The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Science effect in search of a routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hi Fellow FCMers: This past Sunday in my wife's Sunday School class, I did the ole' red balloon that stays magically inflated in the bottle science "trick"- with the message being people look at the outside (bottle), but God sees our heart (red balloon)- and whether our heart is properly and miraculously inflated and empowered by the Holy Spirit in us--- or whether we are trying to do things out of our own pride or for other selfish reasons(balloon deflated)--- e.g. God can see our actions that are not coming from our right heart motives. He can see right through us. See 1 Samuel 16:7 for the exact verse.

Anyway, I think this is a pretty good "public domain" science effect, you can blow the balloon up in the bottle, and it stays inflated, then deflates on command; OR, you can blow up the balloon from actually outside the bottle! Lots of explanations of this "Water Balloon in a Bottle" or "Inflate Balloon in a Bottle" on http://www.youtube.com , just put "Air Pressure - Balloon in a Bottle" by George Mehler for a good video on this entire principle including blowing up the balloon from outside the bottle. It is all really pretty amazing.

All you need is a balloon, a plastic bottle with a hidden hole in it, and a routine to go with it (unless you are a science teacher).

When I did it this past Sunday for 1st and 2nd graders, they were amazed and obviously were not aware of why the air does not rush out of the balloon, particularly after I showed the balloon deflating several times quickly before putting it into the bottle. I used a very wide mouth bottle and very large balloon to fit over the wide mouth without breaking- and it does in fact look very strange to see a fully inflated balloon inside a bottle, with the balloon top stretched wide open, yet the balloon stays inflated and the air does not rush out of it. Very odd indeed.

I probably will bring a bunch of these to our next KaZoo Chapter FCM meeting in March, is a neato "brainstorming" item on what possible Bible illustration(s)/verses can be used to go along with this science effect.

Anyway- any other Gospel magic routines/ ideas on this? Maybe you have already used this simple idea. Pretty neato effect that you can use in a small Sunday School or classroom setting. What think ye?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
On hold for me at my local library.

Thanks for the seed planted.

Sleights of mind : what the neuroscience of magic reveals about our everyday deceptions / Stephen L. Macknik and Susana Martinez-Conde ; with Sandra Blakeslee.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Another carnival bet/puzzle/trick I ordered today from Penguin Magic: "Cover The Spot" by Ian Kendall and Alan Wong. Positively reviewed on page 101 of the March, 2014 issue of Genii. I am eager to add this to my collection of "Endless Chain" and "Three Shell Game" DVDs/items. This game has been around for some time, many discussions about it on youtube. http://www.virtualmagicshow.com

However, this "Cover The Spot" version seems very portable- and would have a very easy Gospel magic application. We cannot cover our own red spot, need the help of Romans 6:23 to do that, etc. Could be a simple informal way to begin a conversation on religious matters. I am not sure how difficult it is to perform, it apparently requires some practice.

Just as yet another total aside, over 1,700 Wesleyan churches (which I am a member of in Kalamazoo http://www.DiscoverLighthouseChurch.com )is reading through the entire New Testament during Lent using "The Books of the Bible/New Testament" put out by http://www.Biblica.com I was not sure if I would like this format or not- the NIV Bible basically set up in chronological order and like a normal reading book- no verse numbers, notes, or chapter divisions. I have already read through the book of Luke (which is first), and it is terrific! You can read quite normally and rather quickly through the New Testament as though it were a biography or history book. Really amazed me, I think I might be able to read through the entire NT in 40 days for sure. Great resource, I think it costs about $7.00 for a softcover edition.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Just as a total sidebar again, I ordered the "Cover the Spot" trick from Penguin magic today- and later today they sent me an actual video of the order being packaged, complete with a close up of the shipping label to me. Unbelievable. That is incredibly great service.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Science effect in search of a routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL