We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Darn those cheater magicians. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Smile

Lighten up.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Actually, to be quite honest, I was never a brilliant student in college and was a substandard student. However, I never gave up and eventually graduated after 8 years and a deployment to Bosnia in the middle of those 8 years and I graduated debt free without owing anybody any money. I don't think you are all bad though Bob and you seem like a good guy for the most part. You seem like you are also pretty smart and well educated though I don't agree with you being a Vietnam anti-war protestor. But I know that's a personal subject matter for you and it's a subject I don't wish to enter into discussing again. Different time, different era and it was an era before my time. But I also have a warrior side to me that frowns on the anti-war movement during the Vietnam era. But that era is done and over with and is now long gone and it's time to look to the future and move on. Besides nobody is perfect and you can't expect everybody to be perfect.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
So I guess you didn't care for Country Joe and the Fish. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I am going to write this and hope it goes well.

I don't care how long it took you to finish college. I am impressed that when faced with it taking so long, you stuck to it and managed to accomplish it anyhow. Not a bad quality. Often the ability to persevere is a more important quality than just being given the gift.

But General you seem to lack the capacity to learn and expand your mind beyond your own horizons. You get an idea and it is unshakable. No matter HOW MANY facts you are shown you just dig in further. I imagine this comes from that same place your ability to persevere does. In this case it is not such a great quality.

Mike has chosen to slag this guy. You say it is his "opinion" but imagine if it was YOU he was slagging. Imagine how you would feel if you did not have the ability to tell your side and he just went after you and used a word like "cheater" to describe you. ESPECIALLY after you have been found not guilty in a court of law.

I think you should put some thought behind this. You are not a bad guy. I just think you get blinkered by your own opinion.

And as Bob says, lighten up a bit.

(Notice how I avoided all the obvious jokes and didn't poke fun at but rather supported and complimented your circumstance? I doubt you noticed or care but I could be wrong.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
On 2014-02-22 16:19, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea I am going to write this and hope it goes well.

I don't care how long it took you to finish college. I am impressed that when faced with it taking so long, you stuck to it and managed to accomplish it anyhow. Not a bad quality. Often the ability to persevere is a more important quality than just being given the gift.

But General you seem to lack the capacity to learn and expand your mind beyond your own horizons. You get an idea and it is unshakable. No matter HOW MANY facts you are shown you just dig in further. I imagine this comes from that same place your ability to persevere does. In this case it is not such a great quality.

Mike has chosen to slag this guy. You say it is his "opinion" but imagine if it was YOU he was slagging. Imagine how you would feel if you did not have the ability to tell your side and he just went after you and used a word like "cheater" to describe you. ESPECIALLY after you have been found not guilty in a court of law.

I think you should put some thought behind this. You are not a bad guy. I just think you get blinkered by your own opinion.

And as Bob says, lighten up a bit.

(Notice how I avoided all the obvious jokes and didn't poke fun at but rather supported and complimented your circumstance? I doubt you noticed or care but I could be wrong.)

No I took notice. I appreciate it, thank you. However, if I did business with Mike and he was upset with my work or there was some problem or trouble, I would try to work it out and make sure he was satisfied and felt at ease. I would also have a contract signed before any work took place. It's not about me, but about the customer (though their are some extreme examples when the customer is clearly out of bounds and wrong, but I am not sure if this particular case fits that defination). If he still wasn't satisfied, then the work would be free to him and he would owe me nothing (I don't take payment until after the job is complete and the customer is satisfied). I would also apologize.

Hopefully, that might lighten his criticism a little bit but that is no guarantee. No business likes to have upset customers and they certainly don't like to end up in court even if they win their case as it could still reflect negatively on them. When a customer pays you to do a job he has every right to evaluate your work. If he is not satisfied, then you just have to figure out where you went wrong and make sure not to make that mistake again as it could earn you negative word of mouth advertising and harm your reputation as a businessman. In my case, if a customer is not satisfied with my work, then he owes me nothing and the work complete is free of charge. It's part of my guarantee.

Dynamike was a paying customer in this case and given this ended up in court, the guy who he is paying most likely messed up in his customer service somewhere along the way.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not according to the facts. Pesky little things those facts are.

Also it is about him coming here and slagging a guy who is not here to defend himself. Then you rise up in support of that and say he has a right to an opinion.

Like I said put some thought into it.

Oh and Bob is right. Lighten up.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

The guy Dynamike was doing business with obviously did not put his customer at ease enough to where he felt safe going to his house and getting his equipment that he was paid to work on. Honestly, I think the businessman should have delievered it to Dynamike, even if Dynamike was dis-satisfied. It's part of customer service in my opinion and Dynamike shouldn't have to go through the trouble of picking up the equipment himself.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
WHO CARES? The point is him coming HERE AND SLAGGING THE GUY when he can not defend himself. Which word is giving you all the trouble?

Also, yet again you have ONE SIDE of a story, and make up the rest. See a pattern?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Quote:
WHO CARES? The point is him coming HERE AND SLAGGING THE GUY when he can not defend himself. Which word is giving you all the trouble?

Also, yet again you have ONE SIDE of a story, and make up the rest. See a pattern?

From a business perspective it doesn't really matter who is right or wrong. The customer, in this case, Dynamike, wasn't happy. And even if the customer was not exactly fair in his opinion, it still doesn't matter because that customer, or any customer, is going to go and talk bad about you and your business to other people and other people will listen and not want to do business with you. Your goal as a businessman should be to make sure the customer is happy, even if he is a being a little unreasonable. You want to prevent negative word of mouth about your business and that's not going to help by making the customer feeling like they need to take you to court to resolve a problem they have with you, even if the court rules in your favor, you still have to deal with the negative word of mouth advertising afterwards. That's just how people are. Customers will say something bad about you before they say something good about you. You could be doing really awesome and it all it takes one little screw up to ruin your reputation. It's not fair. It sucks. But that's the way it is. Business can be very unforgiving.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You have NO IDEA what the guy tried to do. But fill in as you like as usual LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

That's why in my opinion, a businessman's legal strategy should be to prevent the costs of the courtroom. The costs of the courtroom can cripple a business. Part of the costs of the courtroom is negative word of mouth advertising. So, even if you win your case, you still deal with the negative word of mouth advertising afterwards. Even if you win, you still lose. Plus the legal fees can be staggerring. So a legal and business strategy aimed at hopefully preventing the costs of the courtroom is important. That will involve an investment up front in seeking legal advice and the work of a competent attorney as part of that strategy.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2014-02-22 12:53, General_Magician wrote:

... Dynamike chose to appear on TV is his business and it also illustrates that not even magicians are immune from being sued or having to become a plaintiff and this is not the first case I have seen with magicians in the courtroom either. We are also very fortunately to live in a country where we can go to court and have our disputes heard. The courts here in this country are very good about allowing cases to be heard in comparison to most other countries. Some cases that are allowed in US courts wouldn't be allowed in the courts in other countries, but I think it's good that if we have a dispute, we know chances are, the courts will be willing to give us an ear and make a decision one way or another (and the courts don't always decide in our favor, but at least we had an opportunity to have our diputes heard, which in many countries, people don't even have that opportunity when they have a dispute).

Wait. I thought Dynamike appeared on a tv show? In front of an actor playing a judge on a "reality court" show? (Admittedly, the actor in question - Greg Mathis - was a real judge prior to his tv career, but that was then and this is now.)

Are you saying that the "court" of Judge Mathis, produced by Syndicated Productions and Telepictures Productions and distributed by Warner Bros. Television Distribution, is truly a part of the vaunted U.S. courts system?

If not, it seems what we saw would be more of a reflection of how _poor_ the U.S. courts system is, if people have to resort to appearing on tv to try and obtain "justice". Instead of appearing in a _real_ court, I mean.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20973 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Balducci thank you buddy.

This probably qualifies as arbitration in real life LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2817 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
OK, I've seen the clip. You said in the OP that he didn't bring the prop. In the case, he said he DID bring the prop and you couldn't use it because you hadn't had time to rehearse with it. You then stated he "refused" to return your prop to you. In fact, they BEGGED you to come get the prop. Your claim is that you didn't want to rent a truck and your "agreement" was that he would return the prop to you. Then you claim that you didn't have a contract, only a verbal agreement. (I think we all know the cliche about verbal agreements being worth the paper they're printed on.) I'm glad you got your prop back (did you have to finally rent a truck to get it?) but the judge was right, you had no case.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

We can get all technical regarding the TV show, but Dynamike who was still the paying customer, wasn't satisfied. When the customer is paying it has nothing to do with you. The guy probably should have simply asked Dynamike where he can drop the prop off since he could not use it at the show given that Dynamike had not time to rehearse with it. This also should been spelled out in a written contract in my opinion, with all the specifics. Not sure if this guy rented a truck himself to return the prop, but he should have returned it to Dynamike at a location of Dynamike's choosing, even if Dynamike could not use it in the show due to a lack of practice and rehearsal. Dynamike was a customer and for whatever reason wasn't satisfied with the services he recieved. So, it's inevitable that customers talk bad about businessmen or businesses that do not meet customer expectations. That's all part of the game in business. Their is no such thing as easy money.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1278 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On , General_Magician wrote:
We can get all technical regarding the TV show, but Dynamike who was still the paying customer, wasn't satisfied. When the customer is paying it has nothing to do with you. The guy probably should have simply asked Dynamike where he can drop the prop off since he could not use it at the show given that Dynamike had not time to rehearse with it. This also should been spelled out in a written contract in my opinion, with all the specifics. Not sure if this guy rented a truck himself to return the prop, but he should have returned it to Dynamike at a location of Dynamike's choosing, even if Dynamike could not use it in the show due to a lack of practice and rehearsal. Dynamike was a customer and for whatever reason wasn't satisfied with the services he recieved. So, it's inevitable that customers talk bad about businessmen or businesses that do not meet customer expectations. That's all part of the game in business. Their is no such thing as easy money.

Are you saying Dynamike wasn't satisfied?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

I don't know. Let's let Dynamike speak for himself. I would think he would not be satisfied if he felt the need to go to court or a courtroom TV show. I know if I ever had to resort to going to court I would not be a satisfied customer. But I am not Dynamike. I think we can let him chime in and speak for himself here on the thread, that is if he is willing to do so. I am also curious if Dynamike would do business with this same guy again after this fiasco? My bet is that he would not do business with this same person again after it ended up in court.

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The 3 reasons I did not want to go and pick it up:

1). The main reason. At the beginning I gave the guy and his friend $200 to fix up my illusion by adding a fog machine and strobe lights. He was suppose to bring it to the gig, next, to my house after the gig. He stop returning my calls. I did not know where he lived at first. When I found out where he lived, the fog machine and strobe lights he was suppose to get for me were not with my equipment. I wanted to talk to him directly to see where those items I paid for were. His aunt did not care about those items, even I told her I paid for them. She would just tell me to come get my stuff. I rather take everything away the same time. He was being childish my hiding behind his aunt. He should have called me, not her.

2). I noticed her being hostile. If I would have went back, something negative could have happened. We probably wold have gotten into an argument the same way we got in one over on the phone many times. She would probably lie and have me put in jail. When I did go pick up my equipment after the show, she did called the deputy sheriffs to her house.

3). It was about 30 miles away. I did not want to drive back there again.

I bet he bought me my fogger and strobe lights after he noticed I was taking him to court. I bet the reason he did not bring it to the gig is because he and his friend was not ready with it, they were part of the show too. At the gig he told me he bought the strobe lights and fogger, but they did not have it ready yet. Common sense, if they would have brought it to the gig, I would not mind mentioning it. I would just say he did not bring it back to my house. You will noticed I mentioned the gig was on May 3rd and May 5th. We were there early for rehearsal. There was no show on May 4th. We were there too on the 4th for rehearsal. Each time he did not bring my illusion.

I have a strong feeling why he is not living with his parents.

You will notice when he spoke he mentioned the magic shop was suppose to return my props to my house. If that was true I would be suing the magic shop instead for not delivering my props. He did mention the truth when he mentioned he picked up my equipment from my house. Common sense, how could it end up at his house if the magic shop was suppose to pick it up to return it to me? He thought he could get away with a free prop by me giving him my money, and by me not knowing his address.

His aunt was just as upset I busted him knowing where he lives. I brought two black guys with me. Common sense she is angry at the ones who told me where her nephew lives. She called the magic shop in an angry manner for telling me where her nephew lived. I do not know if she felt threatened seriously, but I can see her speaking negatively even though she might not mean what she said. The reordering of her voice was longer than what I had. It was shortened and edited as it was aired. You will notice she said she will throw my stuff on the street if I do not pick it up tomorrow. She will go out of her mind with her exaggeration. That makes it more stronger she did tell others she felt threatened by me bringing two black men to her house. The magic shop told me they do not want to get involved with her again. That is why they refused to sign anything to give me for a witness statement.

You will noticed how he had a happy face throughout the court case. If I was making this up suing them for no reason, he would be upset himself. Since he got away with what he did wrong is why nothing bothered him in court.

I am still glad I was being cautious. If I would have tried to pick it up earlier, I probably would have seen a criminal judge instead. I can imagine if I saw a criminal judge saying, "If you felt uncomfortable, why didn't you just go to civil court."

You will notice I mentioned I heard she said she "felt" threatened. I court she said "I was not threatened..." There is a difference. I bet the reason she put it that was because she was being cautious in case I had witness statements reading she mentioned she "felt" threatened. If I wanted to lie about that I could have said she said something racial to me directly when I arrived to her house. It was not just the magic shop that told me she said she "felt" threatened. It was mutual friends/associates too.

Staying under control is important in court. I have a strong feeling she was adding lies to try and get me to lose control in court. A lot was deleted from the video.

The good news is it paid off. Even though I did not get the money I was suing for, I got my props back. Clippings from the video of me doing my magic makes a great promo.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On , imgic wrote:

Are you saying Dynamike wasn't satisfied?

I would have been more comfortable if the judge ordered him to deliver it to me instead. I paid someone to take me and pick it up from their house. in their van. I still felt nervous picking it up even though the judge ordered me to. As I mentioned above she call the deputy sheriffs on me.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
575 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
You made Video of the Week at www.VanishLive.com, congrats Smile

Is that show like Judge Judy in the sense that it's not an actual court and any judgements either way get paid for by the production company not the litigants?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Judy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Darn those cheater magicians. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL