The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I get these books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
3 of clubs_103
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of 3 of clubs_103
Hello,
This is my first post on the Magic Café, so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
I have only been doing magic for three years, so I am still a beginner. I am thinking about buying the following books all together at once:

Expert card technique- Jean Hugard and Fredrick Braue
Card Control- Arthur Buckley
The Royal Road to Card Magic- Jean Hugard and Fredrick Braue
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks- Jean Hugard
Scarne on Card Tricks- John Scarne
Card Manipulations- Jean Hugard

I currently own the following books:

The Art of Astonishment Vol. 1-3- Paul Harris
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic- Mark Wilson
Stars of Magic- Various Contributors
Tarbell Course in Magic Vol. 1-4- Dr. Harlan Tarbell
The Expert at the card table- S.W. Erdnase
Counts, Cuts, Moves, and Subtlety- Jerry Mentzer
Close up, French Style- Bernard Bilis
Handbook of Card Slights- Al Leech

I can do a majority of the tricks and slights from the books that I own, and I was wondering if I would get a lot out of the books that I want to buy.

Also, I would like to know of any recommendations of books that you have. I am mainly interested in close up magic.

Thanks for all the help.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Wow! If you can do a majority of the tricks & slights from the books you listed, you're really good.
The question is, "can you do them well?"
Ihor
3 of clubs_103
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-18 10:16, Ihop wrote:
Wow! If you can do a majority of the tricks & slights from the books you listed, you're really good.
The question is, "can you do them well?"

that's a good question. There are some that I can do well. But there are also some that I am still working on.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've written quite a few books just for you, 3C. Go to my magic website - listed below this post with the word "magic" in it, and see what's currently available. (Particularly if you're interested in impromptu card magic.)
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
3 of clubs_103
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Mr. Lorayne,
If I could only get one of your books, which one would you recommend?

Thanks
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 10:40, 3 of clubs_103 wrote:
Mr. Lorayne,
If I could only get one of your books, which one would you recommend?

Thanks

I would go with one of his Classic Collection books.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
If you've been into this for 3 years and have read and understood most of the material from the books you've read listed above, I wouldn't say that you're a beginner. From your list I don't think you need to get Royal Road. Compared to what you've already read, I would get Expert Card Technique and Card Control, the others don't really compare at all to the books you've already read.
3 of clubs_103
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-18 11:00, Bulla wrote:
If you've been into this for 3 years and have read and understood most of the material from the books you've read listed above, I wouldn't say that you're a beginner. From your list I don't think you need to get Royal Road. Compared to what you've already read, I would get Expert Card Technique and Card Control, the others don't really compare at all to the books you've already read.

Thank you for your advice. I will be sure to get those two books, along with Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Volume 1.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I will steer clear of the drubbing you might be facing for claiming to be competent in "a majority" of effects from such comprehensive references like Erdnase, Tarbell, and Wilson. If you have basic competence, much less mastery, in such a huge range of tricks after three years, you're better than I ever will be.

As for the books you ask about, I have them all and they are all classics. All are available cheaply as Dover reprints, and I myself got most of them in the past few months. I never regret owning a good book, and if find even one new effect or idea out of each one it is worth it. Noted that Buckley isn't talked about much here, but I think it has some gems and it is excellent to look at just for historical purposes. Scarne is a classic, and was the first card trick book I used as a boy. I would stick to its simpler impromptu effects, as many of the ones with complex stacks or convoluted math just scream "self-working" and, to me, are less magical. But also note that Scarne gets little mention around here as well, and I get the impression that Fulves and others are preferred as more modern alternatives for self-workers (I have several Fulves books too and love them).

All of the Hugard works you list are great to have, but the cognoscenti here will definitely emphasize the importance of starting out with RRCM. The Encyclopedia is awesome too--a real treasure trove of goodies, especially if, like me, you like gimmicked decks and gaffed cards. ECT was the first SOH card book I had as a kid--great book full of ideas still in circulation today. ECT is more of a reference, though, and is not presented in the same logical programmatic fashion as RRCM. Card Manipulations and More Card Manipulations (reprinted by Dover as Card Tricks and Stunts) are real curiosities out of the 30s, but keep in mind they compile relatively brief works pitched at people with already some card magic knowledge. As such, they are not self-contained, and the effects at times call for sleights that are not described within the work itself.

That all said, if you are looking at spending sixty to eighty bucks or so on new books, I think many around here would point you toward Harry's stuff, or the first volume or two of Giobbi's Card College.

Les
3 of clubs_103
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-18 11:08, lcwright1964 wrote:
I will steer clear of the drubbing you might be facing for claiming to be competent in "a majority" of effects from such comprehensive references like Erdnase, Tarbell, and Wilson. If you have basic competence, much less mastery, in such a huge range of tricks after three years, you're better than I ever will be.

As for the books you ask about, I have them all and they are all classics. All are available cheaply as Dover reprints, and I myself got most of them in the past few months. I never regret owning a good book, and if find even one new effect or idea out of each one it is worth it. Noted that Buckley isn't talked about much here, but I think it has some gems and it is excellent to look at just for historical purposes. Scarne is a classic, and was the first card trick book I used as a boy. I would stick to its simpler impromptu effects, as many of the ones with complex stacks or convoluted math just scream "self-working" and, to me, are less magical. But also note that Scarne gets little mention around here as well, and I get the impression that Fulves and others are preferred as more modern alternatives for self-workers (I have several Fulves books too and love them).

All of the Hugard works you list are great to have, but the cognoscenti here will definitely emphasize the importance of starting out with RRCM. The Encyclopedia is awesome too--a real treasure trove of goodies, especially if, like me, you like gimmicked decks and gaffed cards. ECT was the first SOH card book I had as a kid--great book full of ideas still in circulation today. ECT is more of a reference, though, and is not presented in the same logical programmatic fashion as RRCM. Card Manipulations and More Card Manipulations (reprinted by Dover as Card Tricks and Stunts) are real curiosities out of the 30s, but keep in mind they compile relatively brief works pitched at people with already some card magic knowledge. As such, they are not self-contained, and the effects at times call for sleights that are not described within the work itself.

That all said, if you are looking at spending sixty to eighty bucks or so on new books, I think many around here would point you toward Harry's stuff, or the first volume or two of Giobbi's Card College.

Les

Yes, perhaps "a majority" was an overstatement. I just meant that I had a good understanding of the things in the books that I have.

Thank you for your advice on the books, and the suggestions of new books.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 1 will be out of print soon. I still stock of the other three volumes, and - I'm working of Volume 5 as we speak. HL.

3 of clubs_103
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-18 12:27, Harry Lorayne wrote:
THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 1 will be out of print soon. I still stock of the other three volumes, and - I'm working of Volume 5 as we speak. HL.

I will make sure to get THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 1 before it goes out of print!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
3 of clubs_ 103,

Speaking for myself as an older guy who has pretty much all the books that you have listed; I would say save your money unless you feel that you must have them in your library.

All the contemporary books that you have listed in my opinion are more detailed and the moves as well as the suggested routines are more fleshed out. Spend your money on Harry's books if you need additional material; his books are easier to understand and all his suggestions are practical and come from the real world... he is a great teacher.

Good luck,
Bruce
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 12:44, 3 of clubs_103 wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-18 12:27, Harry Lorayne wrote:

I will make sure to get THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 1 before it goes out of print!

Hi Harry,

That's great news! What will be the contents of vol 5 and is there a projected release date yet? Thanks for your time!
3 of clubs_103
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-18 17:28, BCS wrote:
3 of clubs_ 103,

Speaking for myself as an older guy who has pretty much all the books that you have listed; I would say save your money unless you feel that you must have them in your library.

All the contemporary books that you have listed in my opinion are more detailed and the moves as well as the suggested routines are more fleshed out. Spend your money on Harry's books if you need additional material; his books are easier to understand and all his suggestions are practical and come from the real world... he is a great teacher.

Good luck,
Bruce

Thank you for the great advice.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hi: Volume 5 will be the re-write, up-date, of DOUG EDWARDS PACKS A WALLOP, THE HIMBER WALLET BOOK and MATHEMATICAL WIZARDRY, plus. But it will be sometime before it's out/available. If you want to be notified send your email address to me - first address under this post (with "earthlink" in it) and you'd automatically go onto my email mailing list. Best - HL.

Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
3ofclubs,
You mentioned that you've been doing magic for 3 years.
Do you do other stuff besides card tricks?
Most of the books you listed are for doing card tricks.
There are many other books you can get to round out your library if you are interested in other magic.
I just assumed, maybe wrongly, that you wanted card book referrals, based on your 2 lists.
Ihor
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Card College is a great reference for card magic. Bobo's is essential for coin magic. Bill Tarr's books are great too. If I could recommend one Harry Lorayne book? The Magic Book, because it will broaden your knowledge of magic.
3 of clubs_103
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-19 00:14, Ihop wrote:
3ofclubs,
You mentioned that you've been doing magic for 3 years.
Do you do other stuff besides card tricks?
Most of the books you listed are for doing card tricks.
There are many other books you can get to round out your library if you are interested in other magic.
I just assumed, maybe wrongly, that you wanted card book referrals, based on your 2 lists.

Yes, I am mostly into cards. I like any kind of close up magic though.
neocatalyst
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of neocatalyst
3 of clubs: do you have a mentor or a fellow magician friend? I think you have enough material to start making stuff on your own.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I get these books? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL