We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What do you think is better? Ring Flight or Nest of Wallets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mentalmagicgerman
What do you think is better? Ring Flight or Nest of Wallets?
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Nest of wallets. Used both but the nest has greater impact.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Thank you Smile
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
788 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
The nest of wallets is pretty awesome...I do the "magic" move, while I am talking about their ring...Not one person has ever questioned me going to my pocket to get the wallets out or anything...they just think I'm asking questions about it...i love it...and peoples faces are always priceless when you open wallet after wallet showing their ring in that little cloth!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4761 Posts

Profile of videoman
Are you referring to better meaning which gets stronger reactions, or which is easier to do, or what?

I will say that the wallets seems more amazing. IMHO, the ring flight appeals more to magicians than to specs although I am quite certain that others may disagree.
I just feel that the typical "It's no longer there, now it's over here" RF routine generally falls a little flat.
The wallets usually are performed in a similar way but it just seems to have more an impact. Perhaps because it is a slow reveal and there is a build-up to it, while they begin to think "no way". While the RF usually involves an almost instantaneous reproduction.

The wallets also have a leg up (again, only my opinion) on ease of reset, chance of failure, and difficulty to perform.
Although you should still probably specify whether it is a reel-less RF or another type.
The wallets are also cheaper than most really well-made RF's, but again it varies by manufacturer and type.

But I think either one will get a stronger response if performed as a climax to a longer routine, such as a ring on string or stick.

Ultimately, there is no right answer, its a personal decision and you will likely get different answers from different people. So you really have to try them both and determine which one you feel you get more mileage out of.
Jon Blakeney
View Profile
Special user
Australia
657 Posts

Profile of Jon Blakeney
I have found both effects are killers,seperate or routined together.
People like them both as much I have found.
'What the eye's see the heart must believe"
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1325 Posts

Profile of rowland
I have both, for me it's ring flight every time. For me it is just that bit cleaner and the reactions I think are better, the ring vanishes you can clearly show your hands empty even as they go to your pocket and the ring is on a clip that is hard to undo. Even though I use nest of wallets I think that before you get to the final cloth they are already ahead of you even though they are surprised. Also reset is much quicker. The only down side to ring flight is the possibility of it breaking but I have used Dave Bonsalls ring flight for about three years without any problems. Just my opinion and I can see why some like the wallets.
mentalmagicgerman
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Thank you, guys

I had ronjo's Version of ring flight, but it broke after a few days... So I wanna buy a new one/ Nest of wallets

I think, I should buy the nest of wallets

Sorry for my english, Iam from Germany/Austria
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1992 Posts

Profile of puggo
Check out Dave Bonsall's ringflight via Propdog.co.uk. Excellent quality.
Nest of wallets is great and might be better for strolling, the ringflight has certain advantages for tables and parlour. Scott Alexander's recent lecture on penguin showed how a ringflight can play well for parlour, small stage, or table settings - something the nest of wallets may not do as well (subject to the normal caveat of that the performer is the most important factor).
Just a few thoughts, but your mileage might vary.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5318 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
First, there is no "better" method as you ask. It's very dependent on personal preference as well as your audience's expectations.

I use Ring Flight Revolution, Deluxe Nest of Wallets, and Regal's Ring Chain. I also use Fabric Manipulation's No-Ring Ring Hank for the vanish much of the time. These different effects all work well, and some spectators are wowed by one more so than the other, while a different audience might be wowed by another one. But all work well generally.

Pick one, then learn as much as you can about it by reading books, articles, and even some of the threads here. Then decide exactly how you want to present it and practice. Practice a lot! Repeat it over and over, at least a few hundred times. Then rehearse the routine. By that I mean do it as you will perform it. Say all your patter; use all the misdirection as if the spectators are right there. Video yourself like it is a real performance. And when it looks and feels great, go out and perform it! Performing it is the real practice and rehearsal. Fail as much as you need - it is a necessary part of learning and becoming a good performer!

And finally, have a lot of fun while you're at it. If not then why do it at all?!

Take care.

Jim
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Quote:
On 2014-02-14 02:41, rowland wrote:
...Even though I use nest of wallets I think that before you get to the final cloth they are already ahead of you even though they are surprised....

Here's a way to get around that. Get yourself a ring box that has these two qualities. That it flips open and the padded cushion with the slot that holds the ring is soft not stiff. Borrow the ring and place it in the ring box. Close the lid and with the above mentioned box, in the act of closing the lid you s***l the ring. Have some one hold the box or place it on the table and have them place their hand over it. Now tell them you want to show them something special and take out the nest of wallets. At the end when the ring is revealed, it will come as a complete surprise. Have the person holding the box to open it to find that ring has vanished from it.

This is one way they cannot get ahead of you.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Nest of wallets done slowly and deliberately is much preferred to ring flight (for me). None of the risks of a reel, very little sleight of hand and impossible to backtrack. It's totally baffling.
eddie2m
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of eddie2m
I have been doing Nest of Wallets for a while now. It is one of my favorite tricks to do. I am upset if I don't have it with me. I have my wallet in my right front pocket. Inside the wallet I have my sharpie and a tiny magic wand. I reach in to get sharpie. Then they sign the coin. I do fake transfer to left hand and load the coin as I say I'm getting my magic wand. The wand keeps the wallet open for easy load of coin. I give them the wand and ask them what is the magic word? This gives time misdirection. Then they wave the wand over my hand and coin disappears into Nest of wallets and I use tiny ziplock bag where coin is. It literally blows everyone away. They go out of their way every time to say that is your best trick. Truly magical!
Rob
vkurchenkov
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of vkurchenkov
I start with ring and string routine, then I have the ring to travel to my keychain (Ring Flight Revolution), then shoelace (Interlaced) and finalle is Nest Of Wallets.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » What do you think is better? Ring Flight or Nest of Wallets? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL