The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Question about a remote for my new sound system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
Greetings all,
I, too, spent several days researching the various remote music systems available and finally ended my bleary-eyed on-line search with the VSM 7.5. Kelly (Majiloon) answered tons of questions during the several hours of phone conversation we had and was a champ through all of the purchase transaction.
Did he sound a bit shrill in one of his posts? From my observations of Kelly, I think he was smiling while posting the whole thing.
Long live the mini-disc (whatever remote system you choose to run it).
Blessings,
Kerry
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
The following are products that I want people to be aware of, I don’t have them, so if you buy them and they work let us know. If they suck also let us know.

IPOD RF REMOTE FOR $40.00- $50.00 bucks
I read this article at:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000520026578/

They mention an RF IPOD remote for $40.00 bucks that you can buy at the following address.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

Another article I read is at:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000327026993

It can be ordered at:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.......ROD=IJET

Personally I don’t have these products or an Ipod.

CONVERTING AN IR (infra red signal) REMOTE TO RF (radio frequency) Remote for $49.99

Visit this site for a remote extender, it converts the IR signal to RF so you can have an RF on your existing CD player remote, Boom box or if your Mini Disc has a remote it should covert the signal. Please note that your audio equipment must use a remote since it must have a receiver. If you lost the remote you can get a Universal Remote and program it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.......ROD=LRRX
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Hi all

I happen to be the product manager and one of the engineers of the AirClick RF remote for the iPod. It seems no company is developing solutions specifically for performers using an iPod, and I would highly recommend you take a look at our AirClick product at http://griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

We work closely with Apple, know all the iPod's remote protocols, so you can be assured that this product will not let you down in the middle of your show.

It's $40 and has a very small remote with a clip, and works up to 60ft. (realistically, 35-40).

We are also adding some performance features, where you can control any of the iPod's functions, such as pause between songs, etc. soon.

We also are making an RF USB donge, where you can control your computer remotely, so if you want to control your songs during a performance with, say, a laptop, this would be ideal.

We will be shipping in approx. 4 weeks.

If you have any suggestons or want more info, PM me, or email me at jason@griffintechnology.com

And yes, I'm a magician.

Take care

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Thanks for the links g0thike. I wonder if they make anything like the RF IPOD Remote for MP3 Players or Portable CD Players? Can you turn off the sleep mode on any of the players so that it does not turn off after a few minutes?

Jason,

Would you be able to add features like auto fade and anti sleep? How about push a button and the volume drops to a preset level to allow you to talk over it and then push the button again and it goes back up to the normal level?

If these remotes can be purchased for so little, then why does something like the VSM or Showtech cost as much as it does? They do basically the same things as the much cheaper remotes shown in those links. Yes there are a few more features on the much higher priced products, but enough to justify the much higher price?
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Quote:
Would you be able to add features like auto fade and anti sleep? How about push a button and the volume drops to a preset level to allow you to talk over it and then push the button again and it goes back up to the normal level?

The AirClick receiver already has anti sleep, i.e. it will wake the iPod on issuing any command.

Auto fade has been discussed, we're still not sure. My personal take is that you should record fades/crossfades to your original music material. But we are also discussing allowing users to issue any command that the iPod recognizes, and do whatever they want to with the feature set the iPod supports.

We have no plans to drop the audio to a preset level, you will have to do that by holding down the volume down button for a couple of seconds.

Take care, and thanks for the interest

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Jason "MR2GUY"

I posted this info by mistake on this thread. Please visit my POST and copy and paste your messages in there. Sorry guys.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rt=30#20

G0THIKE
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
I have owned my StageQue for a few years now. It has worked perfectly in well over 250 shows. Joe knows what he is doing and his performances as a magician is non other than "pro". MMMM...I have never seen the StageQue being offered on magic auction sites...MMMM.
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Michael-
These little $40 iPod remotes are junk- none of the 3 manufacturers know anything about stage environemnts or the challeges for the live performer- so you will not have the features you need- and the dependability that is required for your live performance.

All three of these units use a OEM keybob transmitter that I have already worked with and could design a reciever to match it with the power rating they use for the receiver- for $40- but - but its still junk-

This is just a cheap-out remote that is in no way appropriate for the professional-
It does not have the features required - nor do they have the power to handle the job.
If you want more specifics- then you can give me a call- but I will not educate these poeple by publishing a lesson plan on line.

Cheers-
Kelly Duro
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
KenW
I second that. The StageCue has woked awesome for me on both a Minidisc control OR the iPod.
Super friendly and never has a bad thing to say about anyone.
Jason, I will be placing an order for your low price solution. At $40. you have met our price point to see if it meets our needs for smaller venues. Please consider an auto fade as that would make it perfect.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Richc98
View Profile
New user
Orange Park, Fl
71 Posts

Profile of Richc98
Hello All,

I think the bottom line here is to write down exactly what you want a system to do for you. Compare the products.

I did that and bought the Virtual Soundman 7.5 with the mini disk player, because of the different things that I needed it to do, which it fit the bill for me. I love the on board speaker so when I practice I don't have to hook up my sound system.

Side note, I use it with the Fender PD-150 and also P10W with the wireless mic.

Boy does it save me trying to get someone to press or adjust play,pause/stop,forwarding/skipping to the next track, fading, waking the system from sleep and volume control. (Always burn a cd as a back up)
U.S. Army Retired Soldier for Life - SFC
trixy
View Profile
Veteran user
sweden
320 Posts

Profile of trixy
Hi
Looking for something like this
http://www.engadget.com/2005/01/08/griff......-itunes/

Where can I bye it?

I wonder if I can use it at the Ipod and get the Ipod conect with the Sound system I have..PA equipment..
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1810 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Trixy, the Griffin AirClick is no longer being manufactured, although you can still find them on eBay. The key thing is they don't work with the more recent iPods so you would have to be careful to make sure you find one that works with your model.

I am using an iJet NAV remote with my 4th Generation iPod:
http://www.valueoutfitters.com/iJet-Appl......mote.htm

This will work with nearly any recent iPod but the 5th Generation iPod Nano. (That's the current one with the built-in video camera.) Despite the claims that it will work, the receiver blocks the audio out port on the 5th Generation iPod Nano. (I tried it earlier this week.)

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Question about a remote for my new sound system (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL