't seem to have
the exact type. ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4960 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2014, joseph wrote:
What is a good ribbon replacement?
I looked in Michaels & Joanne,
and they don't seem to have
the exact type. ...

A little late to the party but... For CCC, I use a 1/4" (100% polyester) ribbon called Spoolo' Ribbon by Offray from walmart (10 yds less than a buck I believe). when I cut my length for the routine, I dipped the ends in glue to prevent any fraying. I am using a very thick and heavy Dollar sized set of Chinese Coins I got from Todd Lassen.(Miracle Enjoyment Chinese Coins). I just don't use the ] for my CCC routine. If this little ribbon can handle these coins... any 1/2 dollar sized coin would be a walk in the park (Troy uses Sterling 1/2's according to his DVD) (some Johnson 1/2's have a tendency to grab a little at the raised rims, I have found due to how sharply they are mfg'd at the raised parts)

I just got a copy of Re-Charmed, I'm Sure by Lance Pierce - his uses a "Rattail" (a satin cord sold at most fabric stores) according to his booklet that comes with. I believe either could be used interchangeably and even this Rattail will hold up to my Lassen coins, should I go that route. However, the Pierce coins are perfect, so I may just use them and go with my "Miracle Enjoyment Chinese Coins" for other routines using their gaff quality.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
Marc DeSouza has a nice presentation on his DVD.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
323 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
If you own or are planning to purchase any of the Tango line of Coins,you will recieve a copy of "The Complete Tango Pedia of Coin Gaffs" DVD,which includes a Perfomance & Explaination of "The Ultimate Chinese Coin Routine" which is very similar to the Effect you mention.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ame of "coins off ribbon" trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL