The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Question re: switch for LED and Coin Battery (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have a set-up using an LED, with each wire that comes from the LED going to either side of a coin battery.

What I need is some kind of pressure swithch to turn the LED on and off. Unfortunately, I do not know what name this little thing is known by. I have seen one before, kind of a silver, almost flat "cone" that with pressure between 2 fingers will allow one of the wires to touch the battery, completing the circuit and turning the LED on.

As it will be used with a coin battery (less than the diameter of a quarter), it will be quite small, probably 1/4" in diameter or less.

Would be grateful is someone could tell me what these little things are called Smile

Thanks ~
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
I am assuming the switch is hidden. Is the switch for toe, finger, elbow.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
As mentioned above, it is

This is not a switch in the conventional sense of the word. Think of the action as that of a clicker - the piece stays in a certain shape (in this case, a slight cone shape) and rests on one side of the battery. There is a wire on that. When pressed, the "switch" flexes into a different position, and allows the wire to touch the battery.

Imagine a very flat cone - think of a very small, flexible metal disk that is just slightly cone-shaped.

The fact that the piece is not completely flat while resting on the battery keeps the connection from occuring. When pressed, the metal "gives" and allows the wire to touch the battery, making a connection, and the LED lights up. When you release pressure, the metal pops back to its original shape, moving the wire away from the battery, and the LED goes out because the connection is no there.

In the case I'm using it for, this piece would have less than the diameter of a dime.

Think of a keychain light that will light up when a button is pressed, and go out when pressure is released.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Here are a couple of pictures.

The first shows the switch as you would see it from above. There is a dimple that curves down toward the whatever it will connect with underneath. A wire is taped on top of this. When the switch is pressed, the dimple lowers, and touches the what it needs to, and the connection is made. The circular edge of the switch rests on a sticker with a hole in the center, so the edge is separated from what the dimple will connect with, and only the dimple will actually touch. When pressure is released, the switch pops back to its normal position.

2nd photo is from the underside of the switch.

Again, just need to know what this little item is called.

AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
It looks and sounds like it is part of a membrane switch.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Google "Dome Switch"

The old classic Atari joystick had five of these. They were taped in place on the circuit board.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Great! Thank you! It appears that "dome switches" are what I am looking for. It was very interesting looking up info on membrane switches, as well.

Thanks again - much appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Question re: switch for LED and Coin Battery (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL