The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Darn those cheater magicians. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I paid a magician and his friend to put improvements on my Flash Appearance as they took it from my house. They were suppose to bring it to a theater so I could use it. They did not because they said they were not done with it yet. He was suppose to bring it back to my house after the gig. I called him repeatedly, but he would not return my calls. He would not return my apparatus to my house. I did not know where he lived.

I did some investigating. I found his address. I did not want to rent anything to bring my equipment from his house. Our contract was for him to bring it back.

I am the first case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckc55WBAa18

I got my stuff back now.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16363 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile Cool!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I'm waiting for the lawyers to chime in ha ha ha ha ha! I have to say Dynamike, that was a pretty entertaining case on the Judge Mathis show Smile You definately made the show even though it was suppose to be a court case. Hopefully, I never end up in court, but if for some reason I do and it's a civil matter that is not too serious, I will feel obliged to perform a few tricks myself to bring a smile to peoples faces watching the case. LOL
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5902 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Mike, your story here doesn't mesh with your story there 100%. Did you dumb it down for TV?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tom, one reason is because the judge would not let me finish telling everything. There was more I explained in the courtroom, but they edited it out, I guess for time. Plus my story above is everything between me and the other magician, I left out the part when I ran into his aunt.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
176 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 21:30, Dynamike wrote:
Our contract was for him to bring it back.

I am the first case:

I got my stuff back now.

Hi Mike,

I enjoyed your routines. And I'm glad you got your stuff back. Just curious though - was there a written contract?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
At last a new venue for performing magic! I'm going to get myself arrested and load up with a few Svengalis! Smile
No, seriously, well done Mike.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-22 08:46, landmark wrote:
At last a new venue for performing magic! I'm going to get myself arrested and load up with a few Svengalis! Smile
No, seriously, well done Mike.

First escape the handcuffs. Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2014-02-22 08:35, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2014-02-21 21:30, Dynamike wrote:
Our contract was for him to bring it back.

I am the first case:

I got my stuff back now.

Hi Mike,

I enjoyed your routines. And I'm glad you got your stuff back. Just curious though - was there a written contract?

Ron

No, nothing was written down. I knew him for a few years. I trusted him.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
No, nothing was written down. I knew him for a few years. I trusted him.

In most cases, use a contract, even with friends and family. You have to seperate business from friendship or family even when dealing with friends or family on a business deal. It's like having a family member working for you in business. You can't give them special treatment. If you want to run an effective business, they should be treated like any other employee or any other person you contract out to.

There are a few exceptions when you might not use a contract, but rare, but in most cases always use a contract, even with friends and family when it comes to business. If he did not fulfill his end of the bargain, then it's breach of contract and you have it in writing to take to court. You want a lawyer to prepare the contract though. I didn't realize they edited some parts of the show. That's good to know, that way I know when I watch those shows I am not getting the full side of the story from each side.

It's a good idea to have a knowledgeable entertainment lawyer and small business lawyer to draft up your contracts and release forms. The small business lawyer can help you incorporate or set up in LLC and draft your Operating Agreement, Articles of Organization and such (this is talking about the LLC side of the house). Corporations have corporate by-laws in which a lawyer might be useful as well.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21008 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I especially liked the part where you tried to play the race card and were told no way by the Judge.

Glad to see justice done. You got back your equipment. Good for you. But it occurred to me that all you had to do was go pick it up in the first place, which is exactly what it he judge had you do anyhow.

I wish you continued success with your TV career.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-22 12:24, Dannydoyle wrote:
I especially liked the part where you tried to play the race card and were told no way by the Judge.

Glad to see justice done. You got back your equipment. Good for you. But it occurred to me that all you had to do was go pick it up in the first place, which is exactly what it he judge had you do anyhow.

I wish you continued success with your TV career.

You shouldn't be so harsh Danny with comments like "I wish you continued success with your TV career." He is a magician and not a TV actor. You should try to be more positive for a change. You'll enjoy life much better. Given that the show was edited (just like when cops get caught on video tape and get started on their 'TV career') we really don't know the full story for both sides and the video camera or TV show doesn't always capture the full, accurate picture. I don't know Dynamike personally, but from the PMs I have exchanged with him he seems like a genuinely good guy and he is helpful to his fellow magicians. Dynamike has helped me out a lot in some of the advice he has offerred in helping me become a better children's magician.

Not only that, but at least Dynamike used the courts to resolve his issues. I mean, people could just start taking matters in their own hands instead of using the courts to resolve disputes because they don't want to be seen as some sort of TV careerist or seem like they just like showing up in court to garner attention. That of course would just create more problems for everybody when people decide not to use the courts to resolve disputes and decide to take matters in their own hands because they don't want to be seen as trying to garner attention or being an attention seeker. The court is there so that people can take diputes and settle them in a civilized manner.

The fact that Dynamike chose to appear on TV is his business and it also illustrates that not even magicians are immune from being sued or having to become a plaintiff and this is not the first case I have seen with magicians in the courtroom either. We are also very fortunately to live in a country where we can go to court and have our disputes heard. The courts here in this country are very good about allowing cases to be heard in comparison to most other countries. Some cases that are allowed in US courts wouldn't be allowed in the courts in other countries, but I think it's good that if we have a dispute, we know chances are, the courts will be willing to give us an ear and make a decision one way or another (and the courts don't always decide in our favor, but at least we had an opportunity to have our diputes heard, which in many countries, people don't even have that opportunity when they have a dispute).

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21008 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Now you tell others how to enjoy their lives? You need to get a grip LOL.

I wish him success and I am being harsh? Try reading what is written not reading into what is written. You constantly make incorrect assumptions about stories or others and fill in facts on your own. Try having facts to start.

All I said was he could have just picked up his stuff in the first place like he ended up doing anyhow. Show me where that is wrong.

Also it is sort of unfair to bash a guy and use a thread title calling him a "cheater" when he is not here to defend himself. The guy won the case and is now being bashed on a public forum. Do you support this? I don't. You only have one side of the story and that is always enough for you isn't it?

This whole thread is negative and it is not me who caused it. Calling a guy a "cheater" even after he won might be actionable. But according to your line of reasoning I am the problem here hun? What about the guy being slagged? He is not even here to defend himself but you are good with it huh?

Maybe getting an entire story and not judging others would help.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-22 13:49, Dannydoyle wrote:
Now you tell others how to enjoy their lives? You need to get a grip LOL.

I wish him success and I am being harsh? Try reading what is written not reading into what is written. You constantly make incorrect assumptions about stories or others and fill in facts on your own. Try having facts to start.

All I said was he could have just picked up his stuff in the first place like he ended up doing anyhow. Show me where that is wrong.

Also it is sort of unfair to bash a guy and use a thread title calling him a "cheater" when he is not here to defend himself. The guy won the case and is now being bashed on a public forum. Do you support this? I don't. You only have one side of the story and that is always enough for you isn't it?

This whole thread is negative and it is not me who caused it. Calling a guy a "cheater" even after he won might be actionable. But according to your line of reasoning I am the problem here hun? What about the guy being slagged? He is not even here to defend himself but you are good with it huh?

Maybe getting an entire story and not judging others would help.

I am not talking about the other guy, I am talking about your smart alek comment "Good luck with your TV career" when Dynamike clearly is concerned with having a career as a magician and not a TV actor. Besides, even if Dynamike didn't win his case, he did the right thing by taking his case to court and letting the courts decide even if it was the Judge Mathis show.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21008 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But obviously you support him bashing the other magician here in a public forum by calling him a "cheater" even after he lost the case right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-02-22 12:53, General_Magician wrote:
...The courts here in this country are very good about allowing cases to be heard in comparison to most other countries. Some cases that are allowed in US courts wouldn't be allowed in the courts in other countries, but I think it's good that if we have a dispute, we know chances are, the courts will be willing to give us an ear and make a decision one way or another (and the courts don't always decide in our favor, but at least we had an opportunity to have our diputes heard, which in many countries, people don't even have that opportunity when they have a dispute).

Congratulations. I didn't know it was possible to say the same thing so many times in the same paragraph. Smile
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Congratulations. I didn't know it was possible to say the same thing so many times in the same paragraph.

At least I am not a grammar Nazi.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
But obviously you support him bashing the other magician here in a public forum by calling him a "cheater" even after he lost the case right?

Dynamike is entitled to his opinion of the guy, even if he did lose the case. I don't know the other guy. My dealings with Dynamike thus far has been positive and I don't know him personally. Dynamike seems like a genuinely nice guy and he has a good heart. He has taken the time to help me and has had a postive impact for me. Honestly, I value Dynamike's opinions on matters when it comes to magic. He might not win his case in court, but I also know that just because you lose a case in court, doesn't mean the opinion of the loser is not necessarily without merit.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2014-02-22 15:17, General_Magician wrote
Quote:
Congratulations. I didn't know it was possible to say the same thing so many times in the same paragraph.

At least I am not a grammar Nazi.

Nothing wrong with your grammar. Just thought it was pretty funny how many times you managed to say that people in other countries don't always have the same access to courts as we do.

I thought you said you were studying comedy writing. Having a sense of humor is a good starting point.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
Nothing wrong with your grammar. Just thought it was pretty funny how many times you managed to say that people in other countries don't always have the same access to courts as we do.

I thought you said you were studying comedy writing. A sense of humor is a good place to start.
Bob Cassidy

I have been studying writing but I also got overwhelmed with other duties with my company, plus doing rehearsals as well for gigs. I'll get back on it. Just sometimes my other duties to my company takes priority and then having to take the time to spend time with family and also have a little time for myself. Criticizing how somebody writes doesn't strike me as a good way to strike up a humorous conversation. I have a great sense of humor, but trying to intellectually bully me by criticizing my grammar or how I write is probably not the way to strike my comedy cord. I never attended law school nor was a I very good at English 101 in college.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Darn those cheater magicians. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL