The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tense Exciting Ice Hockey Game Between US and Russia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Wow! What a game! Team USA just barely beat Russia in an end game overtime shootout! I tell you, ever since our upset win over the Soviets in 1980, the US Russia ice hockey rivalry has been the most exciting and fun games to watch in Olympic history. I played ice hockey for 5 years when I was a kid living in New York and I remember how everybody talked about what a feat it was for just average college kids going up against the Soviet ice hockey team at the time and pulling off that upset win. A lot of credit is given to the coach of Team USA for that win who studied the Soviet team throughly while training and coaching his team. Soviet team at this time put the NHL All star team to shame and so it was a big feat to have a team of just ordinary college kids who worked hard and was coached hard by their coach to just come out and beat the Soviets. What a feat that was back then. Tremendous respect to players on all sides who played their hearts out back then and today. Exciting game today!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Definitely two gold medal favorites. Canada and Sweden are the other two. Looking forward to more games like this!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Yeah, you know it was just a wild and crazy game! I was watching this game and it was tense! Game went into overtime and no goals were scored during overtime then it had to end in a shootout once the overtime expired. Talk about going down to the wire! Both teams played an outstanding game!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Indeed it was a tense nail-biter of a game. I like the international rules of letting anyone after the initial tied shootout to take them from there. That really shows who wants to take the whole weight on their shoulders as Oshie did. Also gotta give credit to Quick. Absolutely awesome game!!!
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

The one goal that was called off because the net had moved, even though, technically, it was against international Olympic rules, I would still give that goal to the Russians, because it wasn't like the goal post dramatically moved. It probably would have been counted as a goal in the NHL which do not follow international rules. Both teams were evenly matched down to the wire. I know it had to have been heartbreaking for the Russians, especially when their last goal was ruled as "no goal" because the goal post had moved a litt.e Still, great game by both teams!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the only difference in now and 1980 was of course in the 1980 game we had college kids playing against professionals.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1806 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I just heard on the news that the scores for hockey games are usually displayed with huge, bright LED lights on top of the dome where the games are played. But after this particular game, those lights were off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/did-russia-......096.html
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-15 14:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea the only difference in now and 1980 was of course in the 1980 game we had college kids playing against professionals.

I still want to know why Tikhonov benched Tretiak, the best goalie in the world, and relaced him with the second-rate Myshkin for the rest of the game. Had to be the worst coaching decision in the history of Olympic hockey.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Even he admits it! Without doubt looking back it was not a great idea.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
I still want to know why Tikhonov benched Tretiak, the best goalie in the world, and relaced him with the second-rate Myshkin for the rest of the game. Had to be the worst coaching decision in the history of Olympic hockey.

Probably a heat of the moment decision. Even the best can be replaced though. Just because you are on top today, doesn't guarantee you will keep that spot, so you have to continuously earn that spot all the time.

You know it had to be agonizing for the Russians to have their goal disallowed. Had it been NHL rules they would have had that goal posted to the scoreboard. I don't think our goaltender intentionally knocked the post loose as it was clear when the post was knocked loose that it was in the middle of a save. And then the shootout was tense. Really, both teams played awesome. It was just one of those games that was so close and went all the way down to the wire, it's very easy to agonize over individual referee calls and how some call here or there could have changed the outcome of the game when it's this close and tense.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I didn't think the game was tense or exciting. Maybe that's because I saw the results plastered all over the Internet and television this morning before the game was even shown here. (I watched it later anyway- it WAS a great game.)

:eek:
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-15 23:16, mastermindreader wrote:
I didn't think the game was tense or exciting. Maybe that's because I saw the results plastered all over the Internet and television this morning before the game was even shown here. (I watched it later anyway- it WAS a great game.)

Ohh I was all into the game. I was shouting at the TV and everything and jumping up out of my seat. It was a great game no doubt. Of course, I did not know the end result though as I was watching it live.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5718 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2014-02-15 23:16, mastermindreader wrote:

Yes, the wonders of the information age... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

They were saying on TV, I think it was one of the russian hockey players or russian immigrants to the US who played for the NHL (not sure which). He says he remembers some of the first things he saw from America were three horror films: Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the Thirteenth and the 1980 US ice hockey's team upset win over the Soviets. Those were the three horror films he remembers from the US in the 1980s he said. I thought that was pretty funny.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I don't mean to double post, but if you watch the 1980 game on youtube, you see how the Soviet offensive was just merciless. I mean, it was like a steamroller. The Soviet team was just in outstanding shape. I watched a TV program on the Soviet ice hockey program and the guy who really helped the Soviet ice hockey program got those players into phenomonal shape. He had them lifting heavy weights in the gym and then while skating on the ice he had these really heavy tires strapped onto the players and they would skate around the ice with these really heavy tires. So, in a regular game, when those tires weren't strapped around they could just explode out with their skating be really tough to keep up with and this is part of what gave the Soviets their awesome offense at game time. Plus, because they lifted weights hard, they could do a good job of absorbing checks and also check really well too. So, the Soviets had an awesome ice hockey program. Not sure if Russia today still trains that way or not, but the Soviets definately had a great program.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-16 09:23, General_Magician wrote:
I don't mean to double post, but if you watch the 1980 game on youtube, you see how the Soviet offensive was just merciless. I mean, it was like a steamroller. The Soviet team was just in outstanding shape. I watched a TV program on the Soviet ice hockey program and the guy who really helped the Soviet ice hockey program got those players into phenomonal shape. He had them lifting heavy weights in the gym and then while skating on the ice he had these really heavy tires strapped onto the players and they would skate around the ice with these really heavy tires. So, in a regular game, when those tires weren't strapped around they could just explode out with their skating be really tough to keep up with and this is part of what gave the Soviets their awesome offense at game time. Plus, because they lifted weights hard, they could do a good job of absorbing checks and also check really well too. So, the Soviets had an awesome ice hockey program. Not sure if Russia today still trains that way or not, but the Soviets definately had a great program.

There's no doubt the Soviets were by far the most talented and best-coached team in the Olympics in 1980. That's largely what makes the Miracle such an amazing game. Team USA played the game of their lives, and the hockey gods smiled on them the same day. It was incredible.

Things have changed since 1980. Back then the Soviets and Canada (if you count professionals) were miles ahead of everyone else year after year. But now, the top American pros are as good as anybody. Sweden, Finland and the Czech Republic have world-class players. Heck, Switzerland is not too many years from joining the elites.

The 2014 gold medal really is up for grabs. An extremely good team is going to finish 4th, even if they play their best.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6911 Posts

Profile of magicfish
My boy Phil Kessel is leading the olympics in scoring right now! Atta boy Phil! Keep it up when you get back home.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1806 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Last night I watched the replay. Incredibly exciting match! And what a great win for the US!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Canada edges Finland 2-1 in overtime.

It's gonna be a dogfight.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Finland in the past had a great ice hockey team and I am sure they still do today. I am going to see if I can find the Finland and Canada match online here somewhere. We can still end up facing the Russians again in another game. Boy you know the Russians will come into a second game ready to settle the score once and for all.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tense Exciting Ice Hockey Game Between US and Russia (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL