The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorizing the Joyal Stack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
I've studied the memorized deck now for 15 months trying to decide which version would be best. My biggest concern was the ability to have built in stacks (no gambling demo stuff). After 12 months of reading and preparing, I determined to build my own. I gave it a shot at memorizing, to limited success.

Recently, I purchased a copy of the Joyal 6-Hour Memorized Deck book. I read it from cover to cover to determine whether the system would be favorable. I was impressed with the methodology of learning the system and the actual layout. Although there are no built in stacks, the methodology seemed very good.

Then I determined, were the built in stack effects worth having in a memo deck after all. After careful study of the effects both with and without dependant stacks, I determined that I could abandon the idea of having stacks built into my memo deck.

So then I thought, what the hell, I'll give the Joyal stack a shot at memorizing. All I can say is this . . .

The Joyal system is realllllllllllllllllly easy to learn, and . . .

remembering the Joyal system is like cheating!

So if you're on the bubble, you really owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Smile
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
I completely agree with 10cardsdown,

I also learned the Joyal Stack (in less than 6 hours!) and the main reasons are;

-Frist: I do not have prior mnemonic training, nor do
I care for the ones given by Mr Aronson, mainly
because English is NOT my first language.

-Secondly, my mind works much better with formulas,
and there are only 14 to remember!!! (instead of 104
words)

-Thirdly: all of the built-in effects in the Aronson
stack can be done with a normal deck!!! (so to me
this is not really a plus)

-Fourth: even though Mr Joyal wrote in his book that
his stack does not have spelling effects, I found
more in his stack than the ones for the Aronson
explained in "Bound To Please". (If you want them
just send me an e-mail and I will gladly send them to
you)

Although this is MY favorite stack, everyone should research the subject before-hand as there are 4 main points to consider when you decide to choose which stack to memorize (listed in no particular order):

-Does it look like a shuffled deck?
-How easy is it to memorize?
-Will it remains in your memory for a long time?
-Are there any built-in tricks? (THAT YOU WILL ACTUALY USE!)

The way you prioritize these questions will lead you to the right stack to memorize.

Notwithstanding which particular stack you choose, it is actually much easier to learn than you might think, especially when compared to some sleights such as a classic pass or a second deal! And as opposed to some sleights, you can practice your memorized deck anywhere (car, while waiting in line, in the shower, on the j*hn, etc....)

Have fun!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
Recite the stack every morning in the shower in less than 60 seconds, and you will never forget your stack. (Um, that assumes one showers every morning!)
Nick
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Ronnie, it's hard to believe that English isn't your first language. You write better than most posters for whom English is the first (and probably only) language.

Joyal's stack is tops. It's the one I use.

Larry D.
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Larry Davidson wrote:
"Ronnie, it's hard to believe that English isn't your first language. You write better than most posters for whom English is the first (and probably only) language. "

Hi Mr Davidson,

Actually French is my first language, but I must admit that I teach English (ESL)!!! And my wife to be is English, so I am kind of assimilated (this sounds like the Borgs in Star Trek!!!)

And I second your statement;
"Joyal's stack is tops. It's the one I use. "

It is indeed an excellent stack, and the one I also use.

Funny story; Mr Joyal and I both live in the same city, and I must have seen him at least 10-15 times before I even knew he was that particular Mr Joyal, as everyone calls him "Martin" (his first name). Mr Joyal is a gentleman, and he is very knowledgable and helpful if you have any questions about magic (concerning his stack or not).

And he is also a member of this forum!!!

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorizing the Joyal Stack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL