The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Haunted Prelude by Rick Lax (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
For $5 I can't believe you guys are so hesitant. While I have an idea how this works, I'm ordering now. I'm happy paying for the refinements and performing experience....
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
If you read VANISH magazine v12 Jeff McBride has a good article on 10 things magicians can do (really not do)to improve their act. <BR>One is not to purchase magic just because you don't know the secret. <BR>That is why some should not just buy a trick even if it is $5. Also many magic promos are still misleading consumers. Rick Lax has great ideas. But these Penguin shorts can lack detail on important fine points and is an easy way for creators to put out underdeveloped and semi developed ideas. Then if you do not like it many will not complain much since it was "only 5 bucks". <BR>I loved the presentation, But now am a bit gun shy on the practical nature of effects like these that are filmed for the sale of the item. I picked up Chi Card and felt while the claims were surface accurate, the visual effect and method itself was what people raved over not the practical nature. <BR>Same with Matthew Feild's Melt. Another one that was a $5 download. <BR>I found the promo video left out some handling that made the effect less than desirable. The visual effect is good, the method is easy. But there are issues with many of these if you are not just doing ONE trick. <BR> <BR>So $5 here, $5 there, 20 hear for this or that video and it does add up. It really is not just a $5 trick over time. It is $5 wasted if you never use it. <BR>And there is less guilt for ,magicians. In the old days you would have a draw full of unused tricks that did not live up to their claims or were not "worker" level. THey were like buying a Tenyo item to learn how it works not to use. You play with it, show a friend or two and put it in the draw not the show. But now it goes on the hard drive and maybe forgotten or lost if there is a system crash. <BR> <BR>At least you could ethically resell the Tenyo item. PDF and video downloads you are stuck with. <BR> <BR>Is this one a winner? I don't know. I like the idea of it but am now a bit gun shy since it seems even Mr. Lax will bend the ad copy to be technically honest. But once Chi card did not live up to, as one reviewer put it, the Any Deck and Any Time claim in reality, I am guessing this might be another novelty that looks good on camera. The mention of a jack omission and that there are two versions, makes me pass and wait for more reviews. <BR> <BR>So that is why I personally did not spend $5 . <BR><!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE> <BR>On 2014-02-15 02:28, hackmonkey wrote: <BR>For $5 I can't believe you guys are so hesitant. While I have an idea how this works, I'm ordering now. I'm happy paying for the refinements and performing experience.... <BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4933 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I bought this to support Rick. He is super creative and funny. All magic has down sides. If you only wear t shirts when you perform or you do not want to change a bit to do better magic that is your problem. Come on, a jacket? Throw on a hoodie. This is a great effect and so much more can be done that just the deck.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2014-02-15 20:49, Xiqual wrote:
I bought this to support Rick. He is super creative and funny. All magic has down sides. If you only wear t shirts when you perform or you do not want to change a bit to do better magic that is your problem. Come on, a jacket? Throw on a hoodie. This is a great effect and so much more can be done that just the deck.
James

Obviously this was pointed at me so let me address a few things:

First off, I do wear jackets, blazers, suits when I perform. However 50% of my magic is impromptu close up for friends/strangers. I don't intend on using this only during a specific time of the year (winter) by throwing on a hoodie. Hoodies aren't my fashion. I consider myself a rather well dressed individual. Sorry, but no. I have no intentions of changing my whole style just to perform one *decent* magic effect. Literally the act of wearing a hoodie is suspicious to my friends.

All that said, I may try this out sometime, it would just be a different handeling.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
James

Do you like it, James?
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Hey Powermagic. I agree with some of what you're saying here. I agree that buying magic without thought will not make you a grew magician. But I don't think that means it's somehow bad to buy something to figure out how it works. You cite Tenyo. I'll admit it here: I bought the dice town trick for like $28 (after shipping) JUST to learn how it worked. Absolutely no intention of performing, but I didn't feel morally comfortable learning its secret from some place on the internet without paying. And honestly, I feel GOOD about this purchase. Even though I've never performed this trick, aside for once for my webcam. So, yes, I agree that this purchase didn't make me a finer magician, but I don't think it followed that having spent some money on this was somehow bad.

The thing that we might part company on is the price issue. You put "only 5 bucks" in quotes, as if this were irrelevant. But I think it's a pretty huge deal. Now, I'll admit: I didn't pick the prices of my last 3 penguin releases. Credit for the low prices ($4.95 on the first day and $9.95 after that) goes to Acar, who really does have the consumer in mind. But, come on, you've got to appreciate the low price combined with the full release of the trick...right? As opposed to, say, asking for $35 sight unseen...selling based only on hype. There IS a difference between 5 and 10 bucks....and $30, right?

For me...I'm happy to pay good money for a good idea. Something like T-REX is really expensive, but also really good. I just bought Pocket Money from Dobson/Mason for $80, and I feel great about it. But I've also spent this kind of money on tricks I'll NEVER use (I won't mention names)....and, yeah, if I had spent $10 on them instead I'd feel much less bad.

So, in conclusion, we agree that buying magic to make on a better magician is a bad idea, but we part company on the whether that makes the practice overall bad, and whether the low price of a magic trick should be factored into the equation. And I'll end by thanking you for your purchase of Chi Card. Sounds like it wasn't 100% what you'd hoped...but it also sounds like you're somewhat satisfied with big parts of the trick, and I guess I'll have to take that. :/

Hopefully you'll full-out love whatever comes next! Smile

-Ricky

Quote:
On 2014-02-15 11:41, Powermagic wrote:
If you read VANISH magazine v12 Jeff McBride has a good article on 10 things magicians can do (really not do)to improve their act.
<BR>One is not to purchase magic just because you don't know the secret.
<BR>That is why some should not just buy a trick even if it is $5. Also many magic promos are still misleading consumers. Rick Lax has great ideas. But these Penguin shorts can lack detail on important fine points and is an easy way for creators to put out underdeveloped and semi developed ideas. Then if you do not like it many will not complain much since it was "only 5 bucks".
<BR>I loved the presentation, But now am a bit gun shy on the practical nature of effects like these that are filmed for the sale of the item. I picked up Chi Card and felt while the claims were surface accurate, the visual effect and method itself was what people raved over not the practical nature.
<BR>Same with Matthew Feild's Melt. Another one that was a $5 download.
<BR>I found the promo video left out some handling that made the effect less than desirable. The visual effect is good, the method is easy. But there are issues with many of these if you are not just doing ONE trick.
<BR>
<BR>So $5 here, $5 there, 20 hear for this or that video and it does add up. It really is not just a $5 trick over time. It is $5 wasted if you never use it.
<BR>And there is less guilt for ,magicians. In the old days you would have a draw full of unused tricks that did not live up to their claims or were not "worker" level. THey were like buying a Tenyo item to learn how it works not to use. You play with it, show a friend or two and put it in the draw not the show. But now it goes on the hard drive and maybe forgotten or lost if there is a system crash.
<BR>
<BR>At least you could ethically resell the Tenyo item. PDF and video downloads you are stuck with.
<BR>
<BR>Is this one a winner? I don't know. I like the idea of it but am now a bit gun shy since it seems even Mr. Lax will bend the ad copy to be technically honest. But once Chi card did not live up to, as one reviewer put it, the Any Deck and Any Time claim in reality, I am guessing this might be another novelty that looks good on camera. The mention of a jack omission and that there are two versions, makes me pass and wait for more reviews.
<BR>
<BR>So that is why I personally did not spend $5 .
<BR><!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>On 2014-02-15 02:28, hackmonkey wrote:
<BR>For $5 I can't believe you guys are so hesitant. While I have an idea how this works, I'm ordering now. I'm happy paying for the refinements and performing experience....
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
And by "grew magician" I mean "great magician." That's what a tipsy dyslexic gets for trying to contribute to the Café! Smile
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
671 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Just got this (bought the video download)and have to say that I really like it. The gimmick can be easily assembled. If you have access to a hobby store it could be made even better. In one version it can be improvised without the full gimmick. For the main version you will need to have your long sleeves on, preferably a jacket. And it will take a bit of practice to get into starting position, although it doesn't seem too difficult. There's some really nice looking, ghostlike-detachment moves. And you are impossibly clean at the end! With a clean deck and clean cardcase, both of which can be borrowed, I think you can get a lot of mileage out of this. Looking forward to performing this! Thanks Rick
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-16 00:06, Bill08 wrote:
Just got this (bought the video download)and have to say that I really like it. The gimmick can be easily assembled. If you have access to a hobby store it could be made even better. In one version it can be improvised without the full gimmick. For the main version you will need to have your long sleeves on, preferably a jacket. And it will take a bit of practice to get into starting position, although it doesn't seem too difficult. There's some really nice looking, ghostlike-detachment moves. And you are impossibly clean at the end! With a clean deck and clean cardcase, both of which can be borrowed, I think you can get a lot of mileage out of this. Looking forward to performing this! Thanks Rick

Hey Bill!
If you do perform it, let me know how it goes, and whether you have any hiccups.
Enjoy!
-Ricky
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4933 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Yes I do! You can do other things with it too. I think it is great, had all the stuff in my drawer.
James

Quote:
On 2014-02-15 22:36, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
James

Do you like it, James?
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5828 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I see in the new demo that there is a girl with a tattoo. Does this require someone with a tattoo, and if so, must that person be a girl?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I made one up today. I had everything I needed lying around. I'm playing around with different hookups. I'll probably try it out tomorrow.
ReversedMagic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ReversedMagic
Does the box have to be filled with cards?
I could not find anything about that in the ad description.

Thanks in advance.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2014-02-16 17:08, ReversedMagic wrote:

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't have to be, but it's way more impressive if it is.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2014-02-16 17:08, ReversedMagic wrote:

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't have to be filled...but it handles much better if the box is filled with cards. For a couple of reasons.

And now, for fun, here's a video of me using the same principle with a cell phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-DOerRhgng

Now, this is a different trick...but similarities for sure. (This was one of the things that led up to Haunted Prelude. Trouble with this one was impracticality. But a fun watch!
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4324 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Rick I like the move on that one ,very nice indeed,don't do download's but may check it out,my PC is a !@#$%,so never up to downloads so I do tend to miss out on these little buets.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3892 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have this. It does require a bit of setup. Like all of Rick's effect, this is really creative and I like it a LOT! Once you see his method, I think you could figure out a way to do this without a jacket. If you follow this with an effect requiring a sharpie, you could ditch the gimmick in your pocket and come out with the sharpie and not require a jacket.
As usual, very creative stuff!
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3892 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
You only need to wear a jacket if you are going to ditch the gimmick in your jacket. A much simpler gimmick could be used and ditched into a pocket. I made a see-through gimmick that can be used with a jacket or without some parts without the jacket.
KJ
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1418 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Rick,
Who is to say $5 isn't worth anything? Some believe playing the lottery is a waste of money. These cool box downloads could be viewed that way. They can be a gamble, slick language and pitch only to see it is a plastic mouse on a string.... p6ssible a gem .. you never know. But it is ONLY $5 so why complain? What is $5 today?
So we have to part ways on this- $5 well spent is fine. $5 in my pocket vs yours, is better for me if I will never use the effect. The issue is if the product does not live up to its claims, it is $5 wasted and that can add up over time. Much like the person who spends $5 on the lottery every week. They play and play saying "It is only $5. They get a $5 win once in a while, maybe $10 and they feel they might be breaking even, But in reality, the game is set up to give false hope and they spend much more than they ever win.... but there is the chance they win.
I am saying that $5 wasted is proportional to $35 wasted. When I say wasted, it is not that the bend is a bad idea, it is if one will use it based on the knowledge taught or practical application.
You are among the new Steve Dushek and Ron Frost's in magic. Guys with so many ideas they just put them out as they are. Ron once told me "I make magic to fool magicians. I really am not concerned if it fools lay people." You have a brilliant mind, but I would rather pay $15 for a more developed and longer down load than $5 for the bare bones. I guess, because I have some of yoru DVD releases, I expected higher detail and more thought.

Sure there is a price difference but you also have to admit, the releases you put out on Penguin are not at the same level of yoir DVD level. So thus they are not $35 ideas as presented. The info on these Penguin releases are shy of the info people would pay another $5 for if it was in there.
These are tricks for magicians. OF course you will support selling the secrets for secret sake since you are trying to make a buck or two.Smile
Lke on Chi Card, I would have like more development on the entire piece rather than the history, Save the history for the DVD and get into how to make it more practical or the insight you have on it, if this was a fully developed idea, not scripted to sell the trick. If you have worked it out for a while than I would rather see more thought put into work and idle chit chat if you are on a time constraint. What I am learning from many of the Penguin effects, not just yours, they are ideas that have some bones , look good on camera, but are more ideas that the performs do not hold as much value so they throw them out there and try to get 60% of the take. While you came up with a clever bend, everything up to that coupled withe misleading "any deck at any time" claims, and coupled with the fact of trying several of these $10 or less downloads, I feel even the perfomers do not trust what they have so are selling the basic idea .
Over time it ads up to more than $35 of stuff you will not use. Sure, maybe it sits in the desk drawer of your mind and one day might find a use for it. But as Jeff says, one should not buy magic just because they don't know how it works. The reason, as I see it is then the purchaser is only fooling himself. If you buy only for the method then you have reason to actually make it work. One will work much harder on Chi Card, say if they were doing a bending act and wanted to change it it up. Maybe the set up will not bother than since maybe they will not be doing other card effect first and don't mind dedicating the prop, to duplicate the video, to the effect.

I like your idea but do not like the claims in this one and it has made me rethink these DVD downloads across the board. If it lived up to the any deck, any time, claims it would have met some criteria for what I was intending to use it for. But no, sorry, I will not have any use for it or see the value as the actual effect is a bit clunky and underdeveloped for practical usewhich we can discuss in private. I was being fair that the bend idea was clever but the entire package ruined it for me.

Quote:
On Feb 15, 2014, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Hey Powermagic. I agree with some of what you're saying here. I agree that buying magic without thought will not make you a grew magician.

The thing that we might part company on is the price issue. You put "only 5 bucks" in quotes, as if this were irrelevant. But I think it's a pretty huge deal. Now, I'll admit: I didn't pick the prices of my last 3 penguin releases. Credit for the low prices ($4.95 on the first day and $9.95 after that) goes to Acar, who really does have the consumer in mind. But, come on, you've got to appreciate the low price combined with the full release of the trick...right? As opposed to, say, asking for $35 sight unseen...selling based only on hype. There IS a difference between 5 and 10 bucks....and $30, right?

For me...I'm happy to pay good money for a good idea. Something like T-REX is really expensive, but also really good. I just bought Pocket Money from Dobson/Mason for $80, and I feel great about it. But I've also spent this kind of money on tricks I'll NEVER use (I won't mention names)....and, yeah, if I had spent $10 on them instead I'd feel much less bad.

So, in conclusion, we agree that buying magic to make on a better magician is a bad idea, but we part company on the whether that makes the practice overall bad, and whether the low price of a magic trick should be factored into the equation. And I'll end by thanking you for your purchase of Chi Card. Sounds like it wasn't 100% what you'd hoped...but it also sounds like you're somewhat satisfied with big parts of the trick, and I guess I'll have to take that. :/

Hopefully you'll full-out love whatever comes next! Smile

-Ricky

_Trickstar_
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of _Trickstar_
What if a spectator asked to see your hands straight after the trick, so you didn't have time to ditch the gimmick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Haunted Prelude by Rick Lax (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL