The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Quite the winter, eh? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Or summer, for half the planet Smile

No politics, please. Just weather reports.

Here in central Alberta, winter came early. November and December were uniformly (but not bitterly) cold, with well above-average snowfall. January was absurdly warm with daytime highs about 8C (15F) above average for the whole month. Hardly any precipitation fell. February has been bitterly cold, but the spell is breaking today.

It's been an odd one.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
In the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S., it has been colder than usual and more days with precipitation (rain, snow, sleet, etc.) this year than any I can remember. We haven't had any large accumulations in my area (perhaps 7-8 inches of snow at one time) but it is coming so often we never get clear of it. More coming tonight and tomorrow.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Here in Wisconsin it's been a good old fashioned winter. Very cold with only a few days (if any) above freezing in the last two months it seems. I'm not complaining though, in fact I'm loving it. Supposed to warm up a little this week. We gotten quite a bit of snow as well. Not sure how much exactly but definitely more than we've gotten in a few years. They are some huge piles around that will probably be here for some time even after it starts to warm. Hopefully it will melt gradually so as not to flood everything.

Large number of deer succumbing to the extreme cold and large amounts of snow. It's hitting the herd pretty hard. There is some talk of the DNR actually putting out food in some areas which is extremely rare. And the number of anterless tags issued to hunters next fall is probably going to be a lot lower than in recent years.

Saw a report that the Great Lakes are now 80% frozen for the first time in at least a couple of decades and is still building ice. The long term average is usually around 51% freeze up at the height of winter.

As you can see Lake Michigan still has a lot of open water but the lakefront is frozen solid. I was down there last weekend and saw about two dozen mixed divers (ducks) packed into a hole in the ice about 20' x 5'. I think they are actually keeping that one spot open. All in all a good winter. If you can't beat it, enjoy it.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
New York is about to be hit with about 12 inches starting tomorrow. This is on top of the 2 feet that is already on the ground and the 2 inches of ice covering that.

This winter has broken all sorts of records here.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just read where this summer is supposed to be a real hot one.

I want warmth now.....It's much to cold for us guys on blood thinners.

In a couple of weeks I'll be at Mardi Gras, but the highs are predicted near 70. That is a lot compared to 12 this morning.

All I now have to worry about is the Plane ride down....No Cancellations due to snow.
Dennis Michael
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Here in NYC, they are predicting 6-10 inches. This is about the fourth major snow this winter. A month ago, the temperature was 60 degrees F. We're all exhausted.
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Without looking anything up, this winter in Boston certainly feels colder on average than past winters. Which already feel unreasonably cold, so someone who grew up in Las Vegas. Smile

(Every year around this time, I think, "why the French Connection do I live here? Why does ANYONE live here?")
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think that as everyone who understands the science knows, that winters will continue to get colder except when they are warmer.

(That wasn't too political, was it?)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
We, where we live, have had no snow yet but when it rains, it pours. Which does not effect us much where we live as we live high up. The lowlands are flooded though. Nature gives us good and bad and we are looking forward to a good old summer. The weather effects the mood and we are in a windy and wet bad mood.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2014-02-12 15:46, tommy wrote:
The weather effects the mood and we are in a windy and wet bad mood.

Yes, supposedly there are many more than usual cases of seasonal affective disorder this year.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Yes. It has been very difficult. Ive been outside in it all day almost everyday here in Northern Alberta since Sept.
Im ready for it to end.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
What's it like in Northern Alberta magicfish? And why are you stuck outside in it?
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
It's pi$$ing down and he had his house re-possessed due to global warming.
Smile
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
This is my second winter in Salida Colorado. Over 7000' high and right in the middle of the Rockies we have remarkably moderate winters. We've had a couple of significant snow falls this year, but even in the middle of winter I'm using a bike as my main mode of transportation. The neighboring town of Buena Vista gets hit much harder.

In love with the town and will be staying a long, long time.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Rocky Mountain High?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2014-02-12 18:05, rockwall wrote:
What's it like in Northern Alberta magicfish? And why are you stuck outside in it?

Northern Alberta is beautiful but it is extremely cold in winter.
My work has me outdoors for the majority of it.
We had a few days in a row in january -47.
The rest has been -25 to -40 consistently.
At least it is dry. Last winter I was outside all winter 7 days a week in the Ottawa Valley.
Although it was only -30 for the most part, it seemed a lot colder. Ontario cold is very wet.
It goes right through you.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I agree that wet cold is worse.

We've had a lot of snow here this year, about 50% above the norm. But it still feels pretty dry by comparison. Now if we can only do something about the brutal wind. With nothing much to break it, the wind is often very strong as a cold front comes through. That will cut you like a knife.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yuck. Snow coming down fast and wet, large flakes. The shovelers are not able to keep up.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2014-02-13 09:43, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-12 18:05, rockwall wrote:

Northern Alberta is beautiful but it is extremely cold in winter.
My work has me outdoors for the majority of it.
We had a few days in a row in january -47.
The rest has been -25 to -40 consistently.
At least it is dry. Last winter I was outside all winter 7 days a week in the Ottawa Valley.
Although it was only -30 for the most part, it seemed a lot colder. Ontario cold is very wet.
It goes right through you.

Working the oilsands?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
@Magnus
Yes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Quite the winter, eh? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL