The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Howdy from Texas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
I am a library director in Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth area). Prior to that I was a children's and teen librarian. I have also been a reference librarian, an IT librarian, and a city software trainer. I was a contract programmer/developer for large corporations for about 8 years prior to entering the library world, and a cultural anthropology grad student before that.

I have been a storyteller for about a decade now, and have done a lot of puppetry, as well. These days I mainly perform in my official capacity as a librarian, but I also do it in my spare time, generally for schools, other libraries, and non-profits of various types. In the early 2000s I was lucky to be given the opportunity to help set up a children's library in Thailand. I was there for about 5 weeks, and got to do a lot of storytelling with the kids who attended the school (they taught English there). I developed a love of shadow puppetry while there, and ended up doing a lot of it once I became a librarian, in addition to doing workshops for kids and adults.

I have just started learning magic, both to enhance my other performances and to eventually start doing children's magic shows. In addition to children's magic, I am interested in bizarre magic, primarily as a hobby - something to do for friends and family.

I have really enjoyed reading the various posts on the Magic Café. It has been a great source of information, and I am particularly grateful for all the book and video suggestions that people post. I have been able to put together a nice beginner's reading list as a result, and am currently spending my time working through that.

Thanks!

Jesse
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome pickin_grinnin,

We've already met in "The Little Darlings" forum.

Thank you so much for your post and advice there. Very helpful. (I wish you sent it to me only in a Private Message.) LOL

Have fun and keep a journal of your progress. I will help you see how far you've come and what panned out and what did not.

-Mary Mowder
lotcaster
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
151 Posts

Profile of lotcaster
Mary - That's a great idea. I will definitely do that! Thanks!
vkurchenkov
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of vkurchenkov
Welcome pickin_grinnin
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Welcome Jesse and howdy from Dallas. You know we have a very active magic club which meets the third Tuesday of the month up in Carrollton. We have lots of fun and learn some stuff too. This past year we had a terrific lecture on puppetry, another on street magic from Eric Evans and in March we will be talking about library shows, which is something you could really help with. Come join us. We're at Dallasmagic.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Howdy from Texas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL