The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Amazing card trick - Shawn Farquhar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Pete is right but Shawn has added some variations to his routine that are definate improvments.IMO

Scott Smile
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
In Ricky Jays version the other sealed deck is brought out and is given to spectator. In Farquhar version the sama deck apparently is but in between spectator hands without a box and when the hands are opened there is sealed deck of cards if I have undersoot it right. I have not had the pleasure to see Farguhar version but that is the way it has been descipted to me by many who have seen it. Ricky Jays presentation can be seen on his show Ricky Jay and his 52 assistans
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
Quote:
On 2004-01-04 21:48, steiner1000 wrote:
Please help, I saw Shawn at the Magi-Fest in Columbus last year and he did an amazing trick with a deck of cards. Basically he had a spectator select a card.. then all of the cards were suddenly inside of a deck with the wrapper on it and the spectator opened up the cards and all of the cards were in new deck order including his card which was signed, Shawn said this will be marketed, If anyone can point me in the right direction in finding it I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
Chad

Can someone possibly clarify the description of the effect? Does the original pack vanish or just the card? Does the second pack appear from no where or is it produced from the pocket?
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
From what I remember of the effect was this...

Card was selected, signed and placed back into the pack. The pack was given to the spectator to hold between their outstretched palms. When they opend their hands, a card box was there completely sealed. The box was unsealed and spread to show new order and their signed selection in it's proper place.

I saw Shawn do this in 2001 at the PCAM... Honestly, it didn't look that great. He flashed quite a bit and struggle to put the "cards" into the spectators hands...

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Yes he starts with a new deck opens it to show new order then shuffles then card is picked and replaced as described above.

I have seen it twice and as recent as this years 2003 PCAM. It was well done on both occasions.

Scott Smile
steiner1000
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of steiner1000
Can someone please tell me what Ricky Jay calls his version of this trick. Thanks.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
Shawn had told me the same thing last spring. It was something that he kept for himself and had no plans on releasing until at least after competing at FISM.

The basic premise of the routine is starting with a brand new deck, unwrapping it, yada, yada, and then saying what if I could go back in time before the cards were taken out of the box, or better yet, what if I could go back before they were unsealed, etc.

Great routine from a brilliant thinker.
Mito
View Profile
Veteran user
Japan
319 Posts

Profile of Mito
This sounds exactly like an effect I saw performed on Japanese t.v. last month, by "Cyril"--a great young magician, BTW.
I'd assume it would be the George Schindler trick, but the description S.Segal gave sounds correct. Maybe I'm suffering from false memory syndrome, which I so love about my spectators...
I'll check my video.

I just had a look. It's definitely the Shawn Farquhar routine, the way you described it, complete with "back-in-time" theme.
Great effect!
steiner1000
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of steiner1000
Does anyone know if Shawn is on tour or if he is lecturing... I can't seem to get on his web site.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
He has just left or about to leave on a Cruise ship for quite a few months if I am not mistaken.His site was up last week though.

Scott Smile
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Ya he's on the cruise ship untill that Seattle Convention. He has (I belive) two weeks off and the convention lies in there somewhere.
steiner1000
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of steiner1000
Thanks guys!

Chad
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This sounds very much like "Sealed Surprise" by George Schindler. I think Pete is right.

This may be why it isn't being marketed yet.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
submagi
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of submagi
Where can I get Sealed Surprise by George Schindler?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
From George Schindler (he runs ads in magazines).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been able to log on to the Café for awhile so I appologize for not answering some of these questions for all of you.

First, this is my original idea and not the same as George Schindler's. I loved "sealed surprise" but it is not even close in method.

I will be releasing "Signed, Sealed and Delivered" regardless of the outcome of FISM 2006. I will however wait until after the contest.

I have seen a tape from Japan of Cyril Takiama (sp?) doing my effect. I have known him for years and I am disappointed. My version appeared on Japanese TV just a week before as part of the NHK coverage of FISM. It's sad to see a talented performer resorting to this type of behavior. I thought he would have learned after the flack he got over Brett Daniels levitation?

My original version of the effect was with the card in reverse in a different colored deck. I did this variation for some time but it appeared to the audience as a tricky effect as opposed to a time travel effect.

Having the effect take place in the spectators hands and giving them the cards and box as a souvenir is, to me, the perfect scenario.

At the World Magic Seminar I did not tip this effect. I did explain a deck switch that I use and offered several great routines using an Omni Deck and a Blank deck. All of this is discussed in my lecture CD-Rom, BedJumpers.

If you have other questions I will try to help.

I leave on Saturday to rejoin my cruise ship for another year.

Cheers,

Shawn

Thanks to all of you for your interest in my magic.
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
Try http://www.magicsupply.com they have a demo on the site for it.
Blake S.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I couldn't find the demo.
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Oz Fan
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Oz Fan
There is a demo on there. The trick is called ReBoxed.
Blake S.
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
760 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
That is Steve Bewell's ReBoxed. An awesome effect but not even similar to mine. I own Steve's and it is great. So are all of his effect for that matter.

Cheers,

Shawn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Amazing card trick - Shawn Farquhar (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL